Musher1993

• Musher1993
      Musher1993
      Bronze
      Hi there, i've been playing poker properly for a couple of months now but i decided its time to try and study one style as much as possible rather than dab into cash games, SnGs and MTTs. This seemed a good place to start so here goes
  • 10 replies
    • Musher1993
      Musher1993
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? I enjoy the challenge of trying to work out what the other person has and the best way to use their playstyle to my advantage.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? I get hung up on streaks of losing while way ahead when the money was put in the pot leading to tilting. I also try to bluff to often against players who i shouldn't.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive? TAG is not playing a large range of hands but making the hands you play count by being the aggressor and trying to force the villain into bad situations.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

What about tilt? Do you adjust something against it? For example:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Another option against tilt is to set yourself shorter sessions which might avoid you from tilting. If you playing longer sessions then it's more likely that during that session you can get upset. So work on your game and try to find out what makes you tilt and try to fight against it.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.
    • Musher1993
      Musher1993
      Bronze
      Thanks for the reply,
      I haven't had a chance to get much practice in but hopefully tomorrow i can get a couple of sessions in and post some hands for analysis.
      I tend to play short sessions but i'll certainly look at using stop-loss at around 2BI down, maybe less than 2 if its due to terrible plays.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Musher1993
      Thanks for the reply,
      I haven't had a chance to get much practice in but hopefully tomorrow i can get a couple of sessions in and post some hands for analysis.
      I tend to play short sessions but i'll certainly look at using stop-loss at around 2BI down, maybe less than 2 if its due to terrible plays.
      Nah, we can't really use a lot less than 2BIs. For default I'd usually advice to set it to 3 and then decide accordingly. Or how many tables do you play?
    • Musher1993
      Musher1993
      Bronze
      At the moment 1-2, Ladbrokes doesn't have many tables available at NL2 so theres normally no more than 2 tables worth playing at a time, usually only one
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      At the moment 1-2, Ladbrokes doesn't have many tables available at NL2 so theres normally no more than 2 tables worth playing at a time, usually only one
      I assume you are playing FR? Although even for FR there should be still more tables than just 1-2. But yeah, for 1-2 like 2BIs should be cool.
    • Musher1993
      Musher1993
      Bronze
      Yeah i play FR, a lot of the tables are off access for the $50 pokerstrategy until you deposit which i can't do for now so out of the remaining tables theres normally not many with 7-9 players and a decent %players going to the flop which i think is how to find a good table?

Thanks for the stoploss advice i'll try to use that at 2BI for now and adjust it when i feel more comfortable, when you said to post hands for analysis did you mean in this thread or in the hand analysis section?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Yeah i play FR, a lot of the tables are off access for the $50 pokerstrategy until you deposit which i can't do for now so out of the remaining tables theres normally not many with 7-9 players and a decent %players going to the flop which i think is how to find a good table?

Do you mean higher limits tables? Why would you want to play on higher limits but normal NL2 tables should be still possible to join. It's not always about players going to flop % but could also be about AVG pot and what kind of stacks you are against.

Thanks for the stoploss advice i'll try to use that at 2BI for now and adjust it when i feel more comfortable, when you said to post hands for analysis did you mean in this thread or in the hand analysis section?

Hand Evaluation section, here we rather discuss about theory.
    • Musher1993
      Musher1993
      Bronze
      Some of the NL2 tables are greyed out until you deposit, i'll try to look at the stack sizes more when i select a table now as well in that case.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Some of the NL2 tables are greyed out until you deposit, i'll try to look at the stack sizes more when i select a table now as well in that case.
      Oh, I see. Very interesting situation, never heard of it. It's most likely protecting you from losing all the money.