Stu24023

• Stu24023
      Stu24023
      Bronze
      Hi,

Just thought i would introduce myself, im stuart and im 31 living just outside of london. I have recently got into Poker. Not too sure where it came from, but it appears i have caught the bug. I found this site after recording some programmes off the Poker Channel on Sky and passed the quiz and here we are!!

LESSON 1 HOMEWORK:
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      My motivation is to have a suplementary income after learning how to play properly. I am a person who works shifts and occasional weekends, and i am a gamer. I have fallen into this game as it allows me to play anytime and on days off when the other half is at work. I like that it is a game that uses your brain and deductive decision making, something which i enjoy.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      My weaknesses so far are the same as when i got into Betfair some years ago and lost a fair chunk of money quickly. I look at the basics, have a go and then in no time at all i am vering off the strategy and doing my own thing!
      I realised i had begun this the other day when the third installment of $10 from Titan regarding my intitial $50 from the quiz had evaporated.
      This mistake kicked in and i hit myself over the head and decided to start this course. I today played about 250 hands and made $4. Maybe something in this strategy!!!!
      In short i need to keep focus, that is my major weakness and i hope its curable!

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      I have read the article and it would have been easy to rewrite the artices explination to sound like my own! Instead i will do this homework justice and give it a shot.
      Being tight and aggressive to me means playing only select hands be they monsters or those shown on hand strategy lists whilst in the correct position. When doing this the hands need to be played confidently / aggressively, to maximise the winning potential of the hand at the earliest oppertunity and in turn maximising the potential profit whilst minimising any losses.

Apologies for the spelling and also for the blurb / any gumpf!!

Be honest with criticism, brutality for the right reasons will be embraced.
  • 14 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

BRM is very important aspect of poker, which is kind of must to follow. If you ain't following it it will lead you just gambling money away. During tilt phase it could also be the case that you are more moody and which means that you are going to lose more money away. If you don't have a proper BRM then it will lead you to the losses. Therefore try to follow strictly to BRM and set up the buy-in rule for yourself what is a must need. Standard would be ~25BIs at least which for some is even aggressive BRM.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

What about tilt? Do you adjust something against it? For example:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Another option against tilt is to set yourself shorter sessions which might avoid you from tilting. If you playing longer sessions then it's more likely that during that session you can get upset. So work on your game and try to find out what makes you tilt and try to fight against it.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.
    • Stu24023
      Stu24023
      Bronze
      LESSON 2 HOMEWORK

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?
      Being fairly new to Poker the hand chart seems comprehensive in terms of what to do with what hands in certain spots. The only thing i would consider changing is being more aggressive and betting more with face cards if the opponents warrant it.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. Having issues getting hands off PT3 as it seems stuck on hands i played a month ago. I have tried clearing the memory, but will try again later and will post a hand.

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.
      Equity Win Tie
      MP2 53.68% 45.27% 8.41% 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo
      MP3 46.32% 37.91% 8.41% AKo
    • Stu24023
      Stu24023
      Bronze
      Posted hand!!

First posted hand!

iPoker - $0.02 NL - Holdem - 4 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3: http://www.pokertracker.com

Hero (BTN): $2.62
      SB: $6.27
      BB: $5.29
      UTG: $4.18

SB posts SB $0.01, BB posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero has Kc Ad

UTG calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.09, fold, BB calls $0.07, UTG calls $0.07

Flop: ($0.28, 3 players) Qh Js Ah
      BB bets $5.20, fold, Hero calls $2.53

Turn: ($5.34, 2 players) 5h

River: ($5.34, 2 players) 2d

Hero shows Kc Ad (One Pair, Aces) (Pre 66%, Flop 79%, Turn 70%)
      BB shows 7c Jh (One Pair, Jacks) (Pre 34%, Flop 21%, Turn 30%)
      Hero wins $4.99
    • Stu24023
      Stu24023
      Bronze
      Homework 3

Question 0: Download and install the Equilab. - DONE

Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33?
      KQo - 48.14
      33 - 51.86
      KQs - 50.6
      33 - 49.4
      How does the equity change on this flop: J53?
      KQs/33 - 5.2 / 94.8
      KQo/33 - 3.23/96.77

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't enough!)

No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)

Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24

Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

In this situation i would Fold as i feel that an Ace high with one from the flop or the turn is a distinct possibility, I know that we have 6 outs to improve our hand at about 8to1 and pot at about 4to1, but it is getting too expensive for me at these odds.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play?
      Nl2 Aa
      As commented on
    • Stu24023
      Stu24023
      Bronze
      LESSON 4 HOMEWORK

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop.

KK nl2

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.

[Zoom][FR] NL2 AKo

Question 3: You are on the flop with KQ. The board cards are J, 9, 8, and your opponent holds 77. What is your equity in this spot?

http://www.pokerstrategy.com
      Board: 9d8h7c
      Equity Win Tie
      MP2 96.77% 95.15% 1.62% { 77 }
      HERO 3.23% 1.62% 1.62% { KQo }
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Those face cards may look great but those are also one of those cards which can easily be overplayed. So I would advice you to watch out. Especially like QTo or whatsoever hands, they ain't usually very good in multiway pots. Cause you rarely going to be far-far ahead if you hit one pair.

Also for example what you could use and how to play them more aggressively is by isolating and taking the initiative rather than limping in. You will have the aggression and can always even take it down preflop, if not then we can always CBet the flop and see success there or either even hit.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress, keep going!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

If you have interests you could try calculating the equity with a formula which you can use even on tables(either playing online or live poker):
      (Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity

About Question #3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you.
    • Stu24023
      Stu24023
      Bronze
      HOMEWORK 5

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have based your decisions on the stats of your opponents.
      NL2 A9o
      Villan was running at 40VPIP

zoom NL2 - KQs

Question 3: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (7-handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($10)
      MP ($8)
      MP2 ($9)
      CO ($10)
      Hero($10)
      SB ($10) (17/13/2.6/24/1212) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      BB ($10) (27/9/2.0/29/333) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]

Preflop: Hero is BU with 6 , 7
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, SB calls $0.40, BB calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.20) 3 , 3 , T (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($1.20) J (3 players)
      SB bets $1.00, BB calls $1.00, Hero...

What action would you take, and why?
      In this situation i would raise, i think SB is more likely to have a premade hand, i also think that BB is playing quite loose and as such is likely to go to the flop with 99+

Question 4: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (8-handed)

Stacks & Stats
      UTG ($8)
      MP ($10)
      MP2 ($9)
      MP3 ($6)
      Hero ($10)
      BU ($10) (25/21/3.8/26/1250) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      SB ($10)
      BB ($10)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J , J
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, BU 3-bets to $1.30, 2 folds, Hero calls $1.30

Flop: ($2.75) 6 , 9 , T (2 players)
      Hero...

In this situation we have a good number of hands on the BU, we have a decent hand and the flop does not help many straights or flushes. I still think we are in the lead and would raise.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #5 Done!

About Task #3
      It's a very close decision: does protection or pot control weigh heavier here? Do you want to protect against hands like 3x or A:dx and K:dx? Or do you want to control the pot size and try to induce a bluff on the river in case there is no T, no J and no additional ?

Raise/fold is out of question - with the given pot size and the good made hand you have, it can't even be considered.

In case you decide to go broke, you can't really be blamed either. It's not a sign of weakness that the rather tight small blind decides to bet into two people here, though. I would say a call is to be slightly favored, while the many outs against you are annoying. The big blind who calls rather loosely speaks in favor of a raise/broke again. Both options are finally considered equal, which shows - all things considered - how close and full of variance these spots really are.

About Task #4
      You've called pre-flop and then hit a good board. You basically have two choices now: either you assume that your opponent will go broke loosely or puts you on a bluff often and you thus check/raise - or you play check/call in the spirit of way ahead / way behind. The problem with the latter is that there are a lot of cards you don't want to see in the later course of the hand. All in all, it depends on your balancing as both lines make sense under certain circumstances.

A check/fold would be really pointless, of course. It's hard to say whether you should donk-bet here; donk/fold can be discarded as that would turn your hand into a pure bluff and your opponent would interpret this as weakness and start raising you out of flops with hands like AK/AQ/air. So, if you want to donk-bet, it has to be a donk/3-bet.

Good luck on tables and with the Course.
    • Stu24023
      Stu24023
      Bronze
      HOMEWORK 6

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have either a) freeplay, b) slowplay, or c) multi-way pot situation.
      NL2 A10o

Kk 072012--

$25 NL Hold'em (10 handed)

Stacks & Stats
      UTG ($25)
      UTG+1 ($25) rock
      UTG+2 ($25)
      MP1 ($25)
      MP2 ($25) LAG
      MP3 ($25) maniac
      CO ($25)
      Hero BU ($25)
      SB ($25)
      BB ($25) calling station

Preflop: Hero is BU with Q , J
      5 folds, MP3 raises $1.00, CO calls $1.00, Hero calls $1.00, 1 fold, BB calls $1.00

Flop: ($4.10) 3 , J , A (4 players)
      BB checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($4.10) Q (4 players)
      BB bets $2.05, 2 folds, Hero...?

In this situation considering BB is a calling station and having made two pair i think we should bet strong and re-consider if re-raised. Having so many make their way into the pot to start with i think i think many would of had semi good starting hands.
    • Stu24023
      Stu24023
      Bronze
      HOMEWORK 7

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have played on a 6-max table (short-handed).
      NL2 AKo

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members
      Nl10 AA

$10 NL Hold'em (6 handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($10)
      MP ($10)
      CO ($10)
      BU($10)
      SB ($10)
      BB (Hero) ($10)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5 , 4
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.40, BU calls $0.40, SB calls $0.40, Hero calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.60) 3 , 2 , Q (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.20, CO Raises All-in, BU calls All-in, SB folds, Hero...

In this situation i would fold, although we have 14 outs two others have gone all in and the pot odds are about 3-4to1, it doesnt add up for me.

Question 4: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (6 handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($10)
      MP ($10)
      CO (Hero) ($10)
      BU($10)
      SB ($10)
      BB ($10)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A , K
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, BU calls $0.40, SB calls $0.40, BB calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.60) A , 4 , 4 (4 players)
      SB checks, BB bets $1.20, Hero...

In this situation i would re-raise and see what the response is. I think we are still ahead. If we are raised / the turn is dubious then i would re-evaluate
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #6 Done!

About Question #3:
      Two lines can quickly be discarded here: fold and raise/fold; your hand is simply too strong for those alternatives.

It's hard to assess whether you should put in a raise here. When a rather passive player decides to bet into three players while being out of position, it does look strong. It's more likely an indication of a made hand than that of a draw.

A raise naturally protects, but you run the risk of isolating yourself against very strong range. Which weaker hands could your opponent possibly continue playing here?

The deciding factor finally comes in the size of the pot. This tiny pot simply isn't worth putting yourself into a tough spot where you could potentially end up risking your entire stack. A raise would be overplayed here and pot control takes the precedent over protection.

Best of Luck on the tables and with the Course.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #7 Done!

About Question #3:
      In this case, you decided to bet out yourself and two players behind you go all-in. You would have to invest $8.40 in order to participate in a $22 pot, which corresponds to an equity of 27.63%.

Board: Q 3 2
      Dead:

Equity Win DrawLoss Hand
      Player 1: 38.538% 38.538% 0.000% 61.462% 5h4h
      Player 2: 14.540% 14.540% 0.000% 85.460% QQ+
      Player 3: 46.921% 46.921% 0.000% 53.079% 22-33

You get the required odds even when you're exclusively up against very strong hands!

About Question #4:
      Top pair / top kicker has been and will always be a hand that's tough to play, especially in a multi-way pot. In this case, you've hit a nice flop, but you're up against 3 opponents on a dry board which doesn't allow for any dangerous draws.

A fold on this board is, of course, too weak. You can't really hit much better and there might be worse Ax hands willing to pay you off.

If you think that your opponent(s) is/are often willing to go broke on the flop with worse hands, raising might not be the worst of choices. But one thing is clear: if you raise, you have to go all-in on the flop! Raise/fold with your top pair is absolutely out of question.

Even though this might leave a bitter aftertaste in a 4-way pot, you should play this like a way ahead / way behind spot here - by playing it passive, you will extract the maximum from weaker hands and bluffs while avoiding big losses against stronger hands.

Best of Luck on the Tables.