Continuation Bet? I think I should have

• Sashalyuber
      Sashalyuber
      Bronze
      After review it seems that I should have most defiantly threw in a continuation bet after seeing the flop. However what stopped me was the limits I was playing at (It seems that at these limits players like to call continuation bets and it's nice to have a moderately good hand to fall back on, however I could be wrong :) And in fact most likely am!)
      Another thing I'd like to talk about is the amount needed in order to effectively steal, would it be your usual 3 big blinds or something more along the lines of 4 to 5 big blinds?

Thanks so much for the help!

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

BB ($4)
      UTG ($5.83)
      UTG+1 ($2.66)
      MP1 ($4.86)
      MP2 ($7.40)
      MP3 ($6.07)
      Hero (CO) ($2)
      Button ($2.50)
      SB ($12.45)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J:heart: , 10:club:
      5 folds, Hero bets $0.20, Button calls $0.20, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.47) 3:club: , K:diamond: , 3:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, Button checks

Turn: ($0.47) 8:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, Button checks

River: ($0.47) 7:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, Button bets $0.27, Hero folds

Total pot: $0.47 | Rake: $0.02
  • 3 replies
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      Three big blinds is fine to steal, and c-betting in this situation is good imo. The board is paired, meaning it's less likely your opponent has a hand. It's a good board to c-bet in. Generally there are two types of c-betters:

Quantity. Always c-bet unless you come up with a good reason not to. (Villain calls a lot of them, multi-way pot, etc.) Rely on fold equity and villains not adjusting to profit. C-betting is really good: It's usually +EV.

Quality. Only c-bet when you have a reason. My motto for this style is "Good hand, good read, good board, or good fold." In other words, bet if you have something, your opponent folds a lot to c-bets, or the board is good for c-betting. If you have none of those, fold. Rely on good spots to profit.

Both of these styles are fine, and will make you money at NL5. At NL5 I personally have done both and come out ahead.
    • GraemeDR
      GraemeDR
      Bronze
      In my opinion that's a straightfow C-bet. Board has 2 diamonds and a king which a preflop raiser (you) could plausibly have hit, the other two cards are 3s which most likely your opponent hasn't hit. I'd bet half the pot to 3/4 the pot, unless he's hit his king he's likely to fold.
    • FarligeJohn
      FarligeJohn
      Bronze
      About the stealing of blinds:
      If you have the position (CO or BU) to steal, I don't think you should raise more than the 3x BB, because that is a signal of a steal. Maybe from 2.5-3.25x BB would be a good amount. And always vary the bet sizes to keep your opponent guessing. This raise signals that you want a caller, and that is terrifying to even the loose player. Hope this helps!

Victor Valentin