Rebuy/Addon - I'm confused

• xponentx
      xponentx
      Bronze
      Hey all, did a search on this but came up with nothing.

Can someone please explain to me what the difference is between a rebuy and an addon in tournaments?

I've never played this kind of MTT, mainly because i'm not sure how it works, i've seen $1 tournaments that allow 99 rebuys, does that mean that although it's a $1 tourney, you need to spend $100 all up to have a fighting chance?

And addons I really don't get, why are they not just rebuys?
  • 3 replies
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hello xponentx,

In rebuy tournaments - you can usually rebuy once you have less or equal to your starting stack. That means if the starting stack is 3000 chips - you can at any time you drop below this - rebuy for an additional 3000. The option to rebuy is usually available until the first break at which point the tournament turns into a freeze out (so no more rebuys)

During this break before the freezeout starts you usually have the option of an add-on. Here you can once again buy a pre-determined amount of chips - yet you can do this irrespective of how many chips you have. So even if you have a lot more than the starting stack - you could purchase an add-on.

I hope that is understandable :)

Best regards,
      SoyCD
    • xponentx
      xponentx
      Bronze
      Cool thanks SoyCD, that makes sense. Think multiple rebuys sound a bit stupid, but 1 would be handy.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xponentx
      Cool thanks SoyCD, that makes sense. Think multiple rebuys sound a bit stupid, but 1 would be handy.
      Well you can actually re-buy as often as you want. This usually leads to very loose play during the rebuy phase as some people will double rebuy (so for double starting stack) repeatedly in an attempt to get a big stack for the freeze-out phase.

The advantage of this is that rebuy tournaments can get quite large prize-pools compared to the original buy-in.

:)