Foulkezboyz

• foulkezboyz
      foulkezboyz
      Bronze
      Heya, I'm matt, and I've decided to take another run at poker.
      bout half a year ago i tried making a run in at MSS, but i didn't really enjoy the strategy, poker itself was fun and i enjoyed the game, but i eventually started playing games like league of legends.
      I've gamed pretty much my whole life and I'm always more inclined towards competitive games which is why poker has attracted me again.
      looking to climb out of micros this time and double my bankroll every 2 months for the next year.
  • 17 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck foulkezboyz,

Hopefully you will enjoy around here. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, we will be around for you. Meanwhile good luck on tables, we will be waiting for your homework.

You can now start with your 1st Lesson:
      Lesson #1

The whole course plan:
      Overview of Beginners Course

Best Regards.
    • foulkezboyz
      foulkezboyz
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? My motivation for playing poker is to continue to be successful at games I play, in life i try to view as many things as a game as i can, whether it be women, school or poker, i enjoy winning a challenging game. From the time i have been about 10 I have been playing games to win, i started with a commonly known card game as yugioh, i remember the first time i played at my local tournament and get beaten hard by every player there, i barely even knew the rules, i began to work my way up trading and collecting and practising every day with my brothers, eventually a year or so down the line, me and my brothers were the best players in our area and started competing in more tournaments, however i stopped playing yugioh around this time, i started playing online games such as wow, i went through a couple years of playing lol pretty continuously that ended up with me becoming a fairly successful raider in a top 100 guild, however the schedule ate my life up and I was no longer enjoying it enough, i then moved to the massive game by riot, league of legends. i had played league of legends for a small time in beta but came back to it about a year later, i started playing as my only game and I came to leading a team, however we were never particularly successful, my peak was within the top 1% of ranked players but to get anywhere in the game you need to be in the top 0.1% as that is when streaming your play to massive numbers starts to present a revenue opportunity.
      Now if you read all of that backstory, you can hopefully fully understand my motivation.
      I Recently finished my A levels at college and have a 3 month gap before university, this gives me adequate time to put alot of time and effort into a project, i was considering going hard into league of legends but i feel like it will never pay off, and i want to make a return from my vast efforts into improvement, i played poker year back but i decided to go with league of legends that time but now i want to make poker my sole game, and potentially to make some revenue while enjoying the process of learning. The motivation in simple to terms, is to make money while improving at a game and beating other players and mastering my attitude.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? My weakness's when i played a year ago were a tendency to move away from the rules i knew i needed to follow, and not so much full on retard tilt, but just casual moving away from good play and casually losing money, a lack of focus was my weakness.
      My other main problem was a lack of general focus and a general motivation, i tended to drift away from focusing on my goals, focusing on my learning.
      in the year since i last played i stopped gaming completely after i went through some depression and then after i got past that and conquered what was making me feel bad, i started playing league of legends again this time doing better than i had before, and i feel like the main solo ranking system in league of legends can be compared to cash games, as the things that can bring you down in poker can screw you over in solo ranked play. for example, Tilt can be a problem, because in solo ranked you play with 9 strangers, 4 on your team and 5 on the other, and there performance can have a great effect on whether you win or not and so whether or not your rating increases or decreases this can lead to extreme rage and poor play, whereas the best idea is to brush it off and play your best game all the time trying you hardest to help the bad players do well.
      in relation to poker this would be similar to getting a few bad beats in a row and just getting mad and giving up on playing seriously and trying to just luck your way to some cash, it isn't going to work in the long run. my other weakness was a lack of being able to session for long periods. i would often lose motivation after 2-3 games. i want to slowly improve my stamina in periods of high focus to atleast 4 hours of work with 3 or so breaks.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive? tight aggressive is not only a play style but also a mentality i guess, someone who is tight aggressive, is patient waiting for an opportunity but when that opportunity they take that opportunity and milk it for as much as it's worth. They are in control and not throwing round there money, they invest in good returns and good prospects.
      It is the best way to play because it has high returns and a lower variance then other styles such as loose aggressive, it is also a reasonably simple concept to grasp however it has an almost limitless skill cap, that allows you to outplay people very hard by using such a style.

these were my answers for homework 1, i know i talked way to much, especially about league of legends, but it really defined who i am as a gamer and it was almost my exclusive hobby so it felt needed to try to help you understand a little bit where I'm coming from.
    • foulkezboyz
      foulkezboyz
      Bronze
      played a total of 400 or so hands, haven't seen that much action but am slightly up, going to spend the next couple hours reading articles and maybe go back to the tables this evening, i posted my first hand evaluation don't know if its an obvious one but i feel like despite deviating i made OK play in the situation.

1st hand evaluation: AQs deviation from SHC.
    • foulkezboyz
      foulkezboyz
      Bronze
      heres a song to listen while you trudge through my overly long drivvle enjoy veris :D (or whoever reads it :D )

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why? (Are there any hands you would play differently? Do you have a problem or question about how a specific hand or hands should be played?)
      As spoken in the Crushing NL50 first article, there is 2 main ways to start changing your preflop play, and these would be isolation raises and increasing your blind stealing range, a couple of good example of where to use the first ones would be when holding hands you would normally call I.E. small pocket pairs, suited connectors when someone has limped into the hand, if you believe you can extract value and are versus a big stack, then by raising in these situations you can either a set up value for your flop or set your self up for a continuation bet on the flop that if the opposition fails to hit on the inevitable set they were mining then you will make profit, if the opposition bets back at you, it is very likely he has hit his set and it is a good idea to get out of the hand i'd imagine.
      another example of where i think you could isolation raise would be with the some of the higher end of offsuited face cards for example KJo+, because they have a good chance of hitting something strong on the flop and also in the same way, allow you to make a semi bluff conti bet on the flop even if you miss allowing you to take down pots versus players who are mining sets or looking to get draws with suited connecters, i'd imagine however post flop with these hands you will need to watch out if you suspect they have a draw as giving them pot odd's will effectively put you in losing situations, and you should think about this and size your raises accordingly.
      I wrote way to much here :f_p: so i will move on.
      Stealing ranges can also easily be changed up to including some of the low suited aces, here however it is best to have some stats on a player, as they will allow you to judge how he will respond, it will be best to look at his V$PIP, and his fold to steal ratio's, the lower the first one and the higher the second, the safer you are to make a steal and the wider range you can steal with, with some good amount of hands and evidence that a player is playing nitty and will fold to agression you could easily turn stealing with any two cards into a profitable situation.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      Don't have any hands that i have really got into a pickle with yet in preflop play however I'm sure they will come, will make sure to post em when I get stuck in situations preflop. Here is a hand i just posted in the evaluation forum though :D
      nl2 TT

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.
      You have an equity of 46.32%%, interestingly enough however when you make even a tiny shift in the opposing range to say the top 6% range then the coinflip that was slightly against you, turns into a situation in which you now have 51.21% equity, and if we change it to the top 10% we then have 57.07% equity.
      as far as i can see AKo is not the strongest hand preflop, and doesn't dominate much apart from other high suited connecters, however AKo is a very strong hand to hit TPTK on and gives you good opportunity's after the flop with which to make plays.
    • foulkezboyz
      foulkezboyz
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      CO:
      $2.00
      BU:
      $0.73
      SB:
      $2.90
      BB:
      $1.89
      MP2:
      $1.79
      MP3 (Hero):
      $1.94

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A, 7.
      CO posts deadblind, MP2 calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.08, CO calls $0.06, BU calls $0.08, 3 folds, 2 folds, MP2 folds.

Flop: ($0.29) A, 2, 3 (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.21, CO calls $0.21, BU folds.

Turn: ($0.71) 6 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.51, CO calls $0.51.

River: ($1.73) 8 (2 players)
      Hero raises to $1.14(All-In), CO calls $1.14.

Final Pot: $4.01.
      Results follow:

CO shows a pair of aces(9 A).
      Hero shows a pair of aces(A 7).

CO wins with a pair of aces(9 A).

after playing an hour of good poker winning pretty well, up 80% of a buy in in about 80 hands, i don't even know why i made this play, really pissed at myself. :( this hand is so disgusting on so many levels, i don't know why i raised on every single street, i don't know why i even raised preflop, this play was so minus ev it was horrible, ahhaha guess i will grind abit harder and not get the urge to be a donkey next time :D
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

I used to play games as well couple of years ago, although if I could choose between poker and gaming now I would definitely go for poker. At least you earn some income with it if you are good. With gaming you will just have fun which you can always do besides poker when having a break. :D

Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Another option against tilt is to set yourself shorter sessions which might avoid you from tilting. If you playing longer sessions then it's more likely that during that session you can get upset. So work on your game and try to find out what makes you tilt and try to fight against it.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

About your other part of the text I'd say it's you are taking it too seriously, of course it's really complicated and especially if you just started with poker you can't really ignore the beats. But you have to face them, cause they are always going to be. Bad beat in poker is as the same case as you would have maybe died in WoW or whatsoever, even though you had super-good armor, mob got lucky while we couldn't use our health potion. :D The same applies to poker, it's just part of the game and always will be, how you adjust to it is really for case. With time while you get more experienced you will get better in that anyways and even ignore it and wont get that easily tilty.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

You listening to the song when tilty? :f_biggrin:

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. Against specific opponents we adjust, either wider range or tighter range. Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise, for example 3xBB. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands. As for example stealing too many hands from SB and being out of position.

Isolating can be very profitable actually since people on lower stakes take the fast and easy line by just Fit/Folding too much. With that you will earn in long run a lot profit. Which means you can isolate with even wider range, sometimes even with the all range which you planned to limp.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.
    • foulkezboyz
      foulkezboyz
      Bronze
      Your comment about stealing too much from SB is very on point, i was using the leakfinder trial, and 2 of the 3 major leaks it told me i had were in my small blind with me playing too aggressive and too loose, and on the subject of music to help you not tilt, timetogetclassy.com nothing like abit of continuous soft jazz to keep you chilled.

homework 3 will be coming real soon :D
    • foulkezboyz
      foulkezboyz
      Bronze

another great song for you to enjoy while you read my answers :D
      QUESTION 1:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG+1  50.78%  50.40%   0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+2  49.22%  48.84%   0.38% { 3d3c }

Board: 5:diamond: J:spade: 3:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG+1  26.46%  26.46%   0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+2  73.54%  73.54%   0.00% { 3d3c }

Question 2:
      After using your well designed pot odds calculator, i would say this hand would be a call just about, you have marginal pot odds if we assume that we have 9 odds and it is likely he is holding a strong made hand for him to reraise on the turn, so there is a reasonable chance he pays us on the river if a spade drops, however there is also the chance in which he is holding another flush draw for either of the suits on the board but his play would of been very very aggressive if this was the case.
      i don't know if this answer is unspecific enough, just say if you feel i need more justification or if i'm just wrong and i will go put him on an exact range and do the equity calculation.

question 3.

i haven't played a session today and i have posted all of the hands i was lost on in the forum, however intend to grind a good loada hands tomorrow. so i will be posting lots in the forum

I will try to get get through lesson 4 tomorrow cos i won't be around for the weakend and i want to try to finish all 8 lessons by next sunday.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress, keep going! Great song by the way. :P
    • foulkezboyz
      foulkezboyz
      Bronze

mandatory entertainment for my boring homework, awesome song. :s_biggrin:
    • foulkezboyz
      foulkezboyz
      Bronze
      question 1: nl2 monster draw on the flop and turn

question 2
      my evaluation(you already looked at the hand veriz but i tried to look at different aspects of it, maybe go into a little more detail idk)

question 3.

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7d7h }

the hand is a a 60/40 split towards you're opponent, however if the gutshot hits the table, you probably get payed off in alot of situations. meh idk. theres my homework done, will try to get through the next lesson in the next couple of days, the indetail article on post flop play with initiative, was reallly realllllly help, best article i've read so far.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

Interesting music. :f_biggrin:

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

If you have interests you could try calculating the equity with a formula which you can use even on tables(either playing online or live poker):
      (Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity

About Question #3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you.
    • foulkezboyz
      foulkezboyz
      Bronze
      this homework is very very late, i have written like half of this homework 3 times now and i keep going and doing something for whatever reason, its really pissed me off, i also haven't been playing, i'm going to spend tomorrow in, i'm going to block facebook/twitter, and i'm literally going to try to get a good focus on my session, get a couple sessions and try to work through the articles and atleast 1 video.
      i think one reason for my slack and lack of performance has been that my girlfriend has been gone on vacation so i have been abit blue

i think this song is perfect to describe how stuff is going aha, enjoy it as much as i have been.

that said. i'm going to skip past questions 1 and 2 because i already posted a sessions worth of hands a couple days ago, and i have analysed a shitload of hands recently(only thing of worth i have done this past 4 days).

question 3, i have thought alot about this situation, and i think looking at the hand, i would bet the flop for a start, but in the situation given there is multiple plays that are viable, however in this situation i think we have to raise the pot, as we need to make seeing another card expensive for the other players, as there is a chance one of them is holding a flush draw, however if we were to get reraised back over the top of us, then we could probably assume we would be beaten, so i think raise/fold would be the appropriate play, it is also just as likely that we hold the strongest hand and would simply be raising for value.
      however the option is call, and see what occurs on the river, but really there are no cards which improve our hand on the turn, and calling gains us no information, it simply means we probably have to insta fold if we see another diamond.
      ughhhh i now realise this homework is about stats, so i guess you want me to adjust my play judging by their stats, i don't exactly know what to say about bb, he is a loose passive player.
      but i think i can make a much bigger read on the small blind, we see he is a reasonably standard tight agressive player, and judging by how i have been taught to play on the flop and turn i think the judgement we can make about his hand here is that he is betting with not only monsters but also medium made hands such as top pair, or overpairs, however i think overpairs are unlikely, as they just don't match up with his preflop play, i think we can stick with my play in this situation, and these stats if anything make our decision better. i could be wrong i am pretty tired but i feel like i'm onto a fairly sound decision making process.

question 4.
      fuck ahahhaha, i'm such a noob, i spent about 3 minutes thinking the third stat was 3bet range, looool, this is stupid, i thought this was a tougher spot than it is, i think it is safe to check/call this flop, he has a very high post flop aggression factor, and with the board we are presented with, we can be about 90% sure he will cbet no matter the cards he is holding.
      we can also give him a reasonably wide range, but ideally i would know his 3bet, and i could be reasonably sure with a sample as large as we have.
      but yes with the stats given, check/calling for value and pot control is our best option.
    • foulkezboyz
      foulkezboyz
      Bronze
      so glad to get that one finished, gonna work hard and strive to finish this course before i go on holiday, by the way veriz could you suggest me a book i can read while i am on my holiday, i'm gone for a week and don't want to be totally out of the game, suggest me a good micro cash game book if you have a favourite.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #5 Done!

Those things are facebook etc are very bad for poker, they don't let you concentrate and you will do too many automatic moves. Rather try to close them and learn to play without them. At first it might be difficult but with time you will get better. Especially if you start to understand more how important it is actually to pay attention on the table. Which also will help you to get bigger winrate. :)

About Task #3
      It's a very close decision: does protection or pot control weigh heavier here? Do you want to protect against hands like 3x or A:dx and K:dx? Or do you want to control the pot size and try to induce a bluff on the river in case there is no T, no J and no additional ?

Raise/fold is out of question - with the given pot size and the good made hand you have, it can't even be considered.

In case you decide to go broke, you can't really be blamed either. It's not a sign of weakness that the rather tight small blind decides to bet into two people here, though. I would say a call is to be slightly favored, while the many outs against you are annoying. The big blind who calls rather loosely speaks in favor of a raise/broke again. Both options are finally considered equal, which shows - all things considered - how close and full of variance these spots really are.

About Task #4
      You've called pre-flop and then hit a good board. You basically have two choices now: either you assume that your opponent will go broke loosely or puts you on a bluff often and you thus check/raise - or you play check/call in the spirit of way ahead / way behind. The problem with the latter is that there are a lot of cards you don't want to see in the later course of the hand. All in all, it depends on your balancing as both lines make sense under certain circumstances.

A check/fold would be really pointless, of course. It's hard to say whether you should donk-bet here; donk/fold can be discarded as that would turn your hand into a pure bluff and your opponent would interpret this as weakness and start raising you out of flops with hands like AK/AQ/air. So, if you want to donk-bet, it has to be a donk/3-bet.

Good luck on tables and with the Course.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by foulkezboyz
      so glad to get that one finished, gonna work hard and strive to finish this course before i go on holiday, by the way veriz could you suggest me a book i can read while i am on my holiday, i'm gone for a week and don't want to be totally out of the game, suggest me a good micro cash game book if you have a favourite.
      Have you read "Mental Game of Poker" or verneers bankroll building which is pretty good for beginners. :)