6 Max Cash Pre Flop Theory

• p0kr0k
      p0kr0k
      Basic
      Please give me advise regarding speculating in late position. I am relatively new to cash. What is a good way to go?

I know it depends on the player but for arguments sake can we say we don't know anything about him and he is opening often to a standard raise of 3BB.

Pre flop in the cut-off or on the button how would you play your low, middle and high pocket pairs? With high pairs would you look to take the pot down/ build the pot or flat call and play your opponent in position? Would you do the same with your middle and low pocket pairs?

Middle and low pocket pairs: is it positive to play the hand considering you only make a set 1 in 8 times and your opponent only hits 1 in 3 times. I assume I should be playing them, but coming in with a call or raise?

Also, in the same scenario what range of suited connectors would you advise me to play? With good suited connectors like AKs, AJs would you see a flop in position or raise it up. How about middle connectors such as J9s and low ones such as 54s. Is it better to see a flop, see if you hit and gain info on the flop and turn, or play aggressively pre flop and look to take it down with outs if he does call.

In short I'm not sure how I should be playing hands I like the look of when in position and facing a raise pre flop.
  • 5 replies
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hey there,

this is a wide topic and the basics of it are pretty thoroughly discussed in this article. Perhaps you can take advantage of our free poker money promotions or deposit bonuses and gain bronze status to be able to read the article? You can do that by simply playing some hands at any chosen poker room and collecting 1 strategy point.

-SF
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hello there p0kr0k,

What I can recommend is our NL Beginners Course, it sounds just what you need. It is totally free with no obligation so you can attend and leave as and when you wish...did I say totally free? Not quite true, we like you to participate by asking questions so you can learn from the very patient, very knowledgeable, professional coaches! :)

Click the link at the bottom of this post for details on how to attend, it's easy to do and you will certaily not regret it.

And thank you to Schnitzelfisch for popping in and helping out. :s_cool:

Very best regards,

Mal.
    • esuohdla
      esuohdla
      Bronze
      Originally posted by p0kr0k
      Pre flop in the cut-off or on the button how would you play your low, middle and high pocket pairs? With high pairs would you look to take the pot down/ build the pot or flat call and play your opponent in position? Would you do the same with your middle and low pocket pairs?

Middle and low pocket pairs: is it positive to play the hand considering you only make a set 1 in 8 times and your opponent only hits 1 in 3 times. I assume I should be playing them, but coming in with a call or raise?

Also, in the same scenario what range of suited connectors would you advise me to play? With good suited connectors like AKs, AJs would you see a flop in position or raise it up. How about middle connectors such as J9s and low ones such as 54s. Is it better to see a flop, see if you hit and gain info on the flop and turn, or play aggressively pre flop and look to take it down with outs if he does call.

In short I'm not sure how I should be playing hands I like the look of when in position and facing a raise pre flop.
      Set mine low/mid pps vs a full stack if hes opening 3x, maybe a lower stack if he is aggressive enough for you to stack him often. If your first in raise it up, sure you will only hit your set 1/8 times but very often a cbet when you dont hit is enough to take the pot down, and you will win a bigger pot when you do hit.

Vs a raise i fold most of those suited connectors you mention, 3bet/fold AK most of the time, some players I have reads on im happy to stack off with it pre. If theres a raise and a call before you, consider squeezing or calling behind with some of the more premium suited connectors (T9/98 types) but mostly its still a fold.

Not being sure is easy to fix, vs unknown players you shouldnt be flat calling much except to setmine, if you get reads that they are lose and could easily be dominated then i start calling with strong broadways and aces (AJ/KQ type hands)
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Going to move this to the No Limit section where it belongs and will get some answers from some of our No Limit guys.
    • DoigteurFou
      DoigteurFou
      Bronze
      In general, I flat 22-JJ against unknown. Something like 22-77 for setmining and 88-JJ to play my pair postflop. However if you're new to cash I would advise something like setmining most pairs you don't know how to play postflop against an early position' raise. As to the 3bet, just follow a chart at first, then learn how to adapt your ranges ;)