Having problems beating micro's

• jaeden23
      jaeden23
      Bronze
      I've tried both limit and no limit hold'em, I've followed the guides to the letter but I just keep losing money, when I have the best hand and bet my opponents are always hitting miracle cards on the river and playing trash pre-flop with 7,4o or something and still beating me when I have pocket aces or w/e.

I could be running bad but I've played poker on and off for a couple of years now and it's the same story, I struggle to break even so I don't think it's that.

The main reason seems to be every time my hands are beat I get stacked, and every time I hit a monster everyone folds and I earn nothing, and it's not like I go all-in with top pair, it usually takes dry boards and two pair at least, but I keep running into full houses and straights because everybody is playing stupid hands and getting lucky.

I understand over time they will lose money, so heads up I'd theoretically make money no matter what but when your sitting with 8 people who play like that it's hard to do anything at all because it's hard to avoid 8 people's suck-out's.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to deal with this problem who has felt like they have experienced this as well, I really want to play poker but it's not enjoyable at the minute because I feel like hours go to waste when I make some money and then run into one of these players and they take everything because I give their brain too much credit, it happens too much...
  • 9 replies
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi jaeden32,

There is so much I could write here but my suggestion is you attend the live coachings for the NL Beginners Course, where teh coaches will answer all your questions for free and get you back on the right track again.

I know you have been playing a while now, but look at it like this, it obviously isn't working 'your' way so what is there to lose?
      Also, I have played since 2008 and I attend because I'm having a horrid time and these sessions help to focus on the correct plays - and yes I play micro cash games.

The idea at the end I think is to take a positive approach and fix what's wrong. I used to think I had the 'right' to beat these guys because I was so clever I knew what I was doing, had read the articles and watched the vid and... and I had earned my stripes so to speak, but I was completely wrong.
      So I put my ego to one side and dropped right down to the beginning again..preflop, get it right...cbet or not, get it right...etc., etc.,

Also, use the hand evaluations forums as much as you posssibly can, spam them with any hand that made you go...hmmm, even if you won it you could maybe have won more, could have folded but got lucky, etc. etc. again :)

Enough spam from me, you get my point I hope? :)

Regards,

Mal.
    • jaeden23
      jaeden23
      Bronze
      I can relate to everything you have said actually, I was already trying to follow the guides so I'll keep sticking at that, I'm just scared or busting my bankroll atm, because I haven't unlocked the full $50 to 'play safely" yet. I definitely have that thought in the back of my mind when playing as I don't really have the cash to deposit any more atm.

Ego and lack of confidence at the same time may be the root of my problem thinking about it. I'll check the live coaching thing out, I didn't realise it was free so I didn't look into it.

Anyway, thanks :)
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Good stuff jaeden23,

Take it slow and it won't be long before you start to enjoy it more again.

Hve fun,

Mal.
    • C0WB0Y
      C0WB0Y
      Bronze
      jaeden i hope you are using an effective bankroll management plan which means you have to drop down in buy in levels etc and there are many articles on this site that will help you with this.

I started the year up over $300 and now have been on my worst run bad playing 9 man sng's!!!!!!! I am at +$10 now ytd

1500 games of run bad! Just fire up another and study hard.

Gidee Up!
      Cowboy
    • EquityMe
      EquityMe
      Bronze
      >So I put my ego to one side and dropped right down to the beginning again..preflop, get it >right...cbet or not, get it right...etc., etc.,

nh!

Pretty nice tip. Best you can do is paying attention to your own game, try to suck out every information you can from the videos, forums, livecoachings on here - and stay away from games you cant afford to lose.. get down in the limits if you dont feel comfortable playing.
      Maybe a learngroup where u can exchange questions would fit for you aswell..or ask someone if he could analyse a few handhistories for massive leaks and/or hints..

What kind of games are you playing? just 9 man sng? and what limit is it actually?
      greets
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      The most common problem is that beginning players have no idea of variance and what is a small sample size or big sample size. If one plays 1-2 tables every now and then, or sitngo every now and then, they might lose money for months due to bad luck.

PokerStrategy.com has articles, forums, videos and coachings. Everything you need to improve your game. Give yourself some time, and start working. :)
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Hey there jaeden23!

I see you're having a bit of trouble progressing on with Poker, this is something I DO NOT LIKE! :D

As you are a beginner I'd suggest you join our NL Beginners Course which has been designed for players just like yourself.
      The course will help you grasp the basics on Poker using the BSS(Big Stack Strategy) where you join the table with 100Big Blinds.
      You will start of by creating your own "Locker Room" thread where you introduce yourself to the School & Coach, this is also used to post your future homework tasks into, for marking.
      You can also use the Locker Room thread for any questions you wish to ask the schools Coach, such as:
      :diamond: 3 Players have limped/called, I have 6 :heart: 7 :heart: , what should I do and why?
      :diamond: How can I avoid Tilting so much?
      :diamond: How do you define a "Loose" Player
      Ask absolutely anything! There is no such thing as a stupid question :)

Once you have your Locker Room thread created, you can begin the learning! We have 8 Lessons for you to study, along with a Homework task with each. You will start out learning "An Introduction to Texas Holdem" & "Your Poker Mindset", you'll then move on to various subjects as you progress through the course such as "Postflop Play" and "Odds".
      There is no rush to complete each lesson, you can take as long as you wish, or even as fast as you like! :]

The course will point you in the right direction, aiming you towards the most appropriate Articles & Videos suitable for a Beginner, you'll also be able to attend our Live Coaching Sessions hosted by our School coach Veriz. In this you'll be able to watch the Coach Play Micro Limits in Real Time, see how he plays, ask him why he plays specific hands in different ways.

Another important way to make sure you're progressing with your Poker skills is to post hands in our Hand Evaluation Forum. Just because you won a hand, doesn't mean you played it correctly, you could have got lucky, or maybe you should have got more out of the villain? On the other side, just because you lost a hand, it doesn't mean you played bad or wrong, so get posting any hands that you have a slight worry about and our Professional Hand Judges will take care of you.

We also have numerous Videos and Articles to help you improve, don't just rush through them, take your time and let the information sink in, read it several times a week if need be, just do what it takes to get your head around it.
      We then have the Coaching section which is like everything put into one big pot, stirred up and served at the perfect temperature. The coach will explain a specific area of the game (Position for example) show you examples and also give you the chance to ask him questions before moving on, you'll also be able to watch them put their words into actions as some of the coaching will include live play for you to rail where he will continue to explain what and why he/she is doing.

As with anything, if you're unsure about anything, or would like to know anything else, don't be afraid to ask, we want you to sucked just as much as you do!
    • booomm
      booomm
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jaeden23
      I've tried both limit and no limit hold'em, I've followed the guides to the letter but I just keep losing money, when I have the best hand and bet my opponents are always hitting miracle cards on the river and playing trash pre-flop with 7,4o or something and still beating me when I have pocket aces or w/e.

I could be running bad but I've played poker on and off for a couple of years now and it's the same story, I struggle to break even so I don't think it's that.

The main reason seems to be every time my hands are beat I get stacked, and every time I hit a monster everyone folds and I earn nothing, and it's not like I go all-in with top pair, it usually takes dry boards and two pair at least, but I keep running into full houses and straights because everybody is playing stupid hands and getting lucky.

I understand over time they will lose money, so heads up I'd theoretically make money no matter what but when your sitting with 8 people who play like that it's hard to do anything at all because it's hard to avoid 8 people's suck-out's.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to deal with this problem who has felt like they have experienced this as well, I really want to play poker but it's not enjoyable at the minute because I feel like hours go to waste when I make some money and then run into one of these players and they take everything because I give their brain too much credit, it happens too much...
      hi jaeden23 :)
      I can see your problem, you just have the wrong mindset to play 'serious' poker and I know what that means, running bad makes you play bad, there are alot of situations where you just say "I don't believe he have it AGAIN" and you go ahead and make a bad call or bad bet/raise.
      I could make a very very long post about your case, since I can relate to what you are going through, but I'll just give you few advices that helped me alot breaking out of micros, hopefully it will help you..
      first do not tilt, looks like you don't like to lose, well nobody does like loosing, but you say that 'poker is not enjoyable' when you lose, that's a very bad thing, you just can't play right when you are bored or under stress. you'll see so many bad beats, coolers etc .. on the micros that you'll get used to it, it will become something normal after a while, let's say after 40k hands, if you still tilt everytime your AA gets cracked or vilain hits his one outer, then maybe poker is not something you should take seriously, I'm sorry but that's how it is!
      everyone has his own tilt-control methods, some people will stop playing after a huge suck out, others have a stop loss of X buyins or whatever.. It works for alot of people but no for me, when I get a big suck out or a cooler, I just keep playing, when I loose alot, I might change tables or switch to FR or whatever but I just keep playing until I build back my confidence, it works for me, maybe it won't work for you but you should try different methods to avoid tilting or loosing too much!
      last thing, no matter what stakes you play, just stick to full ring games, do not play SH, I don't know what network you play on, but from what I've seen SH micros tables are tough to handle, too much variance and SH is naturally more complex. and you will gain little or no experience for low stakes SH when you move up, so basically stick to FR until you beat NL10, and then move to SH if you feel confident.
      I hope my advices will work for you, I am no pro but I think I'm beating the micros at good rate, so maybe my advices will work for you!

good luck at the tables :)
    • 1chaz0
      1chaz0
      Bronze
      hi jaeden23
      your poker career has more or less followed the same path as mine , by playing on and off i found i could not concentrate enough and was impatient and could not lay down big hands, so i started afresh, got settled at one poker room , not played above my level , used table selection,started playing regularly, but most importantly started the beginners course , studied the articles but not to much at once and now i am more disciplined at the tables and not worrying about bad beats because they are happening less, enough from me and good luck.