strange but true

• Stevie8
      Stevie8
      Bronze
      I know this might sound extremely foolish, but I feel like on the long term I'm losing money in situations like 58% vs 42%. I lose almost every time it's a coinflip and that hurts me a lot especially because my bankroll is short. Where's the mistake I make ?
  • 6 replies
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      If you can only find spots where your avg 58% favorite than you suck at poker. 58% favorite minus rake = about break even player.

Work on your game. Study, watch videos, evaluate your hands and attend coachings.
    • Stevie8
      Stevie8
      Bronze
      I know that, but I'm gonna give you an example: I raise with JJ from early position. A tight and very aggresive player reraises me from middle position. his 3-bet is about 25 % of my stack and i put him on a hand like AK AQ. I decide to move all-in he calls and shows AK. Tell me where exactly did i make the wrong move. what could have i done to play this particulary hand better ?
    • Xeonz123
      Xeonz123
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Stevie8
      I know that, but I'm gonna give you an example: I raise with JJ from early position. A tight and very aggresive player reraises me from middle position. his 3-bet is about 25 % of my stack and i put him on a hand like AK AQ. I decide to move all-in he calls and shows AK. Tell me where exactly did i make the wrong move. what could have i done to play this particulary hand better ?
      I'm never all in with JJ only against very loose players, why? I'm assuming you play Micro stakes where the players rarely 3 bet worse that A-Q cause there always scared of the PP.
    • bogstratos
      bogstratos
      Bronze
      I'm never all in with JJ only against very loose players
      I guess you meant very tight players? :f_biggrin:

But that is true, you rarely see tight players AI preflop with worse than AK, QQ+ especially at NL2.

edit: Or i guess I read your sentence wrong, something doesn't make sense for me :f_frown: .
    • CHARMANDER06
      CHARMANDER06
      Bronze
      It gets better when you move up limits
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Since this is more-or-less a strategy discussion, I'll move it to the NL strategy forum, where it may attract more response.

My response is that your range, "i put him on a hand like AK AQ" seems a little narrow.

You would be facing QQ+ AQ+
      If you widen it to TT+ AJ+, you are exactly a coin-flip, and with rake now your are long-term behind.

Also, if you raise JJ from EP you raise 4bb
      3Bet is 12 bb
      If that is 25% of your stack, you are playing SSS.
      Even MSS says you should have 100 bb in your stack
      (If you DON'T have enough in your stack, your shove will have no fold equity.)

What does SSS/MSS say to do in this situation,?

Shove.

So you are doing the right thing.

It may seem like you "always" lose the flips -- and you may actually have lost a huge pile of them, but it does even out over time.

I suggest that you take the NL Beginner's course.
      It will take you step-by-step through what you need to know.

One other thing that you should definitely do:
      Pick a selection of these hands, and post them in the hand evaluation forum, and let the coaches explain your best options.