Software worth the $$?

• kukkakeppi
      kukkakeppi
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

I'm a SNG player who recently started playing again after having a break of almost 2 years. I used to play $5 SNGs (so I'm still a low stakes player) and am currently playing $3s and going up to $5-10 soon enough when I get a bit more comfortable with the game again. My bankroll is just short of $600.

Now I started considering whether or not I should be getting some of poker software to improve my game. I've been using the ICM trainer and I get it right pretty much always, and I use the calculator after SNGs to check if I made the correct decision at certain situations in the tournament which I wasn't sure about. However, I notice in the videos that a lot of the coaches use Hold'em manager for the stats, and the Sit and Go Wizard has got some good reviews for it as well. But they cost basically $150 in total if I'd want to buy both of them, provided that I buy the low stakes version of the HEM (it's up to $22 SNGs and MTTs, so I doubt I'd need the Pro version for such a long time, maybe ever).

But that $150 will be 25% of my current bankroll. Is it worth it to get them, does it really increase profitablility by that much to make it a good purchase? Or should I keep doing what I've been doing so far and forget about the software?

I actually found out you could get the software for free if you registered and deposited into a site with the holdem manager marketing code instead of pokerstrategy code, but then I'd miss out on all the pokerstrategy points which I need to get better articles and videos, so I'd really rather not do that... or do you guys think it'd be the best option for me?

Thanks a lot for your opinions!

kukkakeppi
  • 3 replies
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      Don't ever register on a site to get software for free, there is no long term gain with it and you only save like 75-100$. After you get the software for free it's like playing on a site were you registered without any codes so you constantly miss out on bonuses on some even rakeback.
      HEM has trial version and it looks like you haven't used it before, I can tell that poker tracking software is definitely a must if you gonna play some what serious. There is no question if you should get it, the question is which do you want Holdem manager or Poker tracker? Both have trial periods, they are basically the same type of software, but they differ visually and in a lot of small things so you might prefer one, but hate the other. Basically get either HM2 trial or Poker tracker 4 beta version (it's in beta so it is free to use right now, it's beta but works great). As for SNG Wizard I can't tell if it's worth the money, I don't play SNG's, it probably has a trial period as well, Poker tracker 4 has ICM Quiz and Calculator built in, but dunno how it stacks up against SNG Wizard as I haven't used either.
    • kukkakeppi
      kukkakeppi
      Bronze
      Thanks for the information regarding the Poker tracker 4, I'll definitely get it whlie it's still in beta! After its release I will probably have a pretty good idea whether or not I like it so I can make the decision to buy it then.

By the way, if I use the Poker tracker 4 beta until its release and then want to switch over to HEM2, is it possible to transfer all the data?

And yes Sit and Go Wizard also has a trial period apparently, guess I'll just get it and see how useful it feels like.
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kukkakeppi
      By the way, if I use the Poker tracker 4 beta until its release and then want to switch over to HEM2, is it possible to transfer all the data?
      Yes it is, you just export the hands and import them in the new software, or if the software allows it can take the hands straight from the other software database. The only problem you will have is custom built HUD's as I'm pretty sure you can't transfer those from HM to PT or the other way around.