Will this work?

• jaeden23
      jaeden23
      Bronze
      Hi, I've been playing NL and LH and I'm more interested in limit hold'em. I've been struggling to make money though.
      Currently I have $13.50 in my account, bankroll management says I need $12 to play safely at 0.02/0.04 so I shouldn't go broke in theory (even though I know I could because I can't move down a further limit), I've read the basic guides and it seems like you can play pretty robotic-ally and not have to make any decisions for yourself at all.

My question is can I really play exactly as the guides say and not have to make a single decision for myself and still grow my bankroll? I'm just scared to lose my bankroll so I want to make sure first.

Thanks.
  • 7 replies
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      hey jaeden how are you today?

Sorry for the late reply.

Im also gonna appologise because iv never played fixed limit so my advoce may be useless. :(

generally speaking as a beginner sticking to the charts is the best idea to start with at the lowest limits against the fish sticking to the charts will keep you out of tough spots and hopefully see you make money. As you start to learn more about the game, thats when you can start to move away from the charts, play more hands and get involved in making some tougher decisions based on what you know about the game and the player you are against.

hope this helps
      Carl
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      For $0.02/0.04 or $0.05/0.10 I don't know really. Probably the answer is "yes" here. I have played these limits bunch of times just to tilt away the last couple of dollars or cents in my account before I reload to aim for bigger losses :D . See it as a lottery where you have a slihgt edge by playing AA more often than K5.

It is a certain "yes" for $0.10/$0.20 and $0.25/$0.50 with the following qualification:

Starting hand charts are not enough. You need to play decent post-flop too. If you include the bronze articles and quizzes contents and employ that, then I think you would be fine. But, this is pretty far from playing like a simple robot. Also, if you are unlucky, then you will be up against others doing the same thing as you do and, perhaps worse, actual robots that make fewer mistakes than you.

The problem with micro limit play is that you can easily end up at a table where people play horribly and lose 100-200 BB just like that. To be honest, I don't think that there are any articles that describe how to proceed in a multiway pot with, say, one TAG, one Calling Station, two maniacs, and yourself. The advanced stuff usually deals with delicate HU situations where an EV of 0.02 BB or something like that is at stake against a rational opponent. In small stakes there will be many huge multiway pots where people are far from rational.

/Johan = :f_confused:
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      that's why you should switch to NLHE! :D

i played LHE in fulltilt as a beginner and following the charts was enough, yes.
    • jaeden23
      jaeden23
      Bronze
      Thanks guys, I'm fine thanks today Carl and any advice is welcome :)

@Johan, the starting charts for limit give you complete post flop, turn and river play as well as the pre-flop deciions which is great, which is why I switched to limit, mistakes are less costly also :)

@Tomaloc, I can't play the micro's NL atm because I seem to get stacked all the time. People play 6,4o like AK, I'll make a wrong read and suffer heavily for it. I tilt so easy when this happens as well. I feel like I outplay the people in the micro's post flop but I am not good at folding hands, like if I haven't had a hand all day and then hit a set, I'll make it too expensive for people to draw, but people don't fold and then suck out, but because so much money is in the pot already and I'm not getting hands i tilt before the hand is even over and go all-in even when its obvious I'm beat, and that's why I lose. At least with fixed limit you can minimize the damage so much more.
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      Starting hand charts give complete postflop play? Such a chart would be too large to store anyware - if it existed. I think that we have a communication problem here.

Many years ago it was possible to win at lowstakes just playing tightly (and being lucky). Those days are gone. Because, for example, the other players are following charts themselves. Or, they are somewhat skilled, playing in a style exploiting the chart players.

• jaeden23
      jaeden23
      Bronze
      Originally posted by YohanN7
      Starting hand charts give complete postflop play? Such a chart would be too large to store anyware - if it existed. I think that we have a communication problem here.

Many years ago it was possible to win at lowstakes just playing tightly (and being lucky). Those days are gone. Because, for example, the other players are following charts themselves. Or, they are somewhat skilled, playing in a style exploiting the chart players.

The limit one does, the NL limit one is only pre-flop. The limit one tells you how to play made hands and draws, like one the flop top pair should be bet or raised once then only called if raised by someone else, a monster draw should be raised as often as possible on the flop etc etc.
      I think the charts aren't supposed to be optimal at the basic level, but give decisions for every general situation to be played +EV.
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Bronze
      Ok, I see what you mean. There is a postflop strategy, but that strategy doesn't even mention starting hands. The starting hand chart just happens to reside in the same document.

I glanced through the document called "The complete Strategy". Lets not discuss the strategy here, but I'll repeat what I said before. Many years ago it was possible to win by just playing tightly. It doesn't work any more because people play better.