Hyper, hyper! (HUSNG)

• backstabber
      backstabber
      Basic
      HYPER, HYPER

by our German friend and techno guru Scooter!
      Just one of his many ingenious songs. Also it is my current frustration and goal, which i am going to blog about.

Introduction
      Hello everyone, I am a HUSNG regular at pokerstars at the 30$ and $60 turbo speeds. Last month i made it my goal to crush hypers and started at the exact same level as i play turbo speeds. Without much studying i expected to crush but needless to say I got crushed instead. Another thing that stood out last month was the amount of tilt and frustration that hypers got out of me, as every poker i experience tilt but this was hypertilt. Looking around me i am surprised how many things are still intact and not in pieces. This of course is not something to brag about and my friend ragney who has been member here suggested i should maybe write down my goals, frustrations and have a more structured approach to poker in general. Also he didn't need to ask everyday on whatsapp: 'so, how much did you lose?' X(

So this is going to be a very selfish blog, that's the goal of blogging right? I am all very new to this. I am a huge forum and blogging fish but hopefully this can be helpfull to me and i can become more helpfull to other members as well.

Goals
      I have different goals for this month.

:spade: 1
      First is that i need to make money first at my bread and butter the turbo HUSNG to tilt away at the hypers. My goal is to play at least 100 games every week for the remainder of July and obtain a 5% roi minimum. This isn't even a volume goal this should be standard.

:spade: 2
      So my second goal is my actual goal which is to study hypers. I plan to do at least one review after every session, if possible i'll do one an exchange per week. We are doing the majority of our games on the $15's and $30's and have a stop-loss for 15BI a day. Quitting is my largest enemy so my limit should be my stop-loss, which is an extemely important goal for me as i have never actually quit for the day. I should also limit myself to not play higher than the $30 as my mental state (and bankroll) cannot handle the hyper swings at limits higher than that.

:spade: 3
      My third goal of the month is to improve at MTT, i have been adding 180's $15 to my daily grinds and planning to add as much MTT as i can handle next to my grind, or actually my laptop can't handle more so i'm limited there. I will try to play more MTT in the weekend, especially on sundays. But i am new to MTT so my main focus should be just learning them.

:heart: 4
      I need a new computer so i need a good month and i can finally stop playing on my dual core, 1 gb RAM which freezes all tables even for something as little as a virusupdate. Or sometimes just randomly when the rematch button appears.

I wish everyone a great July. It is my favorite month of the year, hopefully it will stay that way!
  • 22 replies
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Welcome to our blogging section!

Yeah, sounds risky jumping in at the same level for hypers as you are a reg at for turbos, I would approach it with a more "Build from the bottom" mentality, but glad you spotted it as a mistake early on!

Any friend of ragney is a friend of ours, I suppose we should thank him for sending you our way, too.... But let's not tell him that we should!

Will be interesting to follow your blog, and I hope for regular updates!

Regards,
      Richard
    • bjela
      bjela
      Bronze
      Nice, another husng blog :f_thumbsup:

As fruktpuff said, you should really move down a limit or two when switching from turbos to hypers. If because of nothing else, then because of bigger brm requirements.

Anyway, good luck, will follow this :)
    • backstabber
      backstabber
      Basic
      Update:

Results Day 1
      Turbo
      24 games, 20,2% roi. I ran good. Aside from one guy who destroyed me three times on row with 4bet bluffing J7 (J high) on a dry Kxx flop and donkshoved J turn and binking two pairs on river vs my TPTK. I used to get monstertilted when stuff like this happened but i quit today so i was pretty happy with that and came back stronger.

MTT
      This didn't go well. I played 3 15$ 180 mans next to my daily grind heads up and i just lost my flips during halfway of those things which i needed to win to stay alive. I had a good day yesterday with a final table (8th) and a 16th spot in a span of 5 games so i got alittle overconfident. But variance should be huge so i need to 1. get better and 2. play lower. I also played some micro stakes turbo mtt and rebuys and i was just not feeling it. Ran cold when it started to matter, lost big pots with big hands and didn't grind enough small pots to stay alive.

HYPER
      Pretty much break even hyper day. Mostly 30's, was down 4BI at one point but ended up with a slight win 0.7% roi over 49 games. I did a review for a hyper buddy of mine, unfortunately not many interesting spots i could share.

I quit for today. I played 5.4 hours and booked a win overall of $96.95.

Conclusion:
      1. I should play lower stakes than i do now. I am a MTT fish and variance is huge. Despite my relative good day in HUSNG i only have a small win because all those micro/small stakes MTT cost me like half my winnings.

2. I should probably not play turbo and hypers on the same day. Except when action is really low on turbo i could mix in some. I noticed that after a good turbo start i started to tilt much faster when i dropped 4 BI at the hypers in like 10 minutes. Hypers are a different story and should be approached accordingly. And we all know that after a good session and bad session can be fatal to people who prone to tilt fast.
    • daun666
      daun666
      Bronze
      Id recommend to play 7s hypers at the beggining to get feel about them and also to get used to swings and then move up.

Also be prepared to dropping 20 and 30 buy ins in just couple hours and running under ev alot, hypers variance is sick.

GL ;)
    • backstabber
      backstabber
      Basic
      Thank you. I have played almost 3k hypers last month so have some experience with swings, i think i almost cried a few times ;( . But you are absolutely right i should move down, get better and move up slowly.
    • acceleration123
      acceleration123
      Gold
      Hey, wish u gl.

Is your SN on Stars Back_stab_X or smth like that ?
    • backstabber
      backstabber
      Basic
      Haha that would make some sense, i have seen him but it's not me.
    • acceleration123
      acceleration123
      Gold
      Originally posted by backstabber
      Haha that would make some sense, i have seen him but it's not me.
      Ah ok, would be weird anyway bc afaik the guy is hyperturbo reg :P
    • backstabber
      backstabber
      Basic
      TURBO
      Two extremely frustrating days. I ran 6BI under EV yesterday and today i started the same. But that is part of the game, the problem is how i deal with it and it's not good. I let it get to me and start to make -EV plays. Considering losing standard flips like TT vs AK as bad beats, and complaining to myself, it's really sad. I am in this bad mindset and all the frustration accumulates and i feel like i can explode anytime. I think the combination of me being sick all week and playing alot of poker is starting to affect me.

HYPERS
      I'm doing oke in hypers, up 10BI in two days. When it goes well in hypers it feels like you actually know what you are doing :)

Resultwise i can't complain. But i need a small break from my screen and clear my mind.
    • backstabber
      backstabber
      Basic
      I didn't grind much last week so i made yesterday my volume day. I had one of my worst days of the month, had a similar day at the start of the month. HEM1 has a current bug which doesn't pick up hands that go allin first hand which you lose. I had a few of those so the red line should be close to break even.

A few notes to make

1. Even though i didn't had my luckiest day i noticed my red line doesn't actually go up. It goes to break even. So my conclusion here is that i might have been unlucky but mostly at flips/cooler situations. And am not actually playing that good. Would be interesting for someone to comment on that.

2. I did break my own rules yesterday. I did play a few 60's and i went over my own limit of -15BI. I did quit at -15BI but then took a break, and felt like grinding some 15's next to the MTT i was playing and had a huge heater at the end.

The reason to write this blog is to reflect on my own situation. After starting this blog i came to a few conclusions.

1. (I love lists :) ) Grinding everything alltogether is suboptimal. So i have to make some decisions here. I will only play MTT during the evening hours and not grind regular stakes when i am playing one.

2. Turbo action is still there but it is getting slower and slower. So even though it is probably my strongest game i am playing it only for fun now and then. I will make hypers my main game.

3. I will need to make a serious effort to get better. I also need to determine if i am actually a winning player. So i need to restrict myself more to determine that. I will have to play an X number of games at a certain stakes which won't influence me at all, and move up when i win an X number of BI. Like it is supposed to work.

It took me 45 minutes to upload an image. Tried tinypic, imgur, imageshack. Resizing original size to small size and i still fail!! This is really tilting.

Oke just realised i can't because i am a noob member here.
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      Since he can't post pictures...

• bjela
      bjela
      Bronze
      Yeah, days like that really suck...

As for HEM, I've rolled back to the previous version (1.12.09) and re-imported the whole DB to fix that problem. I don't think I'll install any of the next versions that come up, they don't seam to care about HEM1 any more...

Oh, and I'll be following this :s_thumbsup:
    • backstabber
      backstabber
      Basic
      Didn't had alot of time to play since the last update. On friday i went for a concert in Amsterdam by a group called the Far East Movement. They had a hit last year "like a G6" that was also the only song i knew. But we made reservations for a large group and i thought it would be fun regardless. They tried to make a great show of it and i had a great time nonetheless. The crowd must have been one of the most mixed crowds i have ever seen. There were old people, teens and also a bunch of kids jumping in front of me and their parent behind them. Should have taken a picture of that it was a funny scene. After the concert we went to a popular bar there, had a few more drinks and then we decided to go clubbing. We ended the night in an underground club. I can't say i remember much anymore at that point, i only remember there was a very aggressive French guy jumping in front of me and giving me the double middle finger. He was removed shortly after because he was trying to pick a fight with everyone. Most people there were under the influence of something and enjoying themselves. So did we (i mean enjoying ourselves :P ) until it was light and we realised we still had a long way till home. Needless to say i had a huge hangover the next day. I didn't play i just lay there and could not sleep, which is probably one of the worst feelings ever.

So back to poker. Sunday i was fresh to grind again. Also there were the final micro millions MTT. I played the storm and some turbo rebuy. I didn't make it far. I also played 200 hypers. That went terrible, 18BI under EV and after 8 hours of play i realised i should quit. The day after i took a break, i played a few games, mostly turbo's and tried to not let the bad variance influence me. But today i went back to the grind and had almost a similar day as sunday. Another 17BI under EV and tilting at one point. I finished the day with a MTT. Ragney was also playing and sweating me, gave some good pointers and midway i had a healthy stack for a turbo. Unfortunately i went carddead the next 30 minutes and busted not long after. Still it was my best finish in a large field MTT since i started playing them, and i expect to play more in the evenings.

But the hypers are not good for me now. I grinded alot last month but i had no idea what was doing so obiously lost. I am improving this month still nowhere near where i want to be but variance is gruesome. And because of the short timespan it just gets to you. Like a boxer getting small hits left and right and when a good hit lands then he will fall over. That is happening to me now, i got too many hits the past few days and now with every bad beat i just get on a rampage tilt. I run bad obviously with -35BI under EV in the last 350 games. But i also play nowhere near my A-game.

Tommorow another break and let's hope we can have a fresh start soon with the green line going up.
    • backstabber
      backstabber
      Basic
      End of the month and let's see how i did after the beginning of this blog

Goals
      I have different goals for this month.

First is that i need to make money first at my bread and butter the turbo HUSNG to tilt away at the hypers. My goal is to play at least 100 games every week for the remainder of July and obtain a 5% roi minimum. This isn't even a volume goal this should be standard.

I failed this one because i played hypers mostly this month and made it my main game. I still grinded 221 turbo's for fun and made a 4.1% roi, and i plan to keep playing them to add some variation in daily grind. I have been playing these next to my MTT tables.

So my second goal is my actual goal which is to study hypers. I plan to do at least one review after every session, if possible i'll do one an exchange per week. We are doing the majority of our games on the $15's and $30's and have a stop-loss for 15BI a day. Quitting is my largest enemy so my limit should be my stop-loss, which is an extemely important goal for me as i have never actually quit for the day. I should also limit myself to not play higher than the $30 as my mental state (and bankroll) cannot handle the hyper swings at limits higher than that.

Uhm, i failed this one pretty hard. I did two reviews and (re)watched some vids, far too little. I have played 1822 hypers and 25% of those above the $30, another fail. I didn't quit @15BI, but went straight to the $200 hypers (lol).

So amazingly i have a positive month, i made 1% roi, adjusted this would be 1.8% roi. But i might as well be broke now so not really proud here

My third goal of the month is to improve at MTT, i have been adding 180's $15 to my daily grinds and planning to add as much MTT as i can handle next to my grind, or actually my laptop can't handle more so i'm limited there. I will try to play more MTT in the weekend, especially on sundays. But i am new to MTT so my main focus should be just learning them.

Thanks to ragney i did improve in these, still a fish but i picked up some things. I also quit the 180 mans and started to play the hot MTT's which suit me better in structure. I made it quite deep into some hot MTT but not near the FT which was a huge dissapointment, best finish was the goldstar freeroll where i finished 41 out of 5k which was my best MTT result.

So this month has been a fail overall. My 4th goal which was a nice PC will not happen this month at least. Still i am quite positive mostly because i learned alot about myself. I feel i have a better idea what my goals are so august i am sure will be better. This confidence comes mostly from this week where i played a structured MTT schedule and not spewing off money in MTT. Where i did play turbo but only after my daily grind for fun as i intended to from now on.

I will update the hypers and August goals later. I want to post my graph from this week later on first.
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
    • backstabber
      backstabber
      Basic
      After last week i tried another approach because i was so tilted after losing game after game to these players who had absolutely no idea what they were doing and limp calling J6o for 18bb and win. And i was blaming everything, and just being very frustrated in general for not being able to win in general. I have always been very result orientated, and weeks of bad results started to affect me way too much.

A skype hyper buddy of mine suggested i should not look at the results. Which sounded pretty simple, too simple really and i didn't think it would work because i probably still count it in my head. Another suggestion was not looking at the board when i go allin. This was a good one because it tilted me when i went AQ vs 33 and board comes AQT, turn X and river 3. Standard coinflip obviously but it felt like a huge bad beat. Which it is not!

So this week i added a third and sometimes 4th table that way i will have less time to watch results and started to grind and just put in volume and for me it really helps. I am still nowhere where i want to be because honestly i still played my A-game maybe for 20 games out of all these games. And i still felt tilt coming up way too many times. But i did quit a few times when i was 8BI down and most important i didn't go straight to high stake tables when i had a bad day. I think those last two things was where i'm most proud of.

August goals
      1. play 2k hypers @ 30's and achieve 3-4% roi. I do intend to take some stabs @ the 60's but only when i play good. I won't move up until i have pluged some leaks and have some coaching before.

2. Making a MTT final table. I will play most lower hots and if i am not losing too much i will play a higher buyin in the weekend. I came pretty close last month with some deep runs so if i can make a decent volume i feel i can make it.
    • Zhusy
      Zhusy
      Bronze
      offtopic.

Risk 1 BI for a 2/4Gb RAM slot? It's a 2mins job to upgrade.. :D
    • backstabber
      backstabber
      Basic
      haha yeah i will probably do that and put W7 on it should have much better performance and less frustration :)
    • backstabber
      backstabber
      Basic
      It is two week into august and i played alittle over 1k games. On pace with my monthly volume and goal.

I am satisfied with the first half of my graph. I think i was on top of my game and playing like i was supposed to, card distribution helped and even though i was under EV alot i was feeling good. After that i skipped a few days due to RL things and i started catching up volume by playing 3-4 tables. I pretty much broke even in EV the last 600 games and really not satisfied with my own game. I ran well in general, that helped. I try to improve my game the second half of August, go back to 2-3 tabling and shorten my sessions.

With MTT i spewed off a big stack a few times where i was halfway and chipleader. But pushing my luck to keep there and not even finishing ITM. I am down around $60, i made some small cashes but i am not having a good MTT month. They take up alot of time and i am either too tired or not motivated enough. Therefore spewing when i play them.