Multi tabling ??

• Stevie8
      Stevie8
      Bronze
      What is the actual strategy when playing 8+ tables for example ? Expert players who play even much more than that... Do they rely only on mathematical strategies ? Because keeping an eye on your opponents' play to try and understand their strategy is quite hard if not impossible.

I'm asking this because when I play poker I rely mostly on psychology and so far it went good for me, but I'm just wondering how my game will be affected by playing too much tables at a time.
  • 7 replies
    • booomm
      booomm
      Bronze
      you just get used to it, some players consider 8 tables boring and too slow, it depends on experience
    • C0WB0Y
      C0WB0Y
      Bronze
      Hey Stevie I play 8 tables currently and as many as 20 at a time and I use a tracking software PT3 in my case. Since I am playing so many tables I rely on the HUD but alot on stats as well. How many times is a guy opening to steal, how many times has he folded his blinds to a steal by me, how many times is he limping or raising and from what pos. I have all of this in a matter of a sec just by the way I configure my HUD.
      I have dropped to 8 tables as for me that is optimal for making decisions and seeing the data I need.
      I am always trying to observe the moves visually at every opportunity as well.

Cowboy
    • sugalde
      sugalde
      Bronze
      Hi Stevie,

Ill try my best to answer however I may not be 100% correct.

When playing MTT or SNG's volume is the most important thing if you're a winning player even if only 5% ROI Etc basically alot of these guys are using a method rake back pro idea being you play for a small win then your bonus comes from rake backs however most players are winning alot more than this.

The idea is to stack the tables, I stack between 20 and 30 atm, I was eight table tile a few months ago. The basic strategy is to play an extremely tight game pre-ante and then a very aggressive shoving game post ante. As people do not adjust to the bubble and ante's... 2 or 3 steals on the bubble make a small stack pretty much an avg stack with a few steals and usually you'll get lucky and stack someone calling you off light.

If I was a cash player trying to play small ball poker ie lots of bets post flop etc I wouldn't stack for the reasons you have mentioned. But this method is more based on long ball poker for the majority of the sng or mtt, however you need to know when to change gears and adjust your play depending on what stage of the MTT or SNG is at.

Hope that helps
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey Stevie8 hows it going, having a good weekend?

How many tables do you play at the minute? And what are you playing cash or Sit n Go?

I've played up to 24 tables myself, and whilst it was great for volume i never learnt anything or improved it was just kinda robotic and was only breaking even. Tables flashed up so quick so you could never make any notes on what was happening in game you just had to rely on any stats you had on your HUD or any notes you had made previously whilst reviewing sessions perhaps.

I now play between 2-4 tables (usually just 2) of PLO and its great not only am i learning, improving and winning more but im actually enjoying the game more too.

How many tables you play is completely up to you of course and is different for each individual, some players are comfortable and good solid winners at 16+ tables others like to stick to less. Just keep playing the same amount of tables you already play and when you start to find yourself getting bored or checking websites like facebook or youtube or whatever whilst you're playing, add another table to fill that time. Keep doing it until you find your limit.

Good luck
      Carl
    • cozacu
      cozacu
      Bronze
      Hi Stevie,

I never was a big multitabler, but i can share with you the advice that I got and my own view on the matter.

First of all the advice that i got: you should divide up your session in two parts, in the first part you will play the most number of tables that you`re feeling OK with and in the second part you`ll play a way lower number so you can focus to improve your game.

Now the nr of tables that you`re feeling OK with, depends just on you... but what i understand in feeling OK is that you`re constantly thinking about the hand that you`re playing and you`re constantly asking your self WHY?!(why am i calling,why do i raise here,why do i fold?)... i know that it can sound silly and it's very basic but it's super important... if you`re not doing this you`re not maximizing your win`rate... so no matter how many tables you`re playing make sure you are thinking about each hand individually,not going into robotic mode and you come up with a solid reasoning for each play.

I think that in the second part of your session you should not play more than 4-6 tables... but again depends on how quick you`re thinking if you`re rested when you play etc etc.
    • Stevie8
      Stevie8
      Bronze
      I play up to 4 tables cash game NL2 without using any HUD. I believe that playing a lot of tables using programs it's not poker anymore, but at the same time the hourly rate has to increase somehow
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      In my opinion, use a HUD. Or at least use some tracking software. You can run Holdem Manager/Poker Tracker without the HUD if you want and it will still track your hands for you to review afterwards. Then whilst you are playing any decision you find a little tough you can mark it so its easy to find in your database then post it on the hand evaluation forum...for evaluation :D . Our professional and volunteer hand judges can then start to tell you if you are making the best decisions in order to maximize the value from your hand.

Carl