This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] nl5, QQ, 3rd best hand

• SneakyhanD
      SneakyhanD
      Bronze
      Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.05(BB) Poker Stars
      SB ($3.30)
      BB ($7.44)
      UTG ($4.93)
      Hero ($5.30)
      UTG+2 ($2.52)
      MP1 ($1.92)
      MP2 ($2.53)
      CO ($5)
      BTN ($14.45)

Dealt to Hero Q:club: Q:spade:

fold, Hero raises to $0.17, fold, fold, fold, CO raises to $0.44, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls $0.27

FLOP ($0.95) J:spade: 7:diamond: 7:club:

Hero checks, CO bets $0.64, Hero calls $0.64

TURN ($2.23) J:spade: 7:diamond: 7:club: Q:heart:

Hero checks, CO bets $1.09, Hero calls $1.09

RIVER ($4.41) J:spade: 7:diamond: 7:club: Q:heart: A:spade:

Hero bets $3.13 (AI), CO calls $2.83 (AI)

Okay, so villain was about 3.8% 3bet over like 470hands.
      12/11 vpip/pfr.
      86 flop cb. 75 turn cb. wtsd; 28%, w$sd: 17%

* Preflop: I could 4bet go broke there, but I wanted to try this line although it fits better IP play.

* Flop: I don't want to scare him off as I'm confident he bets the turn often enough.

* Turn: It might be -EV as I check turn because he can just check behind and I lose value.

- His 1/2 bet doesn't seem as strong as his flop bet. I thought whether I raise and how much would I raise.
      If I shove I look very strong and he might fold as odds are not great.

( How about raising small ? )

I think calling here and shove river is best because then he has the odds to call even with worse hands ?

* River: not much to discuss.
  • 3 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Postflop, the hand is ok.

Preflop is a lot closer than you might imagine. There is a strong argument for folding QQ here.

Your opponent may have a 3.8% 3bet, but it is likely to be a lot lower than this CO vs UTG+1. If he has even the vaguest idea of position his range could easily look like KK+ AK especially given his stats 12/11.

As a result 4betting preflop would be a big mistake in the long run imo. You will often either be flipping or crushed.

If you do decide to call, I like your line. If you don't spike your queen the turn decision can be awkward because it's debatable whether he is firing 2 with AK. Raising at any point postflop would be bad - given his likely 3 betting range you essentially have a bluff catcher.

The hand is OK, but I get the impression preflop play is closer than you might realise - possibly a leak in the long run.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      seems fine. :f_biggrin:

mostly because his 3bet sizing is not that huge. but yeah unimproved i'll c/f all turns.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello SneakyhanD,

Could be possible to donk really small on the turn like 40-50% of the pot and then make it ready to ship the river. Cause if he doesn't have a hand he is not going to pay us anyways but meanwhile can take pot control there.

But at the same time I don't mind Checking cause you sometimes may even let AK or such type of hands hit the river and then can get their full stack.

Best Regards.