Help me build a Game Theory Optimal short stacking strategy

• elethorisRNMD
      elethorisRNMD
      Basic
      Hi there everyone! I was sitting at home, reading a book about game theory recently, as one does (not specifically geared towards poker, although it did have a chapter on it), and after the read I decided to follow in the footsteps of Ferguson et Al and try building my own game theory optimal strategy, in order to give my own game a more mathematical and less intuitive (because so far intuition has failed me).

For the past few weeks I've been playing a hit and run type shortstacking game, when I double up I leave, which has served me well (over a couple thousand hands I've netted 4.88 bb per 100)- so I've fallen in love with shortstacking, and although I know many poker players look down on it, I see it as a great risk/ return adjusted strategyand you no longer have to worry about reverse implied odds or even implied odds seeing as it's mostly a preflop game. But anyway, what I'm trying to do is to come up with an exploitative ''formula'' which would play on my opponents habits (IE VP PFR and AFQ), to play the ''ideal'' shortstacking strategy at a 6 man game. All this Assuming that the minimum buy in is 30 big blinds. I'll try to factor in average pot size as well.

So over the next two days I'll be working on building a model with the tools I have at my disposal- and I'll post the progress I'll be making here, along with any questions. But my question is, who wants to help! :) Are there any cardsharks out there willing to lend me a hand in this little project of mine? If so, please PM me or reply here so we can group up and plot together!
  • 5 replies
    • zobupasts
      zobupasts
      Bronze
      I have a suggestion for your strategy- buy in full stack and play poker. I hope that helps.
    • elethorisRNMD
      elethorisRNMD
      Basic
      So far shortstack has been very good for me- I really don't care if it's not ''true poker'' or whatnot. My goal is to make money. So yeah, shortstack does piss people off but whats wrong with being pretty much unexploitable/ shielding yourself from the pro's/ risking less?
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Silver
      I'll follow this thread for sure. You have obviously given this some thought, so that you are aware that GTO isn't that easy to compute with 30BB 6-handed. It becomes tricky already at some 12BB heads up. ByronJacobs has made three videos on it. See them when you get the chance (they require gold status).

/Johan = :f_confused:
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Silver
      Originally posted by elethorisRNMD
      So far shortstack has been very good for me- I really don't care if it's not ''true poker'' or whatnot. My goal is to make money. So yeah, shortstack does piss people off but whats wrong with being pretty much unexploitable/ shielding yourself from the pro's/ risking less?
      i play fully stacked but i share the above attitude. :f_biggrin:

anyway my first impression is that at 30bb this will be TOUGH. just don't think about opponent-specific adaptations at all for the while...
    • boges1
      boges1
      Bronze
      I thought it was impossible to play SS any more since the poker rooms increased the minimum buy-ins?

Someone told me that Optimal SS was *13 BB.

PokerStrategy used to teach that you should
      buy in with *20,
      top up when you get down to *15 and
      cash out when you get *25

or something like that....