HU SnG Mental Problem

• zilltine
      zilltine
      Bronze
      Hello Pokerstrategy,

Even though i didn`t post much i feel like i`m member of community. I were reading news, blogs, hand evaluations, etc. for few years :)

So, i have serious problem. I play Hu sng. Back to more serious playing after some time, doing well so far. I am happy about my play untill i sit someone decent. I don`t realize that when i play, but i can`t stand someone being better than i am. That makes me lose money, i keep rematching them untill they decline. I start trying to find their leaks, to exploit them so desperate that i don`t see myself tilting. Recently played good reg (at least for my limit he is good) which checked back KQ on K32r, i started ch/r every single dry flop. Good thing they do decline after 3-6 matches and i go, cool off, tell myself "stupid dumbfuck stop rematching regs, there is plenty of fish waiting for you". That never works.

Any ideas how i can beat my EGO? That might be consequence of low confidence as well. Anyone had/have similar problem?
  • 9 replies
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      There will be always someone better than you. Accept it. Your main targets are the fish not regs where you don't have an edge on. Whats the point of playing players better than you? Taking some flips where you're 40-45% favorite?

I play HU SNGs too, want to challenge me?
    • zilltine
      zilltine
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ragney
      There will be always someone better than you. Accept it. Your main targets are the fish not regs where you don't have an edge on. Whats the point of playing players better than you? Taking some flips where you're 40-45% favorite?

I play HU SNGs too, want to challenge me?
      Thanks, i realize that very clear. If only i were able to remember this 1 sec before clicking rematch :rolleyes:

Actually i do want to challenge you. But i will not!
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      I hope this helps you :)

I would not want to play vs people I am just slightly better where I'm avg ~55% favorite + I have to pay rake. Search something else!
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey,

Going to move this to Learning to Win

Thanks
      Patrick
    • HighRoller08
      HighRoller08
      Bronze
      Do you want to play against better players and lose/be break even or make money/win? If you feel that someone is better than you or can't exploit his/her mistakes, stop playing vs him/her..
    • Verre
      Verre
      Bronze
      On the flip side, if you want to be the best you have to learn to play the best.

Try this strategy as its what I use. If you play someone and you do not know of they have an edge on you or if you realize they do have an edge on you, the best thing to do is set a 2 bi limit. Your goal is to try and adjust to them and turn the advantage around. With enough practice your adapting abilities will outweigh thier strengths. This is the best way to learn IMO.

But remember you limit! 2 losses and your done! To start i would also implement a bad play resulting in a win as a "technical loss" as well. That way it forces you to actually be honest with yourself and judge your play at the end of every game.
    • ratje2000
      ratje2000
      Bronze
      Perhaps you might want to set a rule to yourself to never hit the rematch button before having thought about it for at least a few seconds? I mean, if you're clear on not wanting to play stronger players, and you just do so as a spontaneous move, I would really advice you to set a time limit to how fast you are allowing yourself to make 'spontaneous decisions'. ;)
    • shAdOwArt
      shAdOwArt
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Verre
      On the flip side, if you want to be the best you have to learn to play the best.
      I sort of disagree. While that might be true, playing poker is a pretty small part of learning how to play poker. Watching videos, posting hands, having discussions with people, reviewing by yourself and trying to teach others how to play will all improve your game much faster than actually playing poker.
    • DamoSk
      DamoSk
      Bronze
      Interesting self assessment. You appear to know you are doing 'wrong' (if thats what we can call it) yet go on and do it. Does that reflect your way of dealing with life? Or is it just your way of escaping reality and giving yourself a hard time, or seeking victory in online poker on a 1 to 1 basis. The other point is, are you playing to win or playing to try and get better (ata cost to yourself)? Maybe you need to reassess how you approach the whole thing and make a few ground rules for yourself.