fish

• terrygilham
      terrygilham
      Bronze
      ive been learning as much as i can in the last few days, been playing really good poker yet i still keep getting beat, complete idiots calling with bad cards that keep on beating me. how do i avoid it, i dont like playing no hands but it seems the only way i can win is by sitting out for half the tourney, which is no fun.
  • 11 replies
    • phpps
      phpps
      Bronze
      In order to find if you are making errors or to find out what are your strong points and weak points you are going to have to elaborate a little bit more.

Post some hands, make a video, post your stats, etc.
    • Pirate0810
      Pirate0810
      Bronze
      That is the problem when playing low buy-ins.
      People just don't care sometimes and push their luck.

Very annoying when you stick to the charts...
      People always say "thats poker" but poker to me is more then gambling.

If I want to gamble I play BlackJack..

Something that happend to me lately:

I had AA and I make a raise according to the charts..
      Someone raises me All-in and (ofcourse) I call.
      He showed 2 2

Flop: A 5 Q
      Turn: 2
      River 2

Going All-in with 2 2 ?!?!?
      According toi the charts, we avoid those calls or All-ins with 2 2
      Some lunatic who doesn't care or doesn't know does it anyway...
      Et Voila.. Out you go....

I know in the long term he will lose and I will win money.. But this is happening for the past 3 weeks now, and my bankroll is GOING DOWN.. MAYDAY.. MAYDAY

So I know what you mean, and I think playing higher buy-ins will solve this..
      But according to bankroll management I have to stick to $2 SNG and NL10 SSS.

Good luck.. hehehe :D
    • terrygilham
      terrygilham
      Bronze
      yeah, ive been on a down now for about 2 weeks, am getting fed up of fish, the more it happens the more likely i am to start playing like one of them. Just lost a hand on omaha horribly, runner runner to hit a flush, this seems to be happening more and more often as i play. makes me not want to play poker anymore!!!
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Pirate0810
      That is the problem when playing low buy-ins.
      People just don't care sometimes and push their luck.

Very annoying when you stick to the charts...
      People always say "thats poker" but poker to me is more then gambling.

If I want to gamble I play BlackJack..

Something that happend to me lately:

I had AA and I make a raise according to the charts..
      Someone raises me All-in and (ofcourse) I call.
      He showed 2 2

Flop: A 5 Q
      Turn: 2
      River 2

Going All-in with 2 2 ?!?!?
      According to the pre-flop odds you are 82% in favour
      PostFlop with A 5 Q you are 98% in favour
      Turncard gives a 2 , you are 97% in favour

Concluded: he hits his solely 2 outs meaning you got bad beated. There is nothing wrong with your game although your opponent is considered stupid. Your just unlucky but keep your motivation high! then you will get money back.
      I advise you to read some Psychological articles here. ;)
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by terrygilham
      yeah, ive been on a down now for about 2 weeks, am getting fed up of fish, the more it happens the more likely i am to start playing like one of them. Just lost a hand on omaha horribly, runner runner to hit a flush, this seems to be happening more and more often as i play. makes me not want to play poker anymore!!!
      Hi terrygilham

I really recommend to not play Omaha as a beginner. It's not the right game to start with. You need a lot experience to be successfull in Omaha. I really recommend to start with NL SSS or FL.

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar
    • terrygilham
      terrygilham
      Bronze
      i seem to have a knack for it, played 2 10 man tables and 2 6 man tables tonight with $1 buy-in, i won and came 2nd in the 6 man, and i won the 10 man once aswell. I seem to be able to read hands much more easily, plus i have no luck in my holdem at the moment, keep losing to runner runners, regularly. im up by about $5 for today so im happy on my omaha but thankyou for the advise.
    • tehChipDonk
      tehChipDonk
      Bronze
      you can't avoid idiots sucking you out, because that's the game. those idiots are trying their hardest to give you their money, of course, they are always lucky....
    • terrygilham
      terrygilham
      Bronze
      another suck out last night before bed, was playing $1 pl omaha 100 man tourney. hit the nuts straight on the flop, got a raiser all in, obviously called his raise, he had trip jacks, hit runner runner kings to hit a full house, such a lucky donk!! it was quite obvious that my straight was there, i cant wait to start hittin everything again, this losing streak is starting to get to me a bit. at least iv still got a bankroll!!
    • terrygilham
      terrygilham
      Bronze
      i have been reading a lot of the articles over the last few days and i think it has helped me improve my game a lot, i am already back up by almost $10 to $40 so my br is looking much healthier again.
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Hi again terrygilham

Nice to see you bankroll growing again. In order to furthermore improve your game I recommend our hand posting forums. If you are still playing Omaha it's this one: Omaha hand discussion

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar
    • RHart1985UKEngland
      RHart1985UKEngland
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TribunCaesar
      Originally posted by terrygilham
      Hi terrygilham

I really recommend to not play Omaha as a beginner. It's not the right game to start with. You need a lot experience to be successfull in Omaha. I really recommend to start with NL SSS or FL.

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar

I'll say thats good advice... sound.

A tip from me for newcomers in omaha is to consider playing about 25% lower stakes from what you normally play in NL HE. So if you are playing $1/2 cash games in hold em, i'd play .25/.50 cents omaha. You need experience. Its a really swingy game.