SSS table selection/multitabling

• burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hello,

I'm opening this thread because I think it should be useful for every new SSS player to rise his proficiency.

I've been playing SSS at FTP NL25 for few months now and I still didn't make any real profit and I think it's mostly because it's very hard to find an edge against tight players sitting at FTP's tables.

...there's no problem to make some money during the weekend evenings, but the problem rises during the week, when there's lack of bad players. It's very hard to find a good table, since the table's characteristics are more like this:
      - average pot: 12BBs (3$ at NL25)
      - flop seen: 19-25%
      ...meaning people beside you are playing tight like you and for the long run it mostly means being breakeven, but losing the rake.

There's also one thing that maybe should be mentioned, since at FTP FR tables are 9-seat and not 10-seat like at some other platform which makes you pay blinds a little more often in the long run.

So, honestly you can find few tables that are good also during the week, but I can only make 4-tabling since I have to constantly track the good tables(and there aren't many), because players also change very fast(when a better table comes up, strong players immediately "attack" it) and you sit down again with 8 tight players. And there are also some strong tight multitablers(BSS and SSS players) that you can find 2-3 at every table. ...and then I read about a little better players playing 12-18 tables and I ask myself how the hell do they do it. :rolleyes:

For now I decided to implement some steals into my play to try to make those tight tables at least breakeven or little profitable, I just hope it'll be enough. And the other thing is that I will try to adjust manual table selection by making lots of marks on players and this way finding the best tables possible like xylere suggested in his blog. I think those two things should work...

So, this is my plan on beating this limit and this tightness problem, but I would very much appreciate any advice from players who have some more experiences with this problem and have by any chance been successful beating it.
  • 7 replies
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Hey burek2000,

You don't necessarily need maniacs around, people will do ton of mistakes against a shortie) even if they are tight.
      my general recommendations:
      - use color coding/notes exporting
      - buddy list (mark all loose-agressive guys, they usually create a profitable dynamics, like multiway pots, etc)
      - table selection (if you use HUD)
      open all tables, wait 5 min for stats to appear and manually select the most profitable
      lobby statistics is simply too unreliable

But you are correct about multitabling. On NL 100+ you won't have much chance to select tables, since there are less available. So to improve your hourly rate, you will probably have to play on all of them)
      So here comes the main point about SSS - time selection) which is more important in the long run.
      According to my experience, 19:00 - 1:00 ET is the most profitable time to play on US websites, for the obvious reasons)
    • tehChipDonk
      tehChipDonk
      Bronze
      yea, what xylere said. but also, i think the sss is made for rakeback grinding (on lots of tables of course), since, it involves with not much thinking at all. if you want to see huge profit, bss is the best. as for the multi-tabling, all it takes is practice. when you are playing on lots of tables, you should be doing nothing else, absolutely nothing (no msn chat, no web surfing, etc.) besides clicking and moving your eyes around the tables
    • matkov
      matkov
      Bronze
      yep, we SSS players are big rake making machines :D
    • SunWukung
      SunWukung
      Bronze
      had this problem on NL10 @ FTP but since I moved up to NL25, it's fine. Not some huge profits but neither it is break even.
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Thank you all for your replies!

I agree about importance of time selection, but unfortunately because of my real life obligations the best time I can get is 17:00-20:00 ET.

I will use all the advice you gave me, but the most important thing you told me is that SSS is profitable also on tight tables because I started to doubt it when I was going constantly down in the last 10k hands that I played over last weeks. I mean, I know it works, but I wasn't sure if it has some limitations against too many tight players.

I also agree with tehChipDonk about concentrating on your play, I always focus on poker only when I play 6+ tables.

So, I will try to continue improving my SSS, but I also considered starting some BSS, because I also think that there's more money in it, I find myself in a situation where I could earn some, but simply with SSS I don't have the manoeuvering space and have to stick to the strategy.
    • Oly0909
      Oly0909
      Silver
      I've just started to use SSS strategy few days ago and I'm not so happy about it (won a few $, lost a few $, balance is stil $50). Can U tell me is it correct to play exactlly by the book or U in some rare cases do something different?
      I play on PartyPoker 5c/10c NL tables.
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      The most will you learn about specific situations if you check the SSS forum and also post some of your own hands. You probably should stick to basic strategy at the beginning but later on you can adapt your game a little... ...again, on forum you'll find different opinions and answers about the optimal play in specific situation. It was very useful to me.