cufc37

• cufc37
      cufc37
      Bronze
      Hi,
      I'm James, a 27 year old from England currently living in Berlin. Having played recreationally off and on up until a year or so ago, I decided to lob a few $ into my account and play. After it didn’t start too well, I decided that it was only worth playing if I tried to really improve and understand the game. In my thirst for poker knowledge I stumbled across PS and got my starting capital. Using this, alongside my small Stars roll, I set about the SNGs. Everything was going really well as I hit a major upswing cashing in SNG after SNG. Then it all came crashing downwards at the same rate.

Back around my starting balance and severely tilted, I had no more confidence in my game or the cards. I was told that I was getting myself into difficult situations, so decided to have a look at the BSS so as to improve my post flop skills. Having dedicated a few weeks to reading the articles and playing a few hands, I realised that I really enjoy playing cash games (especially zoom, I'm afraid to say) and so want to try to work my way up, maybe mixing in some SNGs on the way. But of course, first things first, I must get the NLHE graph going steadily in the right direction.

So here I am, hoping to get my game in order. To that end I’ll make a start by doing some homework…

PS Sorry if that’s a bit of an essay!
  • 10 replies
    • cufc37
      cufc37
      Bronze
      1) What is your motivation for playing poker?

Well, I really enjoy playing the game. I had fun playing recreationally, but I’m highly competitive. I love to be good at what I do, because I love to win. I would be lying if I said that being able to make at least some decent money out of the game wasn’t a factor, because it is a very big motivator. If I were to be able to make some extra cash or, even better, a living from doing something I really enjoy, I would consider myself very lucky.

Added to that, being able to say ‘I’m a (semi-)professional poker player’ would be pretty nifty. Seriously, though, it’s a major motivation to me that poker is a game where it’s genuinely possible to become at least a semi-pro with the right amount of hard work and commitment. As much as I wanted to become a professional footballer as I child, it was never going to happen (definitely because I was miles better than Messi and FIFA said I would have ruined every game by making it too one sided and 100% not because I was crap and lacked talent or anything). I always want to be the best that I am able to be at whatever I do and I hope that the best I can be at poker goes some way to fulfilling my goals (no football pun intended).

2) What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

I think one of my main weaknesses is that I lose confidence in my game too quickly. Not having played enough hands to be able to tell whether it’s a downswing or if I’m just crap means that during a losing session, at some point I will come to the conclusion that it’s definitely the latter. I think this tilts me into becoming too busy worrying about how I cocked up the last few hands and I become weak-tight trying to avoid making more losing plays.

Another weakness at the moment is in applying the theory to the table. Too often it’s immediately after the hand that I ask myself what I had beat to call villain’s turn raise or what worse was going to call my bet. I’ve limited myself to 2-4 tables (or 1 zoom), while I get confidence in my game, but I think I need to take one or two things at a time and gradually make them become habit in my thought processes.

Finally on this question, I’ll say that I don’t persevere enough. I’ve switched from SNGs to FR NLHE to 6-max and back to FR for reasons of either trying to break a losing period or because of lack of tables on my tracked account. I hope that by doing this course I will commit myself to playing only FR NLHE and making it work until at some point I am proficient enough to add other things.

3) What does it mean playing TAG?

For me, pre-flop it means having a strong starting hand range, played according to position at the table so as to be best able to exploit the weaker players’ often weaker range. It also means having a high raise/re-raise to limp/cold call ratio when entering a pot. Post-flop a TAG will often have initiative and will use that to take down pots that they wouldn’t have been able to otherwise. A TAG will play strong hands and strong draws aggressively and seek to extract maximum value.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck cufc37,

Great to have you in the cash game tables, hopefully you enjoy it. If you want to hear other member opinion about ZOOM and if it's good or not for you read this one: link.

Hopefully you will enjoy around here. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, we will be around for you. Meanwhile good luck on tables, we will be waiting for your homework.

You can start with your 1st Lesson:
      Lesson #1

The whole course plan:
      Overview of Beginners Course

Best Regards.
    • cufc37
      cufc37
      Bronze
      Homework #2 (Homework #1 is above)

1) What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

I think it’s certainly ok to loosen up a bit from the chart, especially if the table is a bit tighter than average, for example adding AQ and some mid PPS to EP open raising range and KQs/QJs to the MP range. As long as you don't fall in love with top pair then I think these hands can be played profitably.

I think it’s ok to add low to mid pocket pairs to the raising range from MP and take iniative into the post flop, meaning it’s often also possible to take the pot down with a c-bet rather than just relying on hitting a 2 outer. It also means that when we do hit a set, the pot is already a bit bigger.

With the use of stats it’s also possible to expand the range especially from late position depending on the players still to act. We might also consider flatting some more speculative hands IP vs loose passive players in particular. I would also add some broadways to an isolation raise range if the players to act are quite tight and a fishy player has limped.

2) Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

hand

Other than the hand, I can't think of any specific questions at the moment - at least none that don't have the answer 'it depends' :P . I'll post further hands in the forum as and when situations arise!

3) What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

http://www.pokerstrategy.com
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 46.32% 37.92% 8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1 53.68% 45.27% 8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

I think it’s certainly ok to loosen up a bit from the chart, especially if the table is a bit tighter than average, for example adding AQ and some mid PPS to EP open raising range and KQs/QJs to the MP range. As long as you don't fall in love with top pair then I think these hands can be played profitably.

Of course it's fine to loosen up, chart is just a guide how you could play. It helps you to understand preflop/postflop play. Whenever you feel being correct time to loosen up then do that, I am no longer following the chart for long time already. It was just a start-up help.

Playing PPs can be in long run be very profitable, we could even say that you earn the most money with them (except of course KK/AA strong hands :D ). You can always try out either you play them profitable or not by check the programs either you are doing great on early position with PPs or not and base according to that. Although the problem with playing them, especially from EP if you playing FR is the case that you wont always play them profitable and very low ones I would even advice to fold as 22-55 and raise it up like 66-77+.

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. Against specific opponents we adjust, either wider range or tighter range. Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise, for example 3xBB. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands. As for example stealing too many hands from SB and being out of position.

Isolating can be very profitable actually since people on lower stakes take the fast and easy line by just Fit/Folding too much. With that you will earn in long run a lot profit. Which means you can isolate with even wider range, sometimes even with the all range which you planned to limp.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.
    • cufc37
      cufc37
      Bronze
      Homework #3

1) You are holding K:spade: Q:spade: . What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 3:diamond: 3:club: ? How does the equity change on this flop: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade: ?

Preflop we would have 50.78% equity to villain's 49.22% with 0.38% chance of a split pot.

On the flop our equity is cut to just 26.46% giving villain 73.54%.

2) What would you do in the following hand?

Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24

Preflop: Hero is CO with A:club: J:club:

5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.25) 2:club: 6:diamond: 3:diamond: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($0.25) 5:club: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

With an unknown villain on this board, I think we have to assume that it's unlikely that he will be raising with anything other than a badly played flopped set, a turned set or, of course the most likely scenario, a straight. We will obviously have those beat if we can hit the flush and the villain's min raise is giving us 4.14:1 odds. The only caution here is if the villain does hold a set then 2 of our FD outs won't be good as they will give him a boat. Even if we were to give ourselves 1 discounted out to compensate this chance, leaving ourselves 8 outs, we would need 5:1. We should easily be able to make up the extra 19cents required on the river should we hit to make this a profitable call. Of course, the chances are that all 9 FD outs are good and so this is an easy call every day of the week.

3) Link to hand
    • cufc37
      cufc37
      Bronze
      One thing, Veriz. In the hand evaluations from Zoom that I posted you said to open to 4bb + 1 per limper. I've seen a couple of vids from Fallout86 where his standard is 3bb.

I know you're not a great fan of zoom, but I'd be very interested in your opinion. Do you think it's more profitable to stick with 4bb? When the player pool is tight and I'm not getting 3bet every time, I'm currently trying out some of the opening ranges suggested in Verneer's book which are a bit looser than the PS chart (i.e. UTG range includes KQo, QJs, TJs). Do you think that range is still strong enough to raise 4bb and would you consider having a smaller CO and BTN open to allow a very wide opening range? In your experience, not specifically zoom but generally, do you find a significant difference in fold equity from the steal positions between a 4 and a 3bb ATS (vs the average TAG for example)?

Oh and a big thanks for all the time you put into the coaching, hand evaluations and this locker room! I have no idea how you ever find time to play yourself!!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress, keep going!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      One thing, Veriz. In the hand evaluations from Zoom that I posted you said to open to 4bb + 1 per limper. I've seen a couple of vids from Fallout86 where his standard is 3bb.

Depends on the limits of course but as long you are playing low limits I'd advice to use 4bb cause we mainly raise for value.

I know you're not a great fan of zoom, but I'd be very interested in your opinion. Do you think it's more profitable to stick with 4bb?

Wouldn't say I am not a big fan, I still like it. It's definitely fun but we also must understand that even a fishy player will wait only for AA. :D And we raise mainly for value with our hands, so why wouldn't it be profitable if we stick to 4bb?

When the player pool is tight and I'm not getting 3bet every time, I'm currently trying out some of the opening ranges suggested in Verneer's book which are a bit looser than the PS chart (i.e. UTG range includes KQo, QJs, TJs). Do you think that range is still strong enough to raise 4bb and would you consider having a smaller CO and BTN open to allow a very wide opening range?

What hands to play from the UTG mainly depends on your postflop edge on the table and how good you know postflop game. I can't just say you that you are allowed to play cause it may be wrong. You may have huge leaks postflop and may start to overplay those hands. Bleed a lot money there, so rather take it step by step. :)

In your experience, not specifically zoom but generally, do you find a significant difference in fold equity from the steal positions between a 4 and a 3bb ATS (vs the average TAG for example)?

If you are stealing from the BTN or whatsoever even CO then don't do it 4bb, way too huge. You can easily do it 2-3bb dependent on the opponent and their stack.

Oh and a big thanks for all the time you put into the coaching, hand evaluations and this locker room! I have no idea how you ever find time to play yourself!!

You are welcome, I am glad that you enjoy them. :) Lets hope we boost up your skill level.
    • cufc37
      cufc37
      Bronze
      1) Link to hand

2) Link to hand

3) You are on the flop with K :spade: Q :diamond: . The board cards are J :spade: , 9 :club: , 8 :heart: , and your opponent holds 7 :club: 7 :heart: . What is your equity in this spot?

Board: 8hJs9c
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 41.41% 41.41% 0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1 58.59% 58.59% 0.00% { 7h7c }
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

If you have interests you could try calculating the equity with a formula which you can use even on tables(either playing online or live poker):
      (Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity

About Question #3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you.