Only a game? - 8 tables zoom, video inside

• tolari
      tolari
      Black
      Words of introduction.

Witam wszystkich! I'm a semi pro from Poland. You can actually call yourself semi pro when you start shooting nl50 here;)

I've always enjoyed writing, and I have my blog in Polish section. I've started it over a year ago now, had some breaks. But it's form leaves a lot to be desired and I have decided to start fresh.

I also want to cut myself from times when my play was unprofessional, times when bad beats, downswings and misplays have putted me in a land of pain and misery.

My main objective now is to excel in every possible way as a poker player.

I'll spare you my poker history, let's just say I am playing this amazing game for 2 years now. Before that I've played Magic the Gathering for over 10 years, with minor success. Poker was always around, we often used to play some drunk games after tournaments or at conventions - best time ever. Certainly poker was the most fun back then.

Now my game of choice are cash games. I played over a million hands now, first half on full ring - now short hand. I loved rush format on ftp which devoured 95% of my bankroll last year. I've went from 0 to nl25 twice.

I am playing 100 bi brm on zoom, with little less now I start to take shots at nl50, it's more of a self confidence thing than variance safe measure - I need to know that I am capable of crushing this limit to move to the next one.

Fuck. It's already getting longer than you probably will read.

to give you an idea what kind of player I am here are my last 150k hands from zoom nl25:

As you can see another break-even rake back grinder tilting ;) not longer.

Why do I write this?

:sMy main objective now is to excel in every possible way as a poker player.

:sI want to keep myself motivated to play on highest possible level and to constantly develop and learn the game.

:sTo sit to every session highly concentrated.

:sTo stop playing when things go to bad for me to maintain calm and play A game.

:sTo post hands and analyze sessions daily.

:sTo still love this game after every downswing.

:sTo talk about poker with people who play it as often as possible.

:sWords that are written become slightly more real, so I believe that all this stuff will pop up in my head when I start to tilt.

:sTo work on my writing style and English grammar;)

Thanks for reading, sorry for long post. Here is a potato:

• 30 replies
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      Looks like a good blog in the making! What do you define as "minor success" in M:TG? I used to play it too, nearly qualified for Aussie Nationals one year, and nearly made Top 8 in a PTQ, but then it got too expensive and I stopped.
    • tolari
      tolari
      Black
      Hi!:D thanks for kind words!

I qualified twice to Polish Nationals, played them both 6-6. Got my ass kicked on limited part;)

2x top8 on GPQ, 1x top 8 PTQ. Won some prereleases tournaments, some fnm's ;d I've been grinding on modo for some time but it wasn't the same.

I have also played in 2 GP, never got to day 2 though but I've made top8 in over 100 person side event in Legacy at one of those, in Hanover if I remember correctly.

I love the fact that so many outstanding magic players made the transition to poker!
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      Yeah, it's pretty cool. Admittedly, I'm not among that group :) I was never outstanding. Good, sure, but not outstanding. Limited was always my weakest area as well. I prefer it when I know my deck and the deck of the competition, and Limited was too expensive to practice habitually. I've always preferred to refine the same thing over and over again in every game I play. Both my greatest successes came when I'd been playing the same deck for over a year, and had way more experience playing my deck than almost every other player had playing theirs. (Jund, if you still played during the Alara/Zendikar season.)

Not just Magic, either: I've been playing the same styles in StarCraft II for months now, I've had the same opening in Chess for about eight years, and if I played any other competitive games I'm sure I'd be the same way there too.

Man, talking about Magic has me reminiscing now. I miss it, but it's just too expensive. I can play SC2 for free, Chess for free, and Poker actually makes me money. It's not worth it when I have other games that are just as good, but I've never spent as much time on a game as I had on Magic.
    • tolari
      tolari
      Black
      I don't consider myself to be one also!;) I was thinking about Julien Nuijten (god I remember when he won Worlds at such a young age, it was so inspiring), Gabriel Nassif and more. Góral and one other great Polish poker players also played mtg with great success.

I've played Jund also, but for like 3 months. Nice machine it was;) It was the last "pro" deck I've played.

My all time favorites are Affinity (I've played it for over 1,5 year, it was sooooo goood) and mono blue tron control in late Mirodin-Kamigawa T2. This deck was such a badass, huge card and mana advantage, with Sensei and Rewind, that was just so extremely overpowered, considering that Tooth and Nail - the best matchup for MUTC was making around 60% of metagame and you just couldn't loose against it.

I also preferred T2 rather than limited. But on modo I was playing mostly limited and sealed. If I have to choose, sealed format was my favorite, so much fun. Obv. it is expensive but if you run well you can get a momentum and start grinding.

I've always looked at it as going to a cinema or getting drunk - a service rather than +EV game.

More than the game I miss people and the rush one felt with every expansion. I was constantly checking new preview cards before the release. The whole concept of trading with people was also great. I think it gave me really solid background for poker.

I keep in touch with some people from old "crew", I know I can always drop by the local M:tG shop at FNM and that someone will be there to lend me a deck if I feel like playing.

And conventions, trips to GPs, to nationals. Man, these were such great experiences!

god, I've been playing cards almost my whole conscious life;)
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      "More than the game I miss people and the rush one felt with every expansion. I was constantly checking new preview cards before the release. The whole concept of trading with people was also great. I think it gave me really solid background for poker.

I keep in touch with some people from old "crew", I know I can always drop by the local M:tG shop at FNM and that someone will be there to lend me a deck if I feel like playing.

And conventions, trips to GPs, to nationals. Man, these were such great experiences!"

Pretty much exactly this. The only exception being that I moved away, so sadly I can't drop by my local shop any more :( But if I somehow could, I'm sure someone would lend me a deck, even though I haven't been there in ages.

Shooting the shit with my team was great too :) We were a bunch of guys from all over Australia, and we physically met up at Nationals. Was awesome. I still remember one of them telling a story about bringing a bottle of wine to a draft and being told he couldn't drink that there. So he left, came back with an empty bottle 45 minutes later, and 3-0'd the draft. One of the funniest things I ever heard.

I've never played Affinity/MBC, since I didn't really start playing until Lorwyn. Kithkin was my first real deck, and it's what got me to FNM-level. Crazy that decks used to make up 50%+ of the metagame: You just never see that any more. WotC's gotten better at balancing, imo. Even at it's peak, Jund was only at like, 40%.

I loved playing that deck, because everyone hated it, which stopped them from objectively looking at it and figuring out how to actually beat it. Like SSS in Poker: People would rather whine about it than develop a plan to counter it. The two most common things said to me about Jund were: "Why are you still playing that?" and "The mirror matchup is just luck."

To that, I responded with "It's your fault. If people stopped losing to it, I'd stop playing it." and "Yeah, okay." The Jund mirror was really favored for me, because of my experience with the deck, and I knew it wasn't a luck-fest. I won most of those mirrors over a long period of time.

Yeah, I never saw it as a +EV game, because at FNM, the prizes were always Magic product. Sadly, even as an entertainment value, it doesn't really compare to other things I can do these days, and I don't have much money to splash around.

So many lessons from Magic apply to life, but the biggest ones that apply to Poker have got to be tilt resistance and a tolerance for variance.

I should probably stop hijacking your blog, which is meant to be a Poker blog :)
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      will this be regularly updated with potato pics?

Originally posted by Salivanth
      I've had the same opening in Chess for about eight years
      london system? :f_confused:
      :D
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Wow, welcome to our blogging section!

Really nice opening post!

How much are you playing? What kind of monthly volume do you tend to get in?

You mentioned being semi-pro, what other side income do you have next to poker?

It's always inspiring to see people who've worked their way back up the hard way after FTP, which hit all of us pretty hard.

A good BRM is a BRM you feel confident and good about, so while 100BI might be too much "BRM nit" for some people, if it helps you play a stronger and more solid game, then of course that's the reason to do it. One shouldn't ever be too bothered by what other people think, right?

This blog seems like it could be super interesting, and you've already started making new friends with shared interests! I will be following it for sure, waiting for the next update already!

Regards,
      Richard
    • tolari
      tolari
      Black
      Originally posted by Salivanth
      So many lessons from Magic apply to life, but the biggest ones that apply to Poker have got to be tilt resistance and a tolerance for variance.

I should probably stop hijacking your blog, which is meant to be a Poker blog :)
      yeah I moved also, but currently I am at my home city so I have to drop by someday;)

about the tilt: I think I was tilting much less back than:D maybe because I didn't study the game as hard as poker so every good result felt great and when I lost most of the time it was because of mine mistakes. You could get mana screwed or flooded but your opponent also... well it leads to the point that in poker it works the same way, but didn't hear about someone getting cold decked for half a year at M:tG :D

there is enough place for poker don't worry!^^

Originally posted by Tomaloc
      will this be regularly updated with potato pics?

only after long posts and those that I am sorry for;)

Originally posted by fruktpuff
      Wow, welcome to our blogging section!

Really nice opening post!

How much are you playing? What kind of monthly volume do you tend to get in?

You mentioned being semi-pro, what other side income do you have next to poker?

It's always inspiring to see people who've worked their way back up the hard way after FTP, which hit all of us pretty hard.

A good BRM is a BRM you feel confident and good about, so while 100BI might be too much "BRM nit" for some people, if it helps you play a stronger and more solid game, then of course that's the reason to do it. One shouldn't ever be too bothered by what other people think, right?

This blog seems like it could be super interesting, and you've already started making new friends with shared interests! I will be following it for sure, waiting for the next update already!

Regards,
      Richard
      thanks!:)

I try to keep scheduled playing hours and volume but I still have a lot of stuff to do. I study Bachelor Studies in Finance in Wrocław so it has always kept me from grinding as much and as carefree as I want.

Ideally I would play 5-8k hands per day and 5-6 working days in a week, practically I am never doing less than 70k hands/month and rarely more than 150k hands.

But I also read, watch videos and from this month started to regularly post hands to evaluation, so I do poker oriented activities for more than 6 hours everyday, maybe more.

In June I've had a 2 week break after finals for partying and to see my family and I managed to start grinding around 20th and done around 70k hands in those 10 days.

About semi-pro, I am still a student and I would never go to work in Poland (wages for students are about 2,5$/h here) so I play and gather bankroll and withdraw some cash for travels or if I drink too much in a certain month;) also my parents are still paying mine flat and bills so as long as I study I've got this covered.

I will also do Erasmus in Spain from September so I will get some cash from univeristy.

about the brm, I know it is very nity but I do get swings for 10bi every 10k hands, (probably my mindset/playstyle fault) and I don't want to jump around limits so much.

I am making shots with little more than 70bi for nl50 now, will see how it goes;)
    • tolari
      tolari
      Black
      Wow sorry for such a long delay!

NL50 Zoom so far, so good.

Well I've listened to wise words and started taking shots. After first few K of hands it was kinda hard but now I am running super hot and it seems to be a softer limit than nl25.

I keep on posting hands for evaluation - in the past I have neglected this part of game study. It's been crucial for my game development. Also sleeping same amounts of time and eating "sort of" healthy and with limitation:D

I also have started to skype with some people and doing session reviews much often. I have to develope such habits for a longer run - it's doing miracles for my game and mental health;)

today is my day of from poker, I am only playing Main Event of micro milion series ( I qualified from a 360FPP satelite:D ) it's going quite well, I'll post screenshot if I manage to cash something nice.

nl50 so far:

similar heater happened to me on nl25 and then something in my game broke, maybe players started to develope counter strategies or maybe heater ended and I've started to tilt.

we will see, all I can do is to keep on the hard work and don't play when tired :)

gl at the tables!
    • tolari
      tolari
      Black
      aaaaaand busted out at 6213 th place;)
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      That's still ITM though, right? Think it was about 8.5k paid?

Good value per FPP, no doubt?

How much was it for?
    • tolari
      tolari
      Black
      yeah still ITM :) 52$, satelite for 360 fpp ;d
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      heyo :)

do you play SH or FR? have i seen you at the tables? :D
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      $0.144 per FPP is pretty damn nice value, I'd say!
    • tolari
      tolari
      Black
      @thazar
      Hi!
      SH, you might have seen;)

@fruktpuff
      wish I could trade all fpp at that rate ;d
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tolari
      @thazar
      Hi!
      SH, you might have seen;)
      you need to let me know your SN :D
    • flekozub
      flekozub
      Bronze
      Hey,

great progress!

I'm playing same zoom tables like you, if you are interested at discussing hands etc add me on skype
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by flekozub
      Hey,

great progress!

I'm playing same zoom tables like you, if you are interested at discussing hands etc add me on skype
      Hi flekozub

I have removed your skype from the post. first contact must be made through the community tools.
      (I have added you though :) )
    • tolari
      tolari
      Black
      Invited you both, I'll msg you later with skp and etc.:D Today I am not sure yet when I'll have time