quest to fix HM2

• w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Every time I start HM2 I get the message

"A software problem caused Hold'em Manager 2 to close unexpectedly. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you."

I have tried re-installing. I have tried updating. I have tried deleting a bunch of stuff from the HM2 folder. I have tried reinstalling posgresql. Same error message every time

This started happening a few weeks ago and I have been using HM1 ever since. Any suggestions?

All my HHs are backed up so - if I could just make my computer as if HEM2 was never on there, there is no reason why it wouldn't work. I'm guessing this would involve deleting certain registry files though which might be difficult.

I could reformat, and I'm 99% sure this would fix the problem - but there is no way I should have to do this just because HM2 is bugged.
  • 3 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Just had a look at the log file. For what it's worth, I think this is the problem

14:33:03.477 [Main:App.App_DispatcherUnhandledException] Exception: System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Configuration system failed to initialize ---> System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Root element is missing. (C:\Users\******\AppData\Local\Hold'em_Manager\HoldemManager.exe_Url_4bxlqzmrcrgqiswhmkulpmnh4jxcxcgx\2.0.0.6866\user.config) ---> System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing.

Needs a new root element whatever the hell one of those is. You think they sell them on ebay?
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Ok, so I've solved the problem. And by "solved" I mean I've deleted sufficient files for a fresh install to work.

I assumed I'd deleted everything but was evidently missing a couple of places. There is the place in appdata/roaming, but there is also some HEM2 files in Program Files (x86) folder. I also deleted all folders pertaining to postgresql for good measure after I uninstalled.

Also if you check the error logs you see the folder the error is referring to is actually in AppData/Local. I actually deleted this entire HM folder in this location as an afterthought before running the fresh install, but in reality this was probably what specifically solved the problem.

I doubt you actually need to uninstall/reinstall HM2 or postgresql for this to work. Btw I have no idea what appdata/local contains, I don't care either. If you want a decent fix to this problem, bug the HM2 staff. If you need a quick brute force method and your HH's are backed up, then uninstall everything and then delete a whole bunch of crap.
    • netsrak
      netsrak
      Gold
      the appdata\roaming folder contains the user settings and the database parent folder for HM2.
      So if you need to delete anything there you should probably start with renaming the file holdemmanager.config.
      If you delete or rename the whole folder you need to create a new database too.