[NL2-NL10] the call20 rule in a marginal situation

• foulkezboyz
      foulkezboyz
      Bronze
      Don't really need help on the line i took on this hand, i feel like it was just a standard set mining in which i miss and fold vs his agression, tell me if i'm wrong or something, however i just want to make sure i have understood the call20 rule correctly, when applying the call20 rule, do a take a total of his stack, and the amount he has already bet and finally the amount already in the pot, for example in this hand, 0.10+1.95+0.03, what do i do if there are other callers who don't meet the call20 rule, and what do i do if there are limpers before, how does this affect my play in this situation, i guess i'm just looking for abit more detail on how to apply the call20 rule in more marginal situations.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      MP1:
      $3.15
      MP2:
      $1.57
      MP3:
      $2.05
      CO (Hero):
      $3.77
      BU:
      $2.15
      SB:
      $2.12
      BB:
      $0.60
      UTG2:
      $0.50

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8, 8.
      2 folds, MP2 calls $0.02, MP3 raises to $0.10, Hero calls $0.10, 4 folds, 3 folds, 2 folds, MP2 folds.

Flop: ($0.25) 4, 7, A (2 players)
      MP3 bets $0.16, Hero folds, MP3 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.25.
  • 6 replies
    • FlashDavin
      FlashDavin
      Bronze
      I typically apply the call 20 rule when the total money I can win is 20 times greater than the investment required.

So if 2 callers are already in, and their stacks add to a total of $12, but I need to call 50c, I still make the call because I can potentially win $12 and am only calling $0.5 so the amount I can win is 24 times greater.

To be safe though, you can just make sure at least one opponent has 20X the stack behind their bet.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello foulkezboyz,

The easiest way is just to do according the rule, 20x his raise and that should be your and his stack. :)

Best Regards.
    • EinsteinFranck
      EinsteinFranck
      Bronze
      I used this post to pose a similar question.

Here is the situation
      All the players have around 100BB
      I have a medium pp. Let's say 77-TT.

Villain1 raises 4BB
      Hero calles 4BB
      Villain2 raises 12BB
      Villain1 calles 12BB
      Hero?

The pot is already 28 BB. I need to put 8 BB more. I don't have the odds for a call just based on the odds and I'm not sure to have the implied odds to be able to call.

I usually use a 'rule 10' on a 3bet pot with one call before me on this initial 3bet. I just assumed they have good hands that could more easily called a three of a kind. I didn't checked the math behind, it's just an intuitive rule of thumb. So in this situation, my opponents would need both 80 BB to allow me to call. It's the case so I'd tend to call this 3bet with as few as 77.

What do you think about this line?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by EinsteinFranck
      I used this post to pose a similar question.

Here is the situation
      All the players have around 100BB
      I have a medium pp. Let's say 77-TT.

Villain1 raises 4BB
      Hero calles 4BB
      Villain2 raises 12BB
      Villain1 calles 12BB
      Hero?

The pot is already 28 BB. I need to put 8 BB more. I don't have the odds for a call just based on the odds and I'm not sure to have the implied odds to be able to call.

I usually use a 'rule 10' on a 3bet pot with one call before me on this initial 3bet. I just assumed they have good hands that could more easily called a three of a kind. I didn't checked the math behind, it's just an intuitive rule of thumb. So in this situation, my opponents would need both 80 BB to allow me to call. It's the case so I'd tend to call this 3bet with as few as 77.

What do you think about this line?
      Call10 rule is wrong to use for 3bet pot. Where did you even take it from? Call15 is for 3bet pots and even that is kinda questionable and you must understand the opponent with what he could be 3betting.
    • EinsteinFranck
      EinsteinFranck
      Bronze
      What about using this call15 rule against the passive/very tight players?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by EinsteinFranck
      What about using this call15 rule against the passive/very tight players?
      As I said for 3bet pots we can use Call15 rule if we assume the 3bettor is also kinda tight.