gottcha

• 7 replies
    • gottcha
      gottcha
      Basic
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? My modivation is challenging myself to succeed. I'd be lying if I said money had nothing to do with it. I would like to be able to travel and afford things that poker could support. Right now I couldn't even buy a McDonalds meal with the swings I'm taking. But I always get back on the dam horse, I will get their, if its the last thing I do.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? Seems like everyone and their brother is bluffing me, even when I put them on a range I still call like an idiot. I probably fold the winners and call the losers. I tilt easy with bad beats, typing in the little chat box all the swear words I can think of. I even called myself a Fkn Douche - by mistake :)
      I'd like to get better at decisions when to give up on a hand or re-raise.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive? waiting for selective hands according to positioning and attacking the pot aggresivley
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Curious where do you come from? :) Most likely a country where the salaries are very low? :( Are you studying?

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Another option against tilt is to set yourself shorter sessions which might avoid you from tilting. If you playing longer sessions then it's more likely that during that session you can get upset. So work on your game and try to find out what makes you tilt and try to fight against it.

Don't try to drop down your motivation level by calling yourself some words or not believing in yourself. It's very important to believe in yourself and trust that you are able to do it. That's also what helps to go further in life. Believe in yourself, don't concentrate on the fails or whatever you have, if you don't fail then how else you going to learn?

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.
    • gottcha
      gottcha
      Basic
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?
      I would play Ace-High to Middle Kicker differently(AQ,AJ,AT) in middle position with 1 raise depending on the amount of the raise and the style of player making the raise. In the chart it indicated to fold but I feel that these cards are worth a call in that position. especially if the raiser opens allot of hands in that position.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? I will have questions, when I play again I will put my hands up for evaluation.

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% The equity of AK is: 46.32%
    • gottcha
      gottcha
      Basic
      Thanks for the reply, and so far I have learned quite a bit in the 2 lessons. a sht load to take in but I'm determined to beat this game. I'm 42 and have played poker for 3 losing years.
      I watch the sunday million and the warm up every week and think dam that would be nice to get a score like that. I even check the final tables rankings on those tournaments and sometimes cant believe how some of those players made it that far. some player had an average buy-in of 6 bucks and won his buy-in in a satalite and came in third for close to $50k.

I'm spending about 2-3 hours a night going over these lessons and then playing 1 or 2 SNG games of non turbo. I won 1 tonight thank god, it wasnt the little $9 score it was that I'm putting the first lesson into practice and being more aggressive in the various positions.

I maybe 42 but I'm going to learn this game, in my bucket list i want to play in the WSOP but I don't want to go their and give a donation and stroke it off the list, I want to go their with confidence and a plan.

Sure wish I started earlier but hockey was important at that time, still play and i am a good player, goalie to be exact, played some junior then gave it up for 15 years ( fkn stupid) then got back into it and did a walk on for a Senior A hockey club and made it first try. Today I play on a tournament team, playing around 11 tournaments a year, we won 10 out of 11 last year.

The reason I mention this is when I'm focused I can do anything. I'm not lacking self worth or confidence just tilting sometimes on the fact I cant beat this little game of poker, which is more complicated than I ever thought. So many decisions its fascinating that the fact is I can turn into a dam good poker player with your help of course.

I guess now you know what country I'm from EH! :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

I would play Ace-High to Middle Kicker differently(AQ,AJ,AT) in middle position with 1 raise depending on the amount of the raise and the style of player making the raise. In the chart it indicated to fold but I feel that these cards are worth a call in that position. especially if the raiser opens allot of hands in that position.

Those hands are definitely possible to play if you also know what you are doing. But try to play them rather not always for stacks, cause those hands can easily be overplayed with TP. So watch out.

I can just guess from the Hockey, Canada? :D But seems like you have very unordered game, you are switching from one to other and not really trying to learn one variant. Try to stick to one variant and try to learn it and then in the future mix it up.

MTTs are definitely fun but they have huge variance, some may win 10x more money in life time run with their luck, some may not win anything. For to get bigger sample we need to play more MTTs.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.
    • gottcha
      gottcha
      Basic
      Gotta hand it to you guys, you get my ID then turn me down with no explaination. Is this an ID theft ring?

anyway, how do I cope with not getting any playable hands, folding and more folding. Getting lots of crap while others are playing almost everyhand and hitting with garbage. I was folding for an hour and couldn't take it anymore. Players kept shoving on me.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by gottcha
      Gotta hand it to you guys, you get my ID then turn me down with no explaination. Is this an ID theft ring?

anyway, how do I cope with not getting any playable hands, folding and more folding. Getting lots of crap while others are playing almost everyhand and hitting with garbage. I was folding for an hour and couldn't take it anymore. Players kept shoving on me.
      Sorry to hear about the ID stuff. I can't really answer that cause I don't work as a support nor I don't know any of them. I can't help you either much, maybe try to send the question to the support. :(