Satelliting to tournament above own limit

• Wohmfg
      Wohmfg
      Silver
      I won a ticket to a $108 MTT. I normally wouldn't try and win tickets that are above my limit (normally play $2-$15), but I had some free money on a site (ongame) so I thought I'd take a shot. :f_cool:

I can buy into any $108 tournament on the network. So here are some of my thoughts on selecting the most EV (not that it will necessarily be +EV :f_biggrin: ) tournament:

I want to keep the variance low as I've only got one shot so I thought about buying into a deepstack tourney with few entrants rather than a turbo or a tourney with lots of players. But I rarely play deepstack and any edge the other players would have would be extrapolated by the larger stack size. So I thought I'd actually want to play in a tourney where my opponents' skill had less leverage, like a turbo tourney where I think my push/fold game is actually quite strong in comparison to my postflop play or deepstacked preflop play. Obviously rebuys are out of the question as I miss out on all rebuys and add-ons.

So I guess I should try and find a small field turbo tournament, as that will be the most EV I can hope for with the least variance?

Are there any tournament types at this limit that attract more fish or bad regulars? How good is the skill level at this limit? Will they just be running rings around me? :D I guess the weekends will attract the most casual players, if there are any at this limit.

So, any thoughts??
  • 3 replies
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      I don't play at ongame so I can't help you too much.

In general the tournaments with less players are shark-heavier. Casual players are more attracted by big fieldsizes with big price moneys. While the variance might be higher you should nevertheless think about playing a tournament with a bigger field size since your edge should be bigger.

At the same time I wouldn't suggest a turbo tournament since the variance is way higher then it is in tournaments with a standard structure. Furthermore mistakes have a bigger impact in the turbo's.

The skill level shouldn't be too good at ongame. Don't expect too many pro's^^

I hope someone will be able to give you further advice :)

Regards,
      Asaban
    • Wohmfg
      Wohmfg
      Silver
      Ah, big field size meaning more casual players makes a lot of sense!

Hypothetically, let's say I was given a ticket to a tournament and all the other players had an edge on me. Would it then be best to play a turbo tournament? Simply because the potential edge my opponents had would be reduced because preflop play is easier than postflop. Does that make sense?
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Yes - that makes a lot of sense!
      In Turbo-tournaments the edges are very small in general.

Regards,
      Asaban