This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] [SH] NL25 JJ deep vs flop raise

• duder1n0
      duder1n0
      Black
      $25.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players -

BB: $21.94
      Hero (UTG): $47.66
      MP: $34.41
      CO: $36.66
      BTN: $26.27
      SB: $24.75

Pre Flop: ($0.37) Hero is UTG with J :diamond: J :heart:
      Hero raises to $0.75, 1 fold, CO calls $0.75, 3 folds

Flop: ($1.87) 9 :heart: 4 :club: 7 :club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.25, CO raises to $3.25, Hero folds

CO

CO is a PS-member reg, I consider him one of the best players on the limit.
      What could be the options here vs his flop raise 150bb deep?

1.) 3bet/broke --> I would make him fold bluffs, weaker draws, but when all the money goes in I will be up against sets/combodraws. I tried to make some calculations, seems overall small -EV, plus huge variance.

2.) calling --> He will make my life very difficult out of position, valuebetting his strong hands, bluffing scarecards or valuebetting with draws which hit.

3.) folding --> seems weak, but safe option, definitely not burning money on later streets

What do you think?

(Is check/calling a possible option here, using potcontroll, and preventing him for (semi)bluffraising me out of the pot deepstack?)
  • 3 replies
    • Puscherbilbo
      Puscherbilbo
      Bronze
      We should like to know what is range is in that spot. Stats like "raise cbet" give a first indicator. You should filter out those hands and look at what he showed at SD and if he bet T+R and so on. It is much cheaper than calling him of.

You should try to answer yourself the following questions:

- How strong is my cbet-Range here and how strong is it perceived?
      - Whats the top of my range in this spot and am I making myself exploitable via fold?

If you cbet this board a lot then it may be more likely that he plays back at you lightly exactly bc you are in a tough spot. If you cf most hands like Ahigh here then not so much.

JJ can be folded w/o too much consideration here imho. We have all Sets+ and stronger Overpairs here. Esspecially if we cbet tight it is not necessary to broke JJ here. Calling and getting it in on a save T is not exactly nice since not too many "save Turns" around. Bluffcatching only makes sense if he can barrel of his draws/bluffs.
      Raising most lilely isolates you against very strong range. I would rather have AA/KK for this since they counterfeit some OC-outs of draws.

And yes against some bluffy guys cc-line seems nice esspecially if we c/f a lot too.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello pcfmcc02,

This is one of the best boards for a villain to raise and he is going to see so many folds here. But meanwhile for him it's also going to be easy, if we 3bet he just folds non-made hands. :) But if we Bet/Call we most likely giving him the opportunity to hit some draws and nor don't know where we stand.

Therefore in those Id' rather turn my hand into bluff-catcher and Check/Call vs his whole CO calling range which will contain a lot of PPs mainly. To avoid also the spot to Bet/Fold it, cause we can't really continue here, especially being deeper. Nor with calling nor doesn't make sense to 3bet/Fold.

Best Regards.
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      Who is the PS member? :)