BB: $21.94
      Hero (UTG): $47.66
      MP: $34.41
      CO: $36.66
      BTN: $26.27
      SB: $24.75

Pre Flop: ($0.37) Hero is UTG with J :diamond: J :heart:
      Hero raises to $0.75, 1 fold, CO calls $0.75, 3 folds

Flop: ($1.87) 9 :heart: 4 :club: 7 :club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.25, CO raises to $3.25, Hero folds

CO is a PS-member reg, I consider him one of the best players on the limit.
      What could be the options here vs his flop raise 150bb deep?

1.) 3bet/broke --> I would make him fold bluffs, weaker draws, but when all the money goes in I will be up against sets/combodraws. I tried to make some calculations, seems overall small -EV, plus huge variance.

2.) calling --> He will make my life very difficult out of position, valuebetting his strong hands, bluffing scarecards or valuebetting with draws which hit.

3.) folding --> seems weak, but safe option, definitely not burning money on later streets

What do you think?

(Is check/calling a possible option here, using potcontroll, and preventing him for (semi)bluffraising me out of the pot deepstack?)
  • 3 replies
    • Puscherbilbo
      We should like to know what is range is in that spot. Stats like "raise cbet" give a first indicator. You should filter out those hands and look at what he showed at SD and if he bet T+R and so on. It is much cheaper than calling him of.

You should try to answer yourself the following questions:

- How strong is my cbet-Range here and how strong is it perceived?
      - Whats the top of my range in this spot and am I making myself exploitable via fold?

If you cbet this board a lot then it may be more likely that he plays back at you lightly exactly bc you are in a tough spot. If you cf most hands like Ahigh here then not so much.

JJ can be folded w/o too much consideration here imho. We have all Sets+ and stronger Overpairs here. Esspecially if we cbet tight it is not necessary to broke JJ here. Calling and getting it in on a save T is not exactly nice since not too many "save Turns" around. Bluffcatching only makes sense if he can barrel of his draws/bluffs.
      Raising most lilely isolates you against very strong range. I would rather have AA/KK for this since they counterfeit some OC-outs of draws.

And yes against some bluffy guys cc-line seems nice esspecially if we c/f a lot too.
    • veriz
      Hello pcfmcc02,

This is one of the best boards for a villain to raise and he is going to see so many folds here. But meanwhile for him it's also going to be easy, if we 3bet he just folds non-made hands. :) But if we Bet/Call we most likely giving him the opportunity to hit some draws and nor don't know where we stand.

Therefore in those Id' rather turn my hand into bluff-catcher and Check/Call vs his whole CO calling range which will contain a lot of PPs mainly. To avoid also the spot to Bet/Fold it, cause we can't really continue here, especially being deeper. Nor with calling nor doesn't make sense to 3bet/Fold.

Best Regards.
    • Farmarchist
      Who is the PS member? :)