Playing AA preflop

• crayzrocker
      crayzrocker
      Bronze
      Hey there,

So according to what I've read online, one should never limp with AA preflop as it does nothing to reduce the number of players in the pot. However, what if you're small bling and get dealt AA, and everyone before you folds? Should you still raise, or consider calling?

Most the times I have raised 3BB and the big blind folded. What's the best play in this scenario?

Thanks.
  • 9 replies
    • FlashDavin
      FlashDavin
      Bronze
      I typically raise 3BB.

Do you really want to play in a 2BB pot with AA?

If he doesn't call 3BB then he probably doesn't have a hand he's gonna pay you off with anyways.
    • Mikus8
      Mikus8
      Bronze
      If you notice that player on the big blind can't stand limpers then you can limp to induce a shove, works against me every time
    • FlashDavin
      FlashDavin
      Bronze
      I didn't actually realize this was in SnGs. My response is for cash games.

Against a regular who I know will raise a limper around 100% of the time, limping AA isn't such a bad idea. Also, if you guys are around 12 BB and he may shove, it's also a good play!
    • krax0r
      krax0r
      Bronze
      My quite noobish approach is... if I see an agressive regular player sometimes I consider slowplaying. They usually overplay their positions (show more strength in later positions than what they actually have, try to steal too often, etc.) and after you call their bet preflop they will make a continuation bet for sure. Some will even try to force you out of the pot on the turn or river.

The bottomline is, you should have slowplay in your repertoire but try not to overuse it and vary your game.
    • Relative18
      Relative18
      Bronze
      Never play to fancy with AA preflop , you should allways raise 2.5-3BB in my opionion, for value of course.
      If you only call you might get in trouble and get another 3 or 4 callers and then your AA are preety weak.
    • wiarygodny
      wiarygodny
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Mikus8
      If you notice that player on the big blind can't stand limpers then you can limp to induce a shove, works against me every time
      +1 :D
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      If the table's been loose (a lot of players seeing a flop in a raised pot), I would limp with aces UTG and 3-bet the raiser usually 3.5x because of how loose the table has been, to force a lot of limpers out and for value.

In your case, you got AA in the SB. A standard 2.5x - 3x raise and continuation bet on the flop for value is the play I would go for. If the player folds preflop, then at least you won the blinds and didn't get stacked by the BB with a random hand like 7-10o right?

MB
    • IhasLuck
      IhasLuck
      Bronze
      only do fancy moves if you can balance it. You'll be transparent if you complete or limp in utg with AA only. I personally raise it always, it works nice also if you steal a lot.
    • PokerPPP
      PokerPPP
      Bronze
      3bb r or ALL IN if micro stakes = gg