Is this strategy unrealistic

• Wrknprogress
      Wrknprogress
      Basic
      I'm a current player on Bovado. I sat back and watched the stakes of $3-6 thru $10-20 in FLH and noticed that the players are ultra aggressive when playing & will call down with little 2 nothing a high percentage of the time. So I wanted 2 see if there was any possible hand reading involved r trying 2 place people on hand ranges. Are were they just playing their hand & the money that some had behind them. so I invested $100 dollars & begin playing $3-6 then moved to $4-8 all the way 2 $10-20 Within 4 days I turned my 100 into 2000. My question is would this be incorrect 2 continue doing since I'm not buying in for the maximum. The players seem 2 call me down with 2nd & 3rd pair since I'm so short stacked. If my cards are not favorable I could lose my $100 & have 2 rebuy. Should that even be a worry? My test was favorable but I feel as though it may not always be the case. Please provide some insight.
  • 9 replies
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      I don't understand what your strategy is, apart from gambling.
    • hooley01
      hooley01
      Bronze
      are you basically playing MSS?

whats your brm?
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Originally posted by hooley01
      are you basically playing MSS?

whats your brm?
      FLHE with 16bb...
    • DailyDollarPro
      DailyDollarPro
      Silver
      With FLHE it doesn't really matter how many chips you buy in for, so stack size is more or less irrelevant.

Sounds to me like you just went on a big heater and got some good cards. If you keep playing higher and higher stakes eventually you will hit a downswing and be forced to move down stakes or go bust. The shorter your BRM (Total number of big bets you are willing to risk), the more wild your swings are going to be and the higher your chances are of going bust.

Your heater might continue, and lets say you run your roll up to $1,000,000. Now you start buying into 25K/50K games (20BB) it wont take much of a downturn to lose it all.
    • Wrknprogress
      Wrknprogress
      Basic
      I apologize 4 not including my strategy was to await quality hands upfront like AA-JJ including AK suited & not suited, AQ suited n middle open with sum of the broadway hands & middle pairs, in late piston open it up a bit more & so on. Trying 2 max my winnings when I flopped strong hands, etc.
    • Wrknprogress
      Wrknprogress
      Basic
      I began with only 900 in my bankroll
    • FaTDoGBG
      FaTDoGBG
      Bronze
      Isn't this the idea of Poker in general and the main idea of short stack strategy :P
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, Wrknprogress
      Since this is essentially a Fixed Limit strategy Q, I've moved it to a forum where it will get the attention it deserves.

Good Luck!
      --VS
    • Grinsemann1
      Grinsemann1
      Silver
      Often players with small stacks just want to get rid of their last money and cap things like 9 high no draw. So you are right about being called down lighter.
      Not going broke with 16BB brm was just really really lucky. 2000$ swings in 4 days is not thaaat special but trust me even with 100BB brm (u said u got 2000 and play 10 20) thgeres a high chance you are gonna go broke. I have had 1500$ in 4 days upswing on 2 4! You WAY overestimate the influence u got on the swings. In the low amount of hands u played ANYTHING can happen.
      Really ANYTHING. Ive played 3000 hands with 12 BB/100 winrate at 2 4 and the opposite also happened. And "trying to max my winnings when i flopped strong hands" is totally standard lol. But ur right people call down lighter when you are very shortstacked.