$1.46
      UTG1:
      $4.04
      UTG2:
      $4.29
      MP1:
      $3.56

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7, Q.
      7 folds, SB raises to $0.08, Hero calls $0.04.

Not a strong hand but for the minimum raise I thought I should defend my blind, having position afterwards. I didn't have much info on my opponent other than that I saw him playing at several other tables at the same time and seemed to be winning on most of them. He was aggressive especially from late position but not a maniac or something. My impression of him was that he was a good player over all.

Flop: ($0.16) Q, 4, 6 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.12, Hero calls $0.12.

Well, since I played the hand and hit top pair I think I should call at least the c-bet.

Turn: ($0.4) 4 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.28, Hero calls $0.28.

I was hoping for a sign of weakness here but he bet the turn strong too. After some thought I decided to call even though I believed he had a Queen with possibly a stronger kicker than mine. Now I was hoping for a heart at the river so that I could represent a flush and perhaps force him to throw a stronger Queen.

River: ($0.96) T (2 players)
      SB bets $0.69, Hero folds, SB gets uncalled bet back.

The heart came but he kept betting strong. My thoughts were that either he was semi-bluffing all along or that he had a full house or more. I decided I was totally out-played here and folded my hand.

Final Pot: $0.96.

Well, the obvious question is should I have called till the end or should I have folded earlier, even pre-flop? In case of a pre-flop fold didn't I have the odds to call a minimum raise against most of my opponents hands?
      Thanks.
  • 3 replies
    • JohnDoe1313
      JohnDoe1313
      Diamond
      Hi,

in basic MSS one shouldn't coldcall preflop. Our stack doesn't offer us much option post flop.
      So unless you have a straight forward plan what to do postflop, like "SB cbets 90% and then second barrells turn in 25% - I'm going to float him on flop, bet turn if he checks and I'll fold if he bets again", don't call preflop. You see you have defended $0.04 but ended up losing much more.

If I wanted to defend, I would bluff raise preflop. You block QQ, AQ and it's suited if he decides to call, so you have some potential postflop. Considering him being loose in late position (good players are), then his openraising range could be very wide, maybe any 2 against you in case he uses HUD and you play standartly tight as MSS player.
    • Phoenix2104
      Phoenix2104
      Bronze
      Thanks for the reply.
      The plan was to take advantage of being in position post-flop and attack any sign of weakness that he would show. The problem is he didn't show any. Yet I had top pair with a weak kicker but the question is how much credit should I give him when he was betting?
      In Party Poker even at NL4 people are attacking the blinds more than 90% of the hands. If I was to wait for a strong hand to defend then I should give up virtually every blind I had. I decided to call because I saw his small raise as a sign of weakness, with the plan stated above, and figuring that being the min raise it gave me the odds to call. Perhaps re-raising would have been better but I wasn't ready to go that far (at least yet :D ).
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hello Phoenix,

If I would be playing this hand, I would 3bet it. If you are attending one of my MSS coachings on Sunday 19:00 CET, you can see that playing this hand actively instead of calling/folding is way better in some cases.

As played I would not call the River as it is evidently clear your kicker plays a big role in this hand namely that your hand is too weak. He might have bluffed you on the Turn as a semibluff or bluffed you entirely and that's the downside of playing this passively or as people call it ''To be in position''

Best regards,
      Gerv