[NL2-NL10] NL5 6-max OESD gets re-raised on turn.

• Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      Poker Stars $5.00 No Limit Hold'em - 4 players - View hand 1828546
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BTN: $2.00
      Hero (SB): $5.00
      BB: $5.55 (11/6/0 over 19 hands.)
      CO: $6.93

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero is SB with K :club: 7 :diamond:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.15, BB calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.30) 9 :diamond: 3 :spade: 8 :club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.19, BB calls $0.19

Turn: ($0.68) T :heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.43, BB raises to $1.27, Hero calls $0.84.

So, here's my own analysis.

Preflop, I'm betting super-wide here, since he's a nit. I can bet ATC here and be profitable until Villain adjusts.

Flop: Standard c-bet. Nothing to see here.

Turn: Here's where things get interesting. I double barrel, as I've picked up an OESD, and get re-raised. Now, obviously I can't call for pot odds here, but I do have implied odds. When creating a range here, I concluded that the only thing villain is likely to have here is a set. He'd fold 2-pairs like T9, 98 etc. preflop, and 3-bet JJ+ preflop. If he had top pair (AT/KT, I don't see him calling with QT/JT) he would be very unlikely to re-raise the turn. The fact that he's re-raised the turn indicates he's prepared to go broke with his hand. Thus, I only need to call $0.84 to win a big pot if I hit my straight, and I can just check/fold if I miss. Ergo, calling was correct.

However, implied odds and estimating ranges is a difficult concept, so I figured I'd post this hand for evaluation.

What do you think?
  • 4 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      what sucks is that it's a one card straight which cuts your implieds.
      also i don't think that he's folding suited connectors bbvsb, nearly no one does :P
    • FlashDavin
      FlashDavin
      Bronze
      I think he has a lot of suited connectors in his hand range.

I bet/fold flop and turn. I'm not so sure it's a call here only because you have a one card straight draw and it's the bottom end.

So a J comes, are you really comfortable playing in a big pot here?

A) Villain can likely bluff you off your hand.

B) You can be dominated by lots of better straights and straight draws.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Salivanth,

Bet the flop a bit bigger and Bet/Fold it on the turn, not the best spot to call it while you could be already vs the nuts. ;)

Best Regards.
    • Vycka73
      Vycka73
      Bronze
      I'm folding the turn here. You actually have only 3 outs, because J isn't very good: it gives a board 89TJ, when you only have a 7. You won't get any action, also you shouldn't want it too. And even 6 won't give you the nuts. Your implied odds also not good here, just fold.