This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL5 6-max OESD gets re-raised on turn.

• Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      Poker Stars $5.00 No Limit Hold'em - 4 players - View hand 1828546
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BTN: $2.00
      Hero (SB): $5.00
      BB: $5.55 (11/6/0 over 19 hands.)
      CO: $6.93

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero is SB with K :club: 7 :diamond:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.15, BB calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.30) 9 :diamond: 3 :spade: 8 :club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.19, BB calls $0.19

Turn: ($0.68) T :heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.43, BB raises to $1.27, Hero calls $0.84.

So, here's my own analysis.

Preflop, I'm betting super-wide here, since he's a nit. I can bet ATC here and be profitable until Villain adjusts.

Flop: Standard c-bet. Nothing to see here.

Turn: Here's where things get interesting. I double barrel, as I've picked up an OESD, and get re-raised. Now, obviously I can't call for pot odds here, but I do have implied odds. When creating a range here, I concluded that the only thing villain is likely to have here is a set. He'd fold 2-pairs like T9, 98 etc. preflop, and 3-bet JJ+ preflop. If he had top pair (AT/KT, I don't see him calling with QT/JT) he would be very unlikely to re-raise the turn. The fact that he's re-raised the turn indicates he's prepared to go broke with his hand. Thus, I only need to call $0.84 to win a big pot if I hit my straight, and I can just check/fold if I miss. Ergo, calling was correct.

However, implied odds and estimating ranges is a difficult concept, so I figured I'd post this hand for evaluation.

What do you think?
  • 4 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      what sucks is that it's a one card straight which cuts your implieds.
      also i don't think that he's folding suited connectors bbvsb, nearly no one does :P
    • FlashDavin
      FlashDavin
      Bronze
      I think he has a lot of suited connectors in his hand range.

I bet/fold flop and turn. I'm not so sure it's a call here only because you have a one card straight draw and it's the bottom end.

So a J comes, are you really comfortable playing in a big pot here?

A) Villain can likely bluff you off your hand.

B) You can be dominated by lots of better straights and straight draws.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Salivanth,

Bet the flop a bit bigger and Bet/Fold it on the turn, not the best spot to call it while you could be already vs the nuts. ;)

Best Regards.
    • Vycka73
      Vycka73
      Bronze
      I'm folding the turn here. You actually have only 3 outs, because J isn't very good: it gives a board 89TJ, when you only have a 7. You won't get any action, also you shouldn't want it too. And even 6 won't give you the nuts. Your implied odds also not good here, just fold.