[NL2-NL10] NL5 6-max weird board gets bet on river.

• Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      Poker Stars $5.00 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players - View hand 1829125
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

SB: $4.13 (8 hand sample, 38/25. Too early to tell if anything fishy is going on.)
      Hero (BB): $5.16
      UTG: $5.75
      CO: $5.07
      BTN: $4.39

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero is BB with Q :diamond: 5 :club:
      2 folds, BTN calls $0.05, SB calls $0.03, Hero raises to $0.20, 1 fold, SB calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.45) 6 :heart: 7 :club: 6 :spade: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.29, SB calls $0.29

Turn: ($1.03) 6 :diamond: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

River: ($1.03) A :heart: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.35, Hero calls $0.35

My analysis:

Preflop is standard for me. I like to punish limpers.

Flop: Standard c-bet, the board is paired, so Villain is unlikely to have something. Ergo, bet.

Turn: If I had Ace-high here, I'd be betting. Since I only have queen-high, I have no idea if I'm ahead or behind.

River: The ace is a good scare card, but I figure Villain is betting too small to have an Ace. 1/2 pot or 2/3 pot would be better for value if he had the Ace, so he's likely to be bluffing. Since the call is neutral-EV if he's only bluffing here 1 time in 5, I call. I think he's bluffing here significantly more often than 1/5th of the time.

EDIT: For future reference, should I be posting my own analysis here? Does it bias your own evaluation if I do?
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Salivanth,

Preflop: Wow, I have seen loose players but this is totally spew. :D Hard to comment cause it's really bad play. Curious from what kind of article do did you read such stuff? Especially you saying standard for you. :facepalm: I don't want to be harsh but mate you have a huge leak here.

Seems like you not really getting the point "why we isolate?".

As played
      Flop: You can't CB the flop for value, you most likely getting called from loose opponents on such a board with any made hand and any higher hand. So already on the flop it might be a rather a give-up.

As played
      River: Why would he bet to small to have an ace? :) He doesn't really get called from a lot worse anyways. Hard to comment even that river cause the hand has huge leak earlier. We could have saved here 75 cents? That's ain't even a very small amount, ~1/5 of our stack. :)

Yes, you can post your thoughts it's totally fine but no need to post whole analyze, main questions and main thoughts.

Best Regards.
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      Since you were curious, I got the idea from a Concept of the Week on 2+2 about punishing limpers. Basically the idea is that limpers suck and have hands they are unsure about, and should be raised often. Guess I took it too far. Well, I'm glad I have a big leak. Means lots of room for improvement by fixing it. And please, be harsh. I can handle it, and being harsh means that my brain can't throw up rationalisations. If you'd said "You might want to consider opening tighter vs. limpers here" it simply doesn't have the impact of "Dude, this play totally sucks."
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Salivanth
      Since you were curious, I got the idea from a Concept of the Week on 2+2 about punishing limpers. Basically the idea is that limpers suck and have hands they are unsure about, and should be raised often. Guess I took it too far. Well, I'm glad I have a big leak. Means lots of room for improvement by fixing it. And please, be harsh. I can handle it, and being harsh means that my brain can't throw up rationalisations. If you'd said "You might want to consider opening tighter vs. limpers here" it simply doesn't have the impact of "Dude, this play totally sucks."
      You most likely misunderstood it, it may talk about SB completing and limping but now vs 2 limpers and especially being even OOP, with a hand which can never practically hit well and you will never know even if you hit one of your pairs where you stand.