Starting Over

• SecurityDrew
      SecurityDrew
      Bronze
      I need a change. So I am going back to the beginning and starting over.

Homework

I play poker as a hobby. Being an engineer, I like the math. I like discussions about poker theory and why doing one thing is more correct than another. I also play because it helps pay for the family vacations! in the last year or so, my game has been really off. So I thought I would go back to BSS and do it from the beginning. Let's see how it goes.

I can be tilty. Playing at the microstakes means running into really bad play. Sometimes when I run into a couple of bad suckouts, or horrible plays I can start to spew a bit. I am getting better, and am learning to walk away for a while if a session is going bad. My biggest leak is TP/TK. I need to fold more to river bets when draws hit.

Being a TAG means never limping. If you are coming in first you raise. You play you made hands aggressively as the situation dictates. You call in spots with good implied odds, but let it go if the flop does not connect with your hand. when faced with the options of fold, call or raise, the TAG is more often raising because that's the way you can win more pots. Being a TAG works since most players at the table are passive. They are playing hit to win poker. this means 2/3 of the time they do not connect with the flop, and unless they had a monster starting hand they will fold to any bet. A TAG will constantly put pressure on other players to make decisions about staying in a hand knowing that they will often be facing a good hand that will be betting and raising. Just the image of a TAG makes players with a HUD not want to get involved with you because you have that HM eagle icon next to you description. This makes the TAG the most profitable player type.

I attended my first BSS coaching yesterday. It was a hand review and it was great since no one else was posting hands, so I got about 6 of my hands reviewed.

Anyway, love the site. Looking forward to profitability!!
  • 6 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

I am also an engineer, although I don't work on that right now, finished my studies this year. :D What kind of engineering are you on, and how long?

Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Another option against tilt is to set yourself shorter sessions which might avoid you from tilting. If you playing longer sessions then it's more likely that during that session you can get upset. So work on your game and try to find out what makes you tilt and try to fight against it.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.
    • SecurityDrew
      SecurityDrew
      Bronze
      Thank Veriz for the encouraging words.

I am an electrical engineer class of 1986. I have spent the last ten years as a IT Security Engineer designing security for networks and IT infrastructure in the government.

I am using the session method currently and limiting my session to 1000 hands. So far at NL20 and NL50 I seem to be able to not hit a loss of 3BI. Hope that keeps up.

I will start posting some hands in the evals. I hear what you are saying about aggression. My biggest leak is TP/TK. I need to learn to guard against set mining more effectively as I am stacking off way too often to sets.

Hope to catch your coaching this week.
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      The main thing with TPTK is pot control, you want to keep the pot fairly small if you are unsure your TPTK is best, that way if you must call, its only a small pot.
    • SecurityDrew
      SecurityDrew
      Bronze
      I know that intellectually. But the number of players who will call three streets with TP weak kicker, 2nd pair or even third pair is phenomenal. I think the trick is finding the balance between maximising ev and minimizing stack off.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by SecurityDrew
      Thank Veriz for the encouraging words.

I am an electrical engineer class of 1986. I have spent the last ten years as a IT Security Engineer designing security for networks and IT infrastructure in the government.

I am using the session method currently and limiting my session to 1000 hands. So far at NL20 and NL50 I seem to be able to not hit a loss of 3BI. Hope that keeps up.

I will start posting some hands in the evals. I hear what you are saying about aggression. My biggest leak is TP/TK. I need to learn to guard against set mining more effectively as I am stacking off way too often to sets.

Hope to catch your coaching this week.
      Seems like working on an interesting specialty.

TPTK hands are common to be overplayed, it's not only them but also overpairs. We have to fix the leak before you lose too much money with it. Often times vs unknown we might even play secure play and just Bet/Fold than waste any more money into the pot. For Bet/Calling you would even need a very good reason to continue like having some draw yourself.
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SecurityDrew
      I know that intellectually. But the number of players who will call three streets with TP weak kicker, 2nd pair or even third pair is phenomenal. I think the trick is finding the balance between maximising ev and minimizing stack off.
      Bolded word is key here. Almost no players will reraise with TPWK or worse, so when you bet and are reraised expect your TPTK to be beat. Some players will check/call check/call check/raise a set, but not with middle pair etc, so if they call 2 streets with unknown hand you can just check behind in position, and check/call out of position, this way minimizing the river. Granted you're sacrificing a little bit of value, but it will be much smaller than the amount you're losing stacking off against sets.