Dutch mod playing HU SnG's - **moving up to the $3,50s**

• Orodin
      Orodin
      Bronze
      Hi everyone, welcome to my new blog.

Who am I?
      Let me start off by telling a bit about myself: my name is David, currently 31 years old, and I live in a town near Alkmaar in the Netherlands with my wife and two children. I have been a PokerStrategy.com member since December 2008, and since March 2011 I'm a moderator and translator of quizes and news articles in the Dutch community. Since I became a PokerStrategy.com member my poker adventures have been one big search for the poker game that suited me best. I have played single table SnG's and DoN's (never giving either of those games a real 'chance'), then decided to play SSS and later BSS, the latter of which I have played for quite some time, up to 10NL.

Which game do I play?
      About a month ago I grew a bit tired of fullring cash games and decided to start a poll in which the Dutch community could vote for the poker game they wanted me to play. Eventually I decided to go for heads-up SnG's (normal speed). One of the Dutch coaches then offered to back me for a certain percentage and give me some free coaching, in return for which I of course pay him a percentage of my profits (if any :) ) for the duration of the backdeal.

This backdeal has started at the beginning of July, and so has been going for a couple of weeks now. Because I only play one table at a time, my volume isn't exactly high. This isn't a problem though, because learning the game in order to make the best decisions is my number one priority.

So far I have played about 200 SnG's (the $1,50s on PokerStars), with a ROI of close to 2%. I will include a graph at the bottom of this post, but I've noticed that the PT4 beta that I'm using doesn't always track my results correctly - hence what you see in the graph isn't 100% correct.

So why am I starting this blog here?
      Unfortunately not too many people in the Dutch community are playing HU SnG's. Because of this, I find it a bit hard to get feedback on things I post in my blog. I've been browsing through the English community forums, and I noticed there's a lot more people playing HU SnG's here.

I hope to use this blog to tell you guys about things I'm learning, I will post hands on a regular basis and I hope to get some feedback from you, allowing me to improve my game.

Well, that's it for now. If either if you has any questions, advice or whatever, please let me know.

I'll be in touch!

PS. Sorry for the huge graph. It seems the [ IMGM ] tags don't work here (we use those tags in the Dutch community to resize pics automatically)...

• 32 replies
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Welcome to our English blogging section then!

I'm sure some of our many HUsng bloggers will be by to comment once you get started!

Regards,
      Richard
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Will follow, seems more and more members here are moving to HU SnGs :D
    • TFMonty
      TFMonty
      Bronze
      HUSNG are the future.

PT4 does have some issues with it, and I have reported several examples of games not being properly recorded, whcih they have resolved in future updates. Am sure you can do the same.

HUSNG are in many the truest form for establishing a true ROI figure as they are the least influenced by variance.

Good Luck with your quest.
    • Orodin
      Orodin
      Bronze
      Thanks for the warm welcome guys :f_love:

Of course I'm still a HU fish, so I can use any help I can get here!

Here's a screenshot of the HUD I'm using:

Preflop stats:
      Below each player's name:
      1st row: note editor, player's name, his current number of blig blinds and total hands
      2nd row: all SB stats: Steal%, Limp%, Limp/fold%, Fold to 3bet and 4bet
      3rd row: all BB stats: CallSteal, FoldvsSteal, 3bet, Call4bet and Foldvs4bet

Postflop stats:
      The postflop stats are all per street:
      Aggression frequency
      Aggression factor
      Continuationbet
      Fold vs continuationbet
      Bet in position
      Bet out of position
      Donk
      Float
      Check/call
      Check/raise
      Fold vs check/raise

Of course some of these stats are utterly useless, like a float stat on the river :facepalm: .
      I'm not completely happy with the HU yet though, so I'm still working on it.

However, so far I find it highly useful, and because I have so many stats in my HUD I have no need for any pop-ups.

If anyone likes this HUD and is interested in having it, just let me know. I'll gladly add anyone on Skype or I could send it through e-mail.
    • tryhardnoob
      tryhardnoob
      Bronze
      Cool blog man!
    • stripofbacon
      stripofbacon
      Bronze
      Cool, good luck to you, will follow!
    • Orodin
      Orodin
      Bronze
      @tryhardnoob and stripofbacon: Thanks guys! :)

Small update
      Funny how a sample of 200 games is actually no sample at all. In my opening post I said I had a ROI of about 2% over 200 games. I've played just a couple more now and my ROI went absolutely skyrocket to a whopping 4% :coolface: .

After this session I'm planning on doing a bit of analyzing. I do find that a bit hard sometimes, as I don't really know where to begin. Does anyone have some advice on this perhaps?

Fun hand from the third SnG I played vs a fellow PokerStrategist yesterday evening. We've know each other for close to 2 years now. We've had a backdeal together when I was playing BSS, we call through Skype, have sweat sessions, etc. He's planning on playing HU SnG's as well and started playing these games yesterday evening, completely owning a few fish before we started playing each other. The three SnG's we played together have been a complete leveling war. We both played pretty aggressively and tried to gain chip leads wherever we could. I had already made a couple of bluffs that he folded against and I won the two previous SnG's. So, in the third SnG this happened:

PokerStars - $1.38+$0.12|15/30 NL (2 max) - Holdem - 2 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (BB): 1,843.00
      SB: 1,157.00

SB posts SB 15.00, Hero posts BB 30.00

Pre Flop: (pot: 45.00) Hero has 2:club: A:spade:

SB raises to 60.00, Hero calls 30.00
      Easy call with a weak ace preflop. His opening range is about 70%.

Flop: (120.00, 2 players) 9:club: Q:heart: Q:spade:
      Hero bets 60.00, SB calls 60.00
      I hadn't donked against him before. His range doesn't often hit this board. Neither does mine, but I expect my A high to be good quite often.

Turn: (240.00, 2 players) 2:heart:
      Hero bets 120.00, SB calls 120.00
      I now have 2 pair, so I start betting for value. Given our history I know he won't often give me credit for a hand, so I expect him to call pretty loose.

River: (480.00, 2 players) 7:diamond:
      Hero bets 240.00, SB raises to 917.00 and is all-in, Hero calls 677.00
      I believe my hand is good a fair amount of the time. I bet half pot and he shoves, which in my opinion can mean either of two things: he has a Q of 9 he's been slowplaying (which are just a small part of his range), or he has air. Because he already lost 2 SnG's against me, I expect him to be looking for a chiplead quite often, so I do believe he'll bluff quite often here. I need about 30% equity against his range. I've been playing with ranges in Equilab a bit and when I add a couple of bluffs I do believe I have the 30% I need. I must say it's pretty marginal, but again, given our history, I think my call was okay.

SB shows 8:spade: T:spade: (One Pair, Queens) (Pre 47%, Flop 42%, Turn 23%)
      Hero shows 2:club: A:spade: (Two Pair, Queens and Twos) (Pre 53%, Flop 58%, Turn 77%)
      Hero wins 2,314.00

• Orodin
      Orodin
      Bronze
      Early in the SnG vs unknown. He limps 33% and steals 33% at time of the hand. CallSteal 60, FoldvsSteal 40, 3bet 0.

I flop what could be described as the nuts (orly?? :D ). My flop raise was (at that time) a mistake in my eyes. I was sitting in the sun with my laptop and I didnt even notice I had flopped a SF until after I raised hit flop bet.

Anyway, after his call I think he'll often have either a flush- or straightdraw. I check the turn behind and hope the river brings a card that will complete his draw.

4th flus card comes on the river and now I believe he'll either have a hand he considers the nuts, or a hand he'll fold to any bet. Hence my shove.

I'm wondering what you guys think of my line and my shove. Well played, or should I have bet the turn, of perhaps put in a small value bet on the river?

PokerStars - $1.38+$0.12|10/20 NL (2 max) - Holdem - 2 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: 1,710.00
      Hero (SB): 1,290.00

Hero posts SB 10.00, BB posts BB 20.00

Pre Flop: (pot: 30.00) Hero has J:heart: Q:heart:

Hero raises to 60.00, BB calls 40.00

Flop: (120.00, 2 players) T:heart: K:heart: 9:heart:
      BB bets 60.00, Hero raises to 180.00, BB calls 120.00

Turn: (480.00, 2 players) 8:spade:
      BB checks, Hero checks

River: (480.00, 2 players) 6:heart:
      BB bets 20.00, Hero raises to 1,050.00 and is all-in, fold

Hero wins 520.00
    • tryhardnoob
      tryhardnoob
      Bronze
      Hey I think betting flop like this is fine. But then you should keep betting turn. as played raise less on the river maybe 120 and fold to reraise shove unless you feel he is playing really spewy. Btw I want more girrafs! :D
    • Orodin
      Orodin
      Bronze
      I have a straight flush mate, folding that would be pretty -EV imo :coolface:

And er... Moar girrafs? I'll post one later this evening or tomorrow :)
    • Gerovit
      Gerovit
      Bronze
      You might want to try awesome hud 3.0.

Gl with your goals!
    • tryhardnoob
      tryhardnoob
      Bronze
      What.. u can have a straight AND a flush?
      jk didnt see :P
    • bjela
      bjela
      Bronze
      oooh another HUSNG blog, will follow.

As for the hand... You have to raise flop, IMO. Also, bet turn. What in his flop calling range folds to a 1/2 pot bet here? Given that this is a 3.5$, I'd bet even bigger than that, and jam any river.

As played, I'm not sure about the river. It seams close and your reasoning seams logical, so I'll say wp :D
    • tryhardnoob
      tryhardnoob
      Bronze
      i think u miss value if you jam river as fish generally dont think much and wont call with 8h because they dont realize they got a good hand. think more value in small raise and he will repop if he got the ace 100%
    • Orodin
      Orodin
      Bronze
      Originally posted by bjela
      oooh another HUSNG blog, will follow.

As for the hand... You have to raise flop, IMO. Also, bet turn. What in his flop calling range folds to a 1/2 pot bet here? Given that this is a 3.5$, I'd bet even bigger than that, and jam any river.

As played, I'm not sure about the river. It seams close and your reasoning seams logical, so I'll say wp :D
      Thanks for your comments. I've discussed this hand with my backer as well. He thought it terrible that I didn't bet the turn here, haha.

But I agree. There's no reason for my opponent not to call a turn bet here. Which in turn makes for an even better value bet or shove on the river if he calls the turn as well.

@tryhardnoob: Indeed, a small bet might have been better indeed, as played. But betting the turn would have been even better, I agree with bjela on this :)
    • Ohs
      Ohs
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Orodin

River: (480.00, 2 players) 7:diamond:
      Hero bets 240.00, SB raises to 917.00 and is all-in, Hero calls 677.00
      I believe my hand is good a fair amount of the time. I bet half pot and he shoves, which in my opinion can mean either of two things: he has a Q of 9 he's been slowplaying (which are just a small part of his range), or he has air. Because he already lost 2 SnG's against me, I expect him to be looking for a chiplead quite often, so I do believe he'll bluff quite often here. I need about 30% equity against his range. I've been playing with ranges in Equilab a bit and when I add a couple of bluffs I do believe I have the 30% I need. I must say it's pretty marginal, but again, given our history, I think my call was okay.
      I think that if you are planning to bluff catch him that it is better to c/c than rather than bet/call since he will turn much more hands into bluffs and I don't think value beting this thin on the river will get you that much value overall. :f_grin:
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      Best of luck orodin!!!!!
    • Orodin
      Orodin
      Bronze
      Thanks Farma!! :)

Oh btw guys, this is my ultimate power song. It's a sweet little lullaby I sing to the fishes before I go and kill them:

• Orodin
      Orodin
      Bronze
      Just wondering... What's a normal callSteal%? I regularly play games in wich I fold 70+% vs steals...

Which does make sense against villains who raise only like 20% or less from their buttons, but I notice I do it against loose raisers as well and I don't think that's very good.

Reason is that I hardly ever 3bet bluff, and I don't like to call either as I'd be playing too many marginal hands OOP postflop.

Any advice on this? What ranges do you guys use from BB against loose open raisers?

Oh and btw, tryhardnoob asked for more girrafs... Here's a couple for ya: