Stake give-away for the battle of the donkeys!

• TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze

As some of my team members pay their entries themselves, I will stake someone else. In order to win the staking deal I would like you to accomplish the following task:

Post a sample hand and explain in your own words why it makes sense to make a continuation bet. It doesn't matter if it's a FL, NL or SnG sample hand. You have time till saturday.

I am looking foward to take a look at your sample hands and explanations.

If you don't know what a continuation bet is, take a look at this article or at the Strategy section.

- Continuation bets

- Strategy section
  • 13 replies
    • ManniXXX
      ManniXXX
      Bronze
      Alright I'll start things off.

Titan Poker "TURBO" Kalmar 30/60

saw flop | saw showdown

UTG (3390)
      UTG+1 (800)
      MP1 (1490)
      MP2(3135)
      CO (1580)
      BU (1440)
      SB Hero (1260)
      BB BB (1905)

Preflop: Hero is in the SB with 9:spade: 9:diamond:
      3 folds, MP2 calls 60, 2 folds, Hero raises to 240, BB calls 180, 1 fold.

Flop (540) 7:diamond: 2:heart: Q:diamond:
      Hero bets 300, BB calls 300.

Turn (1140) 3:heart:
      Hero checks, BB bets 1140, Hero moves all-in for 720.

River (3000) 9:club:

Hero shows 9:spade: 9:diamond:
      BB shows 4:spade: 4:diamond:

Hero wins 3000 with Three of a kind, Nines

On the flop our 2nd pair here is often good, but we need to know where we are and basically whether BB has the Q or not. If we check, we have to fold to any worse hands and any bluffs. By betting we continue our preflop aggression, follow up on the initiative we have and also protect from the possible flush draw out there. We put the pressure on our opponent to call with a worse hand, which is exactly what happens here.
    • RMB
      RMB
      Bronze
      I have no reads at all, this is only the 2nd hand in the tournament.

Poker Stars
      No Limit Holdem Tournament
      Blinds: t10/t20
      8 players
      Converter

Stack sizes:
      UTG: t1260
      UTG+1: t2925
      MP1: t1500
      MP2: t1480
      CO: t960
      Button: t1770
      Hero: t1645
      BB: t1370

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is SB with A Q
      UTG calls t20 (pot was t30), 3 folds, CO calls t20 (pot was t50), Button calls t20 (pot was t70), Hero raises to t100, BB calls t80 (pot was t180), UTG calls t80 (pot was t260), CO calls t80 (pot was t340), Button folds.

Flop: K 9 J (t420, 4 players)
      Hero bets t340, BB calls t340 (pot was t760), UTG folds, CO calls t340 (pot was t1100).

Turn: 8 (t1440, 3 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks, CO checks.

River: T (t1440, 3 players)
      Hero bets t880, BB raises all-in t930, CO folds, Hero calls t50 (pot was t3250).

Results:
      Final pot: t3300
      Hero showed Ad Qs
      BB showed 8s Qd

Since i showed strength preflop, it would only be right to make a cbet to see if im still ahead or force someone to fold,. and checks the turn to find out where I stand in this hand. and get a lucky river.

I suck at explaining.
    • Sebra
      Sebra
      Bronze
      PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (5 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($4.70)
      UTG ($5)
      TheGreatMasterHimself ($31.43)
      TribunCaesar ($18.56)
      SB ($15.89)

Preflop: TheGreatMasterHimself is MP with 5:diamond: , 5:spade: .
      1 fold, TheGreatMasterHimself raises to $0.06, TribunCaesar calls $0.06, SB calls $0.05, 1 fold.

Flop: ($0.20) 5:club: , 3:spade: , 6:club: (3 players)
      SB checks, TheGreatMasterHimself bets $0.18, TribunCaesar calls $0.18, SB folds.

Turn: ($0.56) J:spade: (2 players)
      TheGreatMasterHimself bets $0.35, TribunCaesar calls $0.35.

River: ($1.26) 4:spade: (2 players)
      TheGreatMasterHimself checks, TribunCaesar bets $1.06, TheGreatMasterHimself raises to $4, TribunCaesar calls $2.94.

Final Pot: $9.26

I'm up against a very tough highstakes player who gave me a lot of trouble during this session because he played very aggressively and put a lot of pressure on me in position.
      I continuation bet big to end the hand right now. My opponent is definetely capable of light calldowns and big moves later in the hand, so I want to make it as expensive as I can for him.

Oh yeah.. I totally own him with the river check/raise. My handreading skills >>>> all :D
    • asakill
      asakill
      Bronze
      This is what i call continuation bet for dummies 1-2-3

Why? cause somehow evan my Blond girlfriend got hold of the idea of it. After this example.

I play a lot of limit poker and here is an example from a hand

2/4 limit speed 4 players CDpoker

(Preflop) (Flop)
      SB (40.65) (fold)
      BB (71.87) 4 (call) Check\Fold
      UG (68.47) (fold)
      D(me)(145,69) 4(Raise) Raise

BB Unknown
      D 9:club: 10 :club:

Soh lets look on the hand under the gun fold, i look on suited connectors in posotion(Im dealer will act last in the hand after flop), now ive kept an image of a tight players and evry time someone have called me down ive gut the goods. Soh knowing that , i know evan if i do not hit the flop, as long as my opponent dosent hit anything i can take down the pot.

SB fold and BB call for another 2 dollars. Know i had noticed that BB had an nasty habbit of calling on BB, then fold if he hadent hit anything. Knowing that we went to flop.

Flop 2 :heart: 2 :diamond: 7

As you noticed there was obviusly not much on this flop. I had totally missed in evry way, best senario was 2 over cards but that prety usless since evan j high beat us on this spot.

However BB check
      and its my turn to act

Now this is where i try to teach my blond girlfreind why i should raise the pot.
      She couldent understand why i raised on an totally empty flop with zero nada nothing. When the first rule i teached her was not to keap playing on a flop if you dident hit anything on it. Pair, draw etc

Now some might wonder why bother, beside her nice kurvs. Its importen to know when to bet a continuation bet.

It simple, the bet provide you with info ragarding where you stand in the hand. The bet could win you a pot that the first to act takes it down. The bet keaps on th preasure on your opponent giving you the edge of the game, providing you do not fell in your opponents trap. However when to put it is not simple. In fact you nead to take many factors in considuration when makeing it.

When my hand was 9 :club: 10 :club:

flop Flop 2 :heart: 2 :diamond: 7, and my opponent checked. The reason i did the bet was simply to make my opponent fold his hand and take down the pot posibly with the worst hand. He checkd giving me the impresson he dident have much or anything. The flop dident look scary soh there was not many hands he could have had preflop that whould make him hit on it.
      The best being A2, A7 , 77 or 22 (not counting the other hands with 7 or 2 in it)

Now this is where information and what you notice of your opponents play and habbit comes in the picture. I knew that this player was a very agresive player that liked to see a lot of flop. However i knew also he liked to trip raise his Aces. Know that made me belive he was not holding or very unlikely to hold a7 or a2. He also had a habit of beting out if he hit something, makeing me belive that he as me had missed the flop tottally. Now if he had missed totally he whould fold in most cases, and my Continuation bet had give me a pot i normally whould not have won. Also i belived my image as a tight player with something when he beted whould also make my opponent fold. Soh why the continuation bet?

The preflop raiser, keaping pressure, my position, informasjon on my opponent, my image , to recive informasjon where i stood in the hand, a totaly missed flop mostlikely for bought players, to win the pot , the curvs of my girlfreind , the position of the planets , liverpool fc greatest soccer club etc

There are soh many factors that play in, the phrase easy to learn , a lifetime to master comes in the picture.

Cause knowing when to make the continuation bet will give you an edge in poker Nl, Fl, sng or tournaments. Only 1\3 of the flop hits , if you do not know when to continuation bet you will not have the edge and the player who do have it will ram you down. He will keap robbing you until your left in the dark poor and left by your Blond girlfreind with big jucy curvs. When to keap up the pressure do the bet, check, fold , call, comes with experience. However with all the factors that play you might wonder why bother learning my dumb girlfreind ? the answer is simple poker is a game of skill if you master it , if not theres not much diffrence then lotto. Learn, play hands, read, know when to fire 2 bullet is a very importen part of the game.

(Same preflop scenario as above)
      9 :club: 10 :club:

flop k :heart: j :diamond: 6 :club:
      Opponent check
      you keap the pressure to see where your at and posibly take down the pot.
      Opponent call.
      Know you lost 2 dollars however youve got informasjon something is fishy.
      Opponent check turn is 5 :heart: . Now cause of your continuation bet on flop you know, you got nothing. However your opponent seem to think theres something for him in this hand. You check the turn geting to see a free card bechause of your continuation bet on flop. The river is q :club: giving you straight. Your opponent bets out, you reraise, he raises and once more from you. He shows 3 of a kind kings. You take down a good pot.

The reason to learn when to make the continuation bet , is a number one priority to master the game.

Knowing the strenght of you hand preflop is good, however knowing it after flop is posibly bether. The perpouse of continuation bets are many however 2 reason are the biggest buy you the hand or give you informasjon where you stand. Then the rest will come with experience.

My pokerstars username is: bleach_129, sry for bad spelling. Id love to join the team if you whould stake me, considering you whould not sleep before reading true the post.

Im great, but humble
    • Cardbender
      Cardbender
      Bronze
      mmmmm I love steak give aways

• TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Still some time left.....go go go
      :P
    • asakill
      asakill
      Bronze
      Im wondering who won?
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      I think I know :P
    • asakill
      asakill
      Bronze
      Me 2 , but you never now. Tribune its Saturday make a pick. A hint ME! :heart: ! :heart: ! :P
    • kalleklovn1978
      kalleklovn1978
      Bronze
      nice post asakill, you should win. Good info and well writen.
    • asakill
      asakill
      Bronze
      Thanks, im holding my fingers crossed ;)
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Congratulations Asakill. You have won the stacking-deal for the battle of the donkeys. Very nice post!!!

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar
    • asakill
      asakill
      Bronze
      TribunCaesar when will the money get transferd?