Is there any comp whizs around?

• xoshix33
      xoshix33
      Bronze
      i know its not some tech forum, but the community is so nice here i thought someone might help me.
      recently my 1 year old laptop slowed down to hell! it gets stuck every few seconds while iam grinding, i mean like those little twicks, same goes for games that played perfectly, now they get stuck for a second every few seconds, whenever i plug a usb for readyboosy (makes it like extra memory) it helps for a minute or two and then it goes to shit again.
      ive formated and scanned the comp 3times!
      any ideas what to do?
      if you can add me in skype and would like to help id be very glad (add me thru comunitty tool, or ill add you)
  • 13 replies
    • p0rkus
      p0rkus
      Bronze
      Open up the laptop - remove dust from fan - profit!
    • xoshix33
      xoshix33
      Bronze
      happend in one day, from perfect running into shit (actually maybe an hour!)
      also its still shit even when the laptop has been off all night
    • IngridN
      IngridN
      Bronze
      remove heavy files, place them onto an external hard drive, such as pics/movies/music
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      If the onset of slowness is sudden, I would check the following:

In no particular order...
         Disk space. If you're down to less than about 20% free space move big content off -- movies, photos etc.
         Use task manager's processes tab to make sure no process are using massive amounts of CPU time, and if any are, try to kill them. If they won't kill, just reboot.
         Check to see that you really need all running processes. As you shut them down, see which ones speed things up the most.
         Make sure anti-virus is up-to-date. You may have picked up a nasty.
         Look for programs running in the background -- especially if you have recently installed something new.
         Make sure that there are no large files on the desktop. If there are, put them in a folder elsewhere, and put shortcuts on the desktop if you really want them that close to hand.
         Defrag. This is usually not such a big deal, but people selling defrag software like to think so.
         Check to see that task manager reports that you have as much memory as you think you do. You might have a bad RAM chip. Unlikely, but worth checking.
         Check your page file size. For XP and later, use "system managed size" or equivalent, rather than trying to set the size manually. Lot's o' free disk space is especially important on the drive that has your page file on it -- and this should be your system drive (usually C: )
         Check Event Viewer to see if the system event log is recording disk errors. If there are ANY AT ALL, back up everything that you yourself created, and replace your drive.

I'm sure I've forgotten some, but if you get through that list and it is still being a dog, let us know...

Good Luck!
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      Like p0rkus said crack that baby open and remove all the dust, it's a laptop so not the greatest cooling and you probably sometimes keep it in your lap and it sucks up all kinds of things.
      See how much you can remove from the laptop, for mine it's just one panel underside that is held on by bolts. Just be careful to not damage any stickers that say warranty void if broken.
      With poker software I don't notice any performance drop, but when I open up games they start to lag and giving the laptop a good clean is all it takes. I don't use a vacuum cleaner, I just wipe the dust off and then blow really hard on the fan from both sides, there might not seem that much dust and you would think that small layer of dust can't affect the performance that much, but for me it does wonders, I hope it does wonders for you too.
      Also there are cooling pads available if you have cash to drop, or you can just get a piece of wood and stick it under the screen hinges like I have done, the angle helps with typing on the keyboard as well.
    • xoshix33
      xoshix33
      Bronze
      Hmm vorpal iam very thankful for your help but if you read my post, it says ive formated all of the disks everything a few times +scanned all my external+internal drives, disabled all unneeded software.
      i very doubtful its dust since it happend in one day! (also written in the post)
      it was perfect untill just it went to shit.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by xoshix33
      Hmm vorpal iam very thankful for your help but if you read my post, it says ive formated all of the disks everything a few times +scanned all my external+internal drives, disabled all unneeded software.
      i very doubtful its dust since it happend in one day! (also written in the post)
      Apologies -- I missed that.

I agree that dust can be a problem, although my own laptop is nearing 5 yrs old, and no dust problems.

Do you have anything running that needs to access the network a lot?
      (besides your poker client I mean :) )
      Do you hear a lot of disk activity during the slowdowns? Or just before?

add me in the community tool, and we can do this w/o filling up the forums
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      faulty Hardware? hard drive, cpu, memory...

you tend to hear a dusty fan or at the very least the machine should be VERY hot.
    • magicadil
      magicadil
      Bronze
      Here's how to fix your problem:

1) Run an anti Malware Scan: http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_pro/

2) Run CCleaner. This will remove all the useless files that get stored when your browsing the web/files you never use: http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

3) Lastly, do a PC Tuneup, which will fix any registry errors. There is a free trial: http://www.avg.com/ca-en/avg-pctuneup
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by magicadil
      Here's how to fix your problem:

1) Run an anti Malware Scan: http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_pro/

2) Run CCleaner. This will remove all the useless files that get stored when your browsing the web/files you never use: http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

3) Lastly, do a PC Tuneup, which will fix any registry errors. There is a free trial: http://www.avg.com/ca-en/avg-pctuneup
      Originally posted by xoshix33
    • MisClick
      MisClick
      Bronze
      You could try this:

http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html

I got that recommended last year by a member of staff at PokerStars when I was having some issues with the software.
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Move any files you want to keep to a memory stick/external haddrive.

Restore Comp to Factory settings like as if its brand new.

Move files back on.

Tada! If that doesn't speed it up then its an internal issue, open it up and clean it, or take it to a pc ship and get some quotes.

I do this on both my PC and laptop every 3 months or so, never had any problems for years :)
    • xoshix33
      xoshix33
      Bronze
      mattdannes i think you missed the part where i said i formated comp (which in laptop terms is restore to factory).
      well i 99% sure its internal the problem is iam in greece for the next 2 months.
      repairing would cost a fortune.
      i guess ill take it apart tomorrow.