What game should I play?

• Riverdiver
      Riverdiver
      Bronze
      I'd like some advise from you guy's. I want to learn to play mtt's for sure, but I also want to learn to play eather nlhe cashgames or PLO cashgames. PLO looks more fun to me, but i don't know if it requires more time and effort to move through the limits.

So, from which game can you make the most money if you'd play it the same time, PLO 6handed or NLHE 6handed? Note that i'm almost comepletely new to both games
  • 7 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Play a few different varieties and decide for yourself.

Since most of the material at PokerStrategy.com is No Limit Hold'em, that is probably the best starting point.

Once you pass the quiz, and get your $50 starting capital, why not take the NL Beginners course

After that, try some of the other games to see which ones you like best.

Good Luck!
    • tieppofer
      tieppofer
      Bronze
      My advice is to play NLHE FR, if you're new to cash games I don't think SH is the best way to start, same for PLO.

Like Vorpal said, get your starting capital and take the NL Beginners course, it is great.

GL at the tables ;D
    • Riverdiver
      Riverdiver
      Bronze
      Thanks for the help, but it's not what i meant :f_biggrin: . Let me put it differently: I put in 1000 hours in either PLO or NLHE, starting from scratch. In which game will i probably make the most money? :s_biggrin:
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Silver
      Hey Riverdiver

I'm learning PLO at the moment, let me tell you what i think,

Basically at the minute, in my opinion, if you are willing to really study hard and improve then PLO can be more profitable than NLHE because people are still jumping on the PLO bandwagon and the game is getting more and more popular each day, there are a huge number of fish around at the moment, so you can make a lot more $. Another thing for me is that PLO is just a million times more fun.

However, you need HUGE balls to play :D the variance can and will be super sick at times so you need to make sure you can deal with this or you will have to get used to it pretty quick anyway. Because of this you can also spend a lot more time breaking even, even if you are constantly getting your money in as favourite.

In the end you just need to pick which game you have the most fun playing because when it comes down to it, thats the game you are gonna have the most enthusiasm for and determination to become the best you can be.

Hope this helps let me know if you need anything else
      Carl
    • Riverdiver
      Riverdiver
      Bronze
      That really helps, thanks Carl.

I'm gonna start of at pkr playing NL just to make money to buy the HUD :f_biggrin: , which i'm gonna use to learn omaha
    • tieppofer
      tieppofer
      Bronze
      Same answer, NLHE is easier to learn and to play if I don't have much experience, start with FR, then you can go SH and you can also try learning PLO :D
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Silver
      Originally posted by Riverdiver
      That really helps, thanks Carl.

I'm gonna start of at pkr playing NL just to make money to buy the HUD :f_biggrin: , which i'm gonna use to learn omaha
      No problem, another piece of advice i would give is that if you really want to start to learn omaha just jump right in, a HUD isnt the most important of tools at the micros just stick to a low number of tables and make a lot of notes, play really tight until you get the hang of how it works and make sure you are only getting your money in with Nuts or a strong draw to the nuts unless you have a VERY good read. There are so many times in PLO where you think you must be ahead and then boom you're one stack down. So read the board and then when you think you know what the nuts are check it again to make sure :D

Imo the quicker you start playing PLO the quicker you get better, any time spent playing NLHE is time you could have used to read/watch/play the game you really want to learn :)

Keep us updated on how it goes

Carl