[NL2-NL10] NL4 FR c-bet with AK oop on a low board?

• Phoenix2104
      Phoenix2104
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      MP3:
      $4.47
      CO:
      $3.33
      BU:
      $4.00
      SB:
      $3.96
      BB (Hero):
      $1.39
      UTG1:
      $1.23
      UTG2:
      $4.00
      MP1:
      $4.00
      MP2:
      $1.48

Preflop: Hero is BB with K, A.
      UTG1 calls $0.04, 6 folds, SB calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.24, UTG1 calls $0.20, SB folds.

Flop: ($0.52) 7, 9, 6 (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG1 bets $0.25, Hero folds, UTG1 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.52.

I'm posting this because besides the situation where I raise pre-flop with a big pair and an overcard comes at the flop, this is the other scenario that I encounter very often and troubles me a lot.
      I didn't have much info on the opponent other than that my view of him was that he was a rather weak player. That kind of players often when they limp-in from early position and then call a big raise they either have a small-medium pocket pair, which they aren't folding to a c-bet at a low board like this even if they don't hit a set, or they have a big pair and they are traping. Combined with the fact that there are a lot of draws on the board, I decided against c-betting.
      My question is how should I have played it?
      Specifically:
      1) At such a low board (even with less obvious draws) do we c-bet with two overcards, out of position, against a limper from early or middle position who called our pre-flop raise?
      2) What if we had position on the opponent after the flop and he checked the flop to us?
      3) Finally, what if the opponent was playing after us pre-flop and just called our raise? Do we c-bet then?
      Thanks.
  • 1 reply
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hey,

If we are going to give up every single time when we do not hit because we put our opponents on solely pocket pairs then you are better off only playing 22+ , I hope that you know what I mean by saying this ;)

That said sometimes we just give up because the board is too drawheavy and hits our opponent more in average

976 is one of the more drawheavy flops since PPs barely will fold, Suited connectors have hit at least a pair + straight draw so there is not a lot of fold equity to be created here

To answer your other questions:
      2) The board is still drawheavy but now we can take a freecard, be glad you can take it to hit a free toppair :)

3) The situation is still the same but with more stronger rangers in general, I still would not cBet this board as a pure bluff without any statistics

- Gerv