[NL2-NL10] NL4 FR What to do when a possible draw completes?

• Phoenix2104
      Phoenix2104
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      UTG2:
      $5.23
      MP1:
      $1.14
      MP2:
      $3.94
      MP3:
      $4.00
      CO:
      $4.00
      BU (Hero):
      $1.84
      SB:
      $7.03
      BB:
      $2.30

Preflop: Hero is BU with A, 6.
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.12, SB calls $0.10, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.28) 6, 4, 8 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.16, SB calls $0.16.

Turn: ($0.6) A (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

Didn't know much about the opponent other than that he was a regular and from what I could see at the time a winning one. My overall impression of him was that he was a solid player.
      Now, I made two pairs at the turn but also a possible flush draw completed. I couldn't think of many hands I could beat that he could have called with both pre-flop and at the flop, as I thought that with 99+ he would have raised and I think he wouldn't have called at the flop with just two overcards. So a flush draw on his part looked very possible to me at the time. For that reason I decided to go for pot control and check here and perhaps call a bet at the river.

River: ($0.6) 4 (2 players)
      SB raises to $6.75, Hero folds, SB gets uncalled bet back.

And then he goes all-in at the river. I believe they call this kind of bet polarised, meaning that he's either bluffing or has a monster. I thought about calling for a while. But then again he hadn't given me the impression of someone who would do such a move with nothing, so I decided to fold. BTW situations like this is the reason why I hate playing with a bigger stack...

Final Pot: $0.6.

So, the question is how should I have played this hand? And more generally when a possible draw completes should we continue being aggressive with a strong hand or go for pot control instead?
  • 1 reply
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hey Phoenix,

I would just continue betting the Turn as there are a lot of nutflushdraws blocked now. If he had K:dQ he would have been check/raising the Flop

If he raises you there, you can easily fold :)

Now the RIver is an easy fold, no need to get fancy and call. Our relative handstrength is pretty weak and is comparable to having AK

- Gerv