This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL4 FR What to do when a possible draw completes?

• Phoenix2104
      Phoenix2104
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      UTG2:
      $5.23
      MP1:
      $1.14
      MP2:
      $3.94
      MP3:
      $4.00
      CO:
      $4.00
      BU (Hero):
      $1.84
      SB:
      $7.03
      BB:
      $2.30

Preflop: Hero is BU with A, 6.
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.12, SB calls $0.10, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.28) 6, 4, 8 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.16, SB calls $0.16.

Turn: ($0.6) A (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks.

Didn't know much about the opponent other than that he was a regular and from what I could see at the time a winning one. My overall impression of him was that he was a solid player.
      Now, I made two pairs at the turn but also a possible flush draw completed. I couldn't think of many hands I could beat that he could have called with both pre-flop and at the flop, as I thought that with 99+ he would have raised and I think he wouldn't have called at the flop with just two overcards. So a flush draw on his part looked very possible to me at the time. For that reason I decided to go for pot control and check here and perhaps call a bet at the river.

River: ($0.6) 4 (2 players)
      SB raises to $6.75, Hero folds, SB gets uncalled bet back.

And then he goes all-in at the river. I believe they call this kind of bet polarised, meaning that he's either bluffing or has a monster. I thought about calling for a while. But then again he hadn't given me the impression of someone who would do such a move with nothing, so I decided to fold. BTW situations like this is the reason why I hate playing with a bigger stack...

Final Pot: $0.6.

So, the question is how should I have played this hand? And more generally when a possible draw completes should we continue being aggressive with a strong hand or go for pot control instead?
  • 1 reply
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hey Phoenix,

I would just continue betting the Turn as there are a lot of nutflushdraws blocked now. If he had K:dQ he would have been check/raising the Flop

If he raises you there, you can easily fold :)

Now the RIver is an easy fold, no need to get fancy and call. Our relative handstrength is pretty weak and is comparable to having AK

- Gerv