Patience

• AltarEgo
      AltarEgo
      Bronze
      It strikes me that I have become more impatient as a person since I last played a lot of poker circa 2006-7.

And this is really bad for my poker.

Some days I have my poker brain engaged and am patient, think through hands and decisions with real clarity.

But I have quite a lot fo days where I play too many hands in cahs games, or build up great early stacks in MTT's/ SNG's only to blow it because I played too many hands.
      My play isn't bad, it's my patience.

Any recommendations on how to work on this aspect of my psyche?
  • 8 replies
    • Rahica
      Rahica
      Bronze
      I think you are getting overconfident because you are already "old in the business" and you're thinking that most of the people out there are just beginners who do not know the game. Taking this in consideration your brain is thinking you might outplay them with any two, but that's not really possible:) .. Happened to me as well, it's called overconfidence !

My advice, try playing when you're not tired,when you have nothing to do, and when you do, try playing 1 hour extra conservative in NL2, playing only AQ+ , just to see if you can do it. If you can't fold A9s from UTG, this means you need to take a vacation !:) )

P.S. I'm just talking from my own experience, I'm not psychologist or somebody professionally trained to help you in this matter. Just trying to help. Cheers !
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by AltarEgo
      Any recommendations on how to work on this aspect of my psyche?
      There is a fair amount of "mental game" material in posts in the "Learning to Win" forum.

Have a look!

Can't find it at the moment, but I'm sure on this site I ran across a list of questions you need to answer before you bet.

If anyone DOES find it, please post it, because I could do with another look too.

Good Luck,
      --VS
    • zumpar
      zumpar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Rahica
      If you can't fold A9s from UTG, this means you need to take a vacation !:) )

how can u fold? its sjuuuted :pokerface:
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      erm... the list of things to consider should be something along the lines of: number of opponents, position, stack sizes, opponents' ranges, your percieved range, fold equity, your plan for the future streets (if different cards come) and vs various opponents' actions, your hand and your equity. then you compare the equities of different moves that you can do and select the one which is most +ev considering all of those factors (assumptions).
    • AltarEgo
      AltarEgo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Rahica
      I think you are getting overconfident because you are already "old in the business" and you're thinking that most of the people out there are just beginners who do not know the game. Taking this in consideration your brain is thinking you might outplay them with any two, but that's not really possible:) .. Happened to me as well, it's called overconfidence !

My advice, try playing when you're not tired,when you have nothing to do, and when you do, try playing 1 hour extra conservative in NL2, playing only AQ+ , just to see if you can do it. If you can't fold A9s from UTG, this means you need to take a vacation !:) )

P.S. I'm just talking from my own experience, I'm not psychologist or somebody professionally trained to help you in this matter. Just trying to help. Cheers !
      You're not far off the mark.

And yeah I am going to play a session with a range tighter than a ducks arse as a discipline exercise. I have done it before but not for an extended duration.

I think perhaps I had overconfidence when I started playing again this year, but that has dissapeared a bit. But it's a bit of a blow to the ego when I used to be a solid player...to come back and there's been huge advances in technology like HUDs, equilators etc etc that are new concepts.

I'm trying to destroy the ego.
    • AltarEgo
      AltarEgo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Schnitzelfisch
      erm... the list of things to consider should be something along the lines of: number of opponents, position, stack sizes, opponents' ranges, your percieved range, fold equity, your plan for the future streets (if different cards come) and vs various opponents' actions, your hand and your equity. then you compare the equities of different moves that you can do and select the one which is most +ev considering all of those factors (assumptions).
      Sounds about right - I'm making a mental note of that.
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Will move this to learning to win.

Sure the guys there will help you out!
    • Washkys
      Washkys
      Bronze
      I suggest you to read - The Poker Mindset: Essential Attitudes for Poker Success :]

Believe me, It's the book that will change the way you look at poker.. In all terms of it.. You will begin to see poker as an investment, and that A9s as said before, will not be sweet anymore.. Now you will see UTG, stack sizes, and alot more, than just hand rank.. :)