psyxxx74

• 33 replies
    • SokAr85
      SokAr85
      Bronze
      Hi

GL with your game. Do you play Starcraft?
    • psyxxx74
      psyxxx74
      Bronze
      Yeah used to.... I think everyone here have in some time during their life...
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck psyxxx74,

Do you plan to deposit or plan to build up your bankroll from freerolling?

Hopefully you will enjoy around here. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, we will be around for you. Meanwhile good luck on tables, we will be waiting for your homework.

You can start with your 1st Lesson:
      Lesson #1

The whole course plan:
      Overview of Beginners Course

Best Regards.
    • psyxxx74
      psyxxx74
      Bronze
      I will be depositing. The bonus is good, and also i don't have enough time at the moment to go through freerolls where I haven't learned how to play tourneys.

That being said, here's the homework:

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.)

Money is definitely one thing, but more than the money itself, I truly want to be strong, want to be considered as a "good player". Also it keeps my mind sharp and alert all the time, which helps on my life as well. And finally I have a "hobby" or something I am very interested and willing to study and put efforts - which I didn't quite have until now besides playing online games. I can make money playing. :)

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? (What are the mistakes you know you are making during your games? Are you playing while you're tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write down as many as you think are affecting you.)

The biggest mistakes I think is two things: Tilt and playing post flop passive or too aggressive. First, after having bad beats or fail on "all-in" showdowns, I feel like I want to jump back into the pot and play whatever hand I have just to get back the money I have lost. Also playing post flop passive or too aggressive means, sometimes I'm not sure if my hand is strong enough for enemies, so I check/fold alot, or sometimes I go crazy and bet/raise, hoping that I will fold them. I think I have a true fear for showdowns, and will like to get things before the river- I think this is my biggest mistakes.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive? (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is and why does it work.)

Despite the fact that I am not playing tight aggressive right, that being said I think playing tight aggressive is selective and strong. In Pre-flop, playing tight will mean you will be very selective on your hole cards, choosing decently strong hand, yet not over value some cards like KQ or KJ because it could be dominated, also at post flop playing tight means being able to decide to lay down the cards despite the fact that you think you had a good hand at pre-flop but not at flop.
      Aggressive part, when you decide to play along, bet/raise and try to maximize the value of your hand at each street, or protect your hand to let others fall. Either way if you play passive, you will have enemies following you all the way to the river, but by playing aggressive you have higher chance of winning by having weaker hands follow you or having stronger hands fold. You have two ways to win.
      I think the best advantage of the Tight aggressive player, is that it will receive respect from the others from the table, therefore if it's right time, you have couple tricky moves like stealing blinds work out successfully. I believe it is a basic style of all the styles in poker, and to derive it in the future as player progresses will be the key.

neverthyless, I can't get the theory into my playing... that's my problem. :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Another option against tilt is to set yourself shorter sessions which might avoid you from tilting. If you playing longer sessions then it's more likely that during that session you can get upset. So work on your game and try to find out what makes you tilt and try to fight against it.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.
    • psyxxx74
      psyxxx74
      Bronze
      Hello Veriz,

I have noticed that on your personal coaching thread you had uploaded the calculator for various situations. Are they exclusive for your private coaching students? since I try to clilck the link the download seems to be broken.

It will be very good if you can re-link them as I believe alot of people here needs them as well (not sure what they are exactly, but probably have to be some good stuff)

Thanks in advance.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Silver
      hello sir :spade:

are you korean or just living there?
      i've managed to learn 한굴, but the actual language usage and grammar look REALLY hard for foreigners like me. so my actual level of fluency is zero :f_biggrin:

i'm a fullring nl25 regular about to move up to nl50, and i have some little interest in improving my written korean skills.
      maybe i could try to help you with your poker and you try to help me with my korean

감사합니다 (if i remember that right) :D
      whatever you decide, good luck with the course, it's awesome :D
    • psyxxx74
      psyxxx74
      Bronze
      I'm Korean American, but I'm sure I can teach you some tips in Korean. :)

Do you live in Korea or what?

yes it is right. :)

So you took the course too?
    • psyxxx74
      psyxxx74
      Bronze
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why? (Are there any hands you would play differently? Do you have a problem or question about how a specific hand or hands should be played?)

There are many, like playing a little bit more loose as you can have a bit more opportunity, as well as raising some hands which in the SHC says to call (middle pairs, etc) since they maybe strong enough and can isolate others, also playing AT, AJ, KJ raising from earlier position than what's written there, if you think the table is too tight- and even others call you can still check the flop so there's still some more rooms to play with, playing AA with limping at early stage, if you get alot of limpers to follow and you know there is some raisers at the end, and re-raise after he raises, so you get the maximum out of it in the tight table, and so on..

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. ( Post your hand in the Hand evaluation forums and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)

yes I did
      AK Should I raise or not?

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo. ( You can either calculate this yourself or use an equity calculator such as the PokerStrategy.com Equilab.)
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 53.68% 45.27% 8.41% 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo
      UTG+1 46.32% 37.91% 8.41% AKo

The Equity will be 46.32%

I will really like to know how I can calculate this myself as it's mentioned... I have no idea but to use Equilab, or sort of similar tools..
    • psyxxx74
      psyxxx74
      Bronze
      In a flop/turn situation, if both sides are looking for draw, and you need to bet, what do you do?

I mean I will like to see the turn/river cheap so I have a better pot odds, but on the other hand, if I think the villain is looking for draws, isn't it better to raise high to give him bad odds to call?

So , which one do I do? bet little/check to check your draws? or bet high and hope he folds?
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Silver
      Originally posted by psyxxx74
      I'm Korean American, but I'm sure I can teach you some tips in Korean. :)

Do you live in Korea or what?

yes it is right. :)

So you took the course too?
      no, i just sympathize with the culture and stuff. :D

i did take the course... back then i was breakeven at NL2! things have definitely changed :f_biggrin:
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

I have noticed that on your personal coaching thread you had uploaded the calculator for various situations. Are they exclusive for your private coaching students? since I try to clilck the link the download seems to be broken.

The calculator has been removed. If you still have interests just e-mail me and I can send it to you. :)

Isolating can be very profitable actually since people on lower stakes take the fast and easy line by just Fit/Folding too much. With that you will earn in long run a lot profit. Which means you can isolate with even wider range, sometimes even with the all range which you planned to limp.

playing AA with limping at early stage

This is a leak, strongly advice to remove it from your game. One of the worst things beginners do, limping with strong hands and then think it's a fancy move. You will in long run rather lose tons of money than win with it. It's quite obvious what kind of hand you have if you are limp/raising or whatsoever.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

I will really like to know how I can calculate this myself as it's mentioned... I have no idea but to use Equilab, or sort of similar tools..

Then good time to start using it, one of the most important tools you going to use in poker. How to calculate it manually we going to cover some aspects later on, going to give you few tips at specific homework.

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      In a flop/turn situation, if both sides are looking for draw, and you need to bet, what do you do?

I mean I will like to see the turn/river cheap so I have a better pot odds, but on the other hand, if I think the villain is looking for draws, isn't it better to raise high to give him bad odds to call?

So , which one do I do? bet little/check to check your draws? or bet high and hope he folds?

Very difficult to answer your questions here, cause they vary from wall to another wall. :D Not really getting even what you trying exactly to ask. Try to find some hands which you played and post them so we could take a look. :)

About bet sizing you can always read the articles which you have access to. ;) Starting from very beginning and ending up higher ranked articles/videos whenever you get that far. That's at least my advice.
    • psyxxx74
      psyxxx74
      Bronze
      A) Calculator > Ok I will try sending you e-mail, but last time I requested for information on private coaching, you kinda ignored me so I figured you must be busy with your e-mail, but neverthyless, I will try again. :)

B) AA well, i was imagining this case, where the table likes to limp and you always have one guy that likes to raise to steal the limps, and suppose you are UTG. If I raise on UTG, I figured everyone will fold, as to if I limp, everyone else limps and someone raises , so I can re-raise and try to maximize the profit as much on such tables... no? lol of course not all the time, but sometimes on certain situations, wouldn't it maximize the equity? (just a thought btw)

C) about the draw, suppose you are looking for a flush draw, and you have 50/50 guess that your opponent is looking for draw as well. Unfortunately you don't have ace of that suit. The opponent could be pair, two pair, etc, if you get the flush you have very high chance of winning unless he is looking for draw as well. In this case should you check to minimize the cost to see the next card so you have chances to have flush cheaper? or should you bet 3/4~pot size to try to let him give up on his draws so he will fold? Even he calls you can try to see the next card as well.
      I'm sure it's case by case, but i was just asking for "general case" situation.

Just some thoughts I had.
    • psyxxx74
      psyxxx74
      Bronze
      how much is it different from NL2 and NL25?
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Silver
      i'll write off my impressions on the entire moving up process

NL2: beginners, a lot of really spazzy fish (obv not taking anything seriously) and some really nitty regs
      NL5: more regs, people are better overall and taking things more seriously. the difference can feel big
      NL10: more regs, people are a bit better overall
      NL25: MORE regs, DEFINITELY more preflop aggressiveness when compared to NL10 (specially with light 3betting) postflop average level still isn't too great though
      NL50: ????
    • psyxxx74
      psyxxx74
      Bronze
      I see. Thanks for the info, so which site do you play?
    • psyxxx74
      psyxxx74
      Bronze
      never mind, just saw your blog. :)
    • psyxxx74
      psyxxx74
      Bronze
      Question 0: Download and install the Equilab. (You can download the Equilab for free here: PokerStrategy.com Equilab.)

Yup I did

Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53? (Tip: you can use the Equilab to help you with this task.)

My equity against 33 is

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% KsQs
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% 3d3c

with flop

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% KsQs
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% 3d3c

The equity drops after flop actually.

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't enough!)
      No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

Call, because the pot odds are slightly over 4, and flush draw alone is 4:1 in odds.

At the same time i will also put any 4 as outs as well, as you are not losing.

In the case that the enemy has sets, 6, 3, I will calculate the remainder in implied odds, which supposes in the situation assuming the enemy will still aggressively bet because he has set , ignoring 3 clubs in the board in this case, i think our implied odds can be pretty big from extra 44 cent at least to his whole remainder stack.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. (Post your hand in the hand evaluation forum and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)

Defintitly. Here is the link that I got my butt kicked

JJ in NL20 got my butt kicked