[DONE] SideKick vs SSD!

• Tarhonya
      Tarhonya
      Bronze
      Let me just get right to it with a screenshot:

The shot shows that under only a couple hours of runtime, SideKick has written ~42GB of data to my C drive which happens to be a Solid State Drive for me and more and more people nowadays. It is well known, that SSD's have a limited number of writes.
      Since we cannot even change the install destination of SideKick (nor language but that's another story), it means that it's decreasing SSD's life expectancy continously by a lot.

It simply wasting SSD's.
  • 9 replies
    • mrk1988
      mrk1988
      Bronze
      Hi Tarhonya,

thanks for your report - I will discuss this with my colleague Michael and we will get back to you.
    • TiciBoy
      TiciBoy
      Bronze
      Wow, didn't even give this thing any attenition. Thanks for pointing this out.

Sidekick unistalled. :f_biggrin:
    • abnaxis
      abnaxis
      Bronze
      Hiya,

i believe making a junction link should fix this issue. I basically do this for most programs that i don't want installed on my ssd when they don't give me a choice of the installation folder. (although having one would be great /wink /wink :D )

What it basically does is that it "tricks" windows that the program is installed somewhere else, as in a different disk.

But I am in no way an expert in these things, this is just what has been advised to me when I had issues with other similar programs being installed on ssd. So i suggest googling for more info and how to do it :) It is quite simple though.

Here's a wikipedia link to start you off with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_junction_point

Well, just my two cents,

Have a great day,

Abnaxis
    • Tarhonya
      Tarhonya
      Bronze
      @abnaxis

That was my first thought as well, but I still can't be certain if it's chewing on one of it's files, or some hidden cache or framework files or w/e and considering that I never liked SideKick anyway, becuase - forgive my honesty - I think it's a programming disaster, I thought uninstalling it is much easier than analyzing it's I/O actions with another tool to make sure.

From time to time when I see a new SieKick promotion I install it to see if it's any better without luck so far. The reason why I not just uninstalled it silently and kept it to myself, is because it's not just slow and inefficient as it was, but now it poses danger to certain computer hardware in the long run.
    • JohnDoe1313
      JohnDoe1313
      Platinum
      Anything new regarding this issue?
    • mrk1988
      mrk1988
      Bronze
      Hey,

I've discussed this with my colleague Michael and we need a logfile export from 'Tarhonya' to investigate this behaviour.

Please right click PokerStrategy.com SideKicks tray icon, select "export logfiles" and send the file to application-services[at]pokerstrategy[dot]com.

Please include a link to this thread in your email.

Thanks!
    • Tarhonya
      Tarhonya
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mrk1988
      Hey,

I've discussed this with my colleague Michael and we need a logfile export from 'Tarhonya' to investigate this behaviour.

Please right click PokerStrategy.com SideKicks tray icon, select "export logfiles" and send the file to application-services[at]pokerstrateg[dot]com.

Please include a link to this thread in your email.

Thanks!
      I already did that the same time I made this thread, but to be sure I sent it again.
    • mrk1988
      mrk1988
      Bronze
      I saw your email it in the meantime - but thanks for making sure!
    • MichaelWagner42
      MichaelWagner42
      Bronze
      Good morning,

The next SideKick release will write much less data to your SSD. We writing now 1/10th data now - even with the new hand list feature :)

Ciao
      Michael