help with new PC please

• opal99
      opal99
      Black
      My main PC died (R.I.P. my friend :( )...

Since it has been a long while I've built some PC I need your help:

CPU: AMD Phenom X4 9750
      ------
      MB: ? what would you recommend ? (and maybe WHY?)
      ------
      RAM: these are options:
      ------
      CORSAIR DDR2 2x2048MB 800 Mhz TWIN2X C5
      CORSAIR DDR2 2x2048MB 800 Mhz TWIN2X C5DHX Tech.
      CORSAIR DDR2 2x2048MB 800 Mhz TWIN2X C4DHX Tech
      is there any real difference?
      DDR3 costs too much (almost twice as much) so I don't like this idea, but would it be worth these extra money?
      ------
      At the moment I need only 1 monitor so 1 "mid-tech" graphic card should be fine, but I'm going to upgrade it in ~3-4 months to 2 screens, so will need some option to (maybe) add second card..
      I'm not playing any games so graphic card performance is not what should I look for (price is important).
      ------
      HDD: SAMSUNG 750GB SATA2 32MB - HD753LJ
      ------

And of course: it's mainly to play poker and work with huge database so what do you think?

any useful comments would be great but main topic are MB & VGA

thank you very much
  • 22 replies
    • Drakhor
      Drakhor
      Bronze
      Maybe you could get some inspiration from this post. :)

The Gigabyte MoBo is quite good, but you'd need an AMD variant of course. And if you don't need that much power when it comes to graphics, I'd suggest a Nvidia 9600 GT. It's relatively cheap and is good enough for most of your poker needs, and even some bigger games, as long as you don't need all the eye candy. It has 2 DVI... errr... thingies, so you can hook up two monitors. It is also ideal to be used with another 9600 GT in SLI mode, as long as you only want two of them. Triple SLI (or more) is NOT for the 9600 GT.

And the same with RAM. If you don't plan on playing lots of high speed games, it doesn't really matter which RAM sticks you have in your bucket. Corsair is always a great choice so you can't go wrong when you pick the cheapest one. :)
    • RMB
      RMB
      Bronze
      hmm.. I would say MSI for the MB, you should on what kind really depends on the purpose of the computer.

Any of the RAM options are good enough lol, more than enough for plain poker and other crap, would even work for gaming purposes.

alot of options,
    • Crozac
      Crozac
      Bronze
      OK.
      Here's what I think.

CPU, great performance , but I would recommend this one because of even better performances and great overclocking ability. (some $60 more than 9750 one, but I think it's worth that money) AMD Phenom X4 9850 Black Edition, quad core, 2.5GHz, SckAM2+ ------- $344

MB: I'm a huge fan of Gigabyte. Great support , features, and all the other stuff. If you want 2 graphic cards, then this MB is good (also you can put just one VGA, and if you want, just put another one anytime you like) Gigabyte MA790X-DS4, sAM2, AMD 790X, 2x PCIE x16 CrossFire, SATA, FW, GLAN --------- $150

RAM: There's realy no big difference between those 3. Any of them is good. RAM PC-6400, 4 GB, CORSAIR XMS2-6400, DDR2 800 MHz, KIT 2x2 GB -------- $150

VGA: Well. ATI or nVidia. I prefer ATI. This one is "mid-tech" VGA PCI-E GIGABYTE ATI RADEON HD3850, 512MB DDR3, 256bit, DVI. It has dual DVI, so you don't need to buy another one if you don't want and you can still hook up 2 monitors ------- $230

HDD HDD 500.0 GB SEAGATE, SATA, 32MB c., 7200 rpm ------ $120

That's what i was thinking of. Hope it helps
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      High prices at your store Crozac. :)

opal99 where are you from?

http://geizhals.at/eu/a324688.html
      http://geizhals.at/eu/a260889.html

etc. :)
    • Crozac
      Crozac
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ciRith

Those are the lowest I could find here in Croatia.

wow. Just those 2 components and I saved 110€

It's much cheaper in Germany or Austria, I could get some relatives to buy it there for me. I'm also planing on buying a new PC but have to grind a bit more on NL20 :D
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Don't forget that the dollar is worth nothing anymore so it could be higher as it seems. Don't you need to pay import taesÜ If not it would be really worth it.

Mindfactory is a good shop. (You can't trust any shop.)
    • Crozac
      Crozac
      Bronze
      Don't forget that the dollar is worth nothing anymore so it could be higher as it seems. Don't you need to pay import taesÜ If not it would be really worth it.

Mindfactory is a good shop. (You can't trust any shop.)
      that dollar thing doesn't worry me, we use euros or kunas here.

Import taxes is the thing that may be a bit worrying. I have relatives near Stuttgart, and they're coming to Croatia for summer holidays so they could easily get it here. :D
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black

I'm from Slovakia but east part so it's quite a long walk for few components.

The prices here are about +10% - 20% to yours :( I'll have to think about it...

btw: any clue what does this mean: "zzgl. Versandkosten Inland: Vorkasse 0,00 € | Sofortüberweisung 9,99 € | Nachnahme 11,99 €, incl. 19 % UST" and this: "oder in unserem Schnäppshop"??
      thank you ;)

Originally posted by Crozac

CPU, great performance , but I would recommend this one because of even better performances and great overclocking ability. (some $60 more than 9750 one, but I think it's worth that money) AMD Phenom X4 9850 Black Edition, quad core, 2.5GHz, SckAM2+ ------- $344
      on http://www.mindfactory.de is difference only 4,75 eur so it's worth even more I think ;)

MB: I'm a huge fan of Gigabyte. Great support , features, and all the other stuff. If you want 2 graphic cards, then this MB is good (also you can put just one VGA, and if you want, just put another one anytime you like) Gigabyte MA790X-DS4, sAM2, AMD 790X, 2x PCIE x16 CrossFire, SATA, FW, GLAN --------- $150
      lol.. it's almost the best/the most costly MB from Gigabyte on the market.

What about Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H AM2+ RS780 PCIe mATX with integrated VGA card (ATI Radeon HD3200-based graphics (DX10))?
      I found it's probably the best onboard graphic card but what's your experience with these kinds? I've never had integrated one so I'm curious...

Is it possible to use it with other dual DVI card to enjoy 3 monitors? just example ;)
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by Drakhor
      Maybe you could get some inspiration from this post. :)
      are you kidding me, right? ;) My new friend will cost 650-750 eur (of course without LCD & software)

Originally posted by Drakhor
      And if you don't need that much power when it comes to graphics, I'd suggest a Nvidia 9600 GT. It's relatively cheap and is good enough for most of your poker needs, and even some bigger games, as long as you don't need all the eye candy. It has 2 DVI... errr... thingies, so you can hook up two monitors. It is also ideal to be used with another 9600 GT in SLI mode, as long as you only want two of them. Triple SLI (or more) is NOT for the 9600 GT.
      hmm.. nice idea but it's not as cheap as I'd like to see.
      I'm really considering integrated VGA at the moment with later upgrade... Don't need any real performance now - what do you think?
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Vorkasse 0,00 € | Sofortüberweisung 9,99 € | Nachnahme 11,99 €, incl. 19 % UST" and this: "oder in unserem Schnäppshop"??

That are the shipping costs within germany.

Vorkasse 0,00 € = 0€ additional cost if you pay in advance.
      Sofortüberweisung 9,99 € = an 'immediate' payment. Never heart of so I can't tell you more. Maybe that's paypal?
      Nachnahme 11,99 € = is if you pay when you get the package (in cash at the door).
      incl. 19 % UST= 19% taxes are already included.
      oder in unserem Schnäppshop = our in our bargain shop (reduces hardware if it got sent back or something like that).
    • degnic
      degnic
      Bronze
      do you play some new 3d games, or just for poker?

If you don't play 3d games, and rather go with price than quality choose some AMD cpu. If you play 3d games or use programs with heavy cpu usage, definetly intel then (Q6600 is bit old but still very good + overclocks well if you want to)

From graphics card, I'd definetly choose GeForce 8800GTS/GTX, if you want something cheaper, 8500GT & 8600GT are good choices and are very cheap. Radeons' are simply just crap & overpriced these days. Don't use some integrated graphics card, your eyes won't like it.

from Motherboard's ASUS p5k-c is cheap and has DDR3 support, but personally I had little problems with the integrated soundcard of it & friend had problems with the integrated netcard of it, so I dno.

RAM doesn't really matter. I personally have OCZ 800mhz 2gb titanium pack and it's definetly worth it's money, easy to overclock if needed + has lifetime guarantee.

This would cost in Finland about 600€, think you can get it cheaper from germany..
    • Crozac
      Crozac
      Bronze
      Originally posted by opal99
      lol.. it's almost the best/the most costly MB from Gigabyte on the market.

What about Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H AM2+ RS780 PCIe mATX with integrated VGA card (ATI Radeon HD3200-based graphics (DX10))?
      I found it's probably the best onboard graphic card but what's your experience with these kinds? I've never had integrated one so I'm curious...

Is it possible to use it with other dual DVI card to enjoy 3 monitors? just example ;)
      The one I recommended is the cheapest one that has support for Phenom 9850. This GA-MA78GM-S2H does not have support for Phenom 9850, only 9750 and lower.

Those are Gigabyte MB's that have support for Phenom 9850

The SLI ones are recommended if you plan on putting nVidia graphic cards, the other two are for ATI CrossFire.

You can't use both integrated and PCI express graphic card. Only one of them, or if you have CrossFire (two same ATI graphic cards) or SLI (two same nVidia graphic cards) (and a MB that supports either of those two)then they can work together and you can hookup 2 monitors on each card
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      thank you ciRith for great explanation :)

Originally posted by degnic
      do you play some new 3d games, or just for poker?

If you don't play 3d games, and rather go with price than quality choose some AMD cpu. If you play 3d games or use programs with heavy cpu usage, definetly intel then (Q6600 is bit old but still very good + overclocks well if you want to)
      To be honest I don't have time to play any games so poker will be running 90%+ of the time & I somehow like AMD (from K6 times :D ) so chosen Phenom X4 is good choice for me.

This would cost in Finland about 600€, think you can get it cheaper from germany..
      I think so but first I need to find someone to bring it to me ;)

From graphics card, I'd definetly choose GeForce 8800GTS/GTX, if you want something cheaper, 8500GT & 8600GT are good choices and are very cheap. Radeons' are simply just crap & overpriced these days. Don't use some integrated graphics card, your eyes won't like it.
      oh, I'll believe you as I like the price of this one:
      ASUS GeForce EN8600GT 512MB HTDP Silent PCX

But it's DDR3 (I will use above mentioned CORSAIR DDR2) so wouldn't be there any problem/conflict/whatever about that? (I'm sorry for maybe stupid question but really need to be sure)
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      The one I recommended is the cheapest one that has support for Phenom 9850. This GA-MA78GM-S2H does not have support for Phenom 9850, only 9750 and lower.

Those are Gigabyte MB's that have support for Phenom 9850
      oh, I didn't realize that; thank you very much

You can't use both integrated and PCI express graphic card. Only one of them, or if you have CrossFire (two same ATI graphic cards) or SLI (two same nVidia graphic cards) (and a MB that supports either of those two)then they can work together and you can hookup 2 monitors on each card
      another thing I had no clue about :D
      so, let's say I'll buy two same cards (eg. ASUS GeForce EN8600GT 512MB HTDP Silent PCX) - do they have to support SLI / CrossFire too or it's all about MB support?
    • Crozac
      Crozac
      Bronze
      oh, I'll believe you as I like the price of this one:
      ASUS GeForce EN8600GT 512MB HTDP Silent PCX

But it's DDR3 (I will use above mentioned CORSAIR DDR2) so wouldn't be there any problem/conflict/whatever about that? (I'm sorry for maybe stupid question but really need to be sure)
      There will be no problem because od DDR3 memory on graphic card. It doesn't have any influence on motherboard and DDR 2 memory on it

another thing I had no clue about :D
      so, let's say I'll buy two same cards (eg. ASUS GeForce EN8600GT 512MB HTDP Silent PCX) - do they have to support SLI / CrossFire too or it's all about MB support?
      if you're buying that ASUS card it's nVidia so you need to buy one of those MB's that has support for SLI (SLI is nVidia's technology for 2 or more same graphic cards on one MB) while CrossFire is ATI's technology for 2 or more same graphic cards on one MB).

To put it simple: all GeForce cards are from nVidia and all Radeon cards are from ATI
    • degnic
      degnic
      Bronze
      Crozac is right.

Btw, you need only 1 card to have 2 monitors plugged because 8600GT (and pretty much all graphiccards these days) has a dual dvi port. If you're going to have 3 or more monitors plugged into same computer, then you need more than 1 graphic card..
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      if you're buying that ASUS card it's nVidia so you need to buy one of those MB's that has support for SLI (SLI is nVidia's technology for 2 or more same graphic cards on one MB) while CrossFire is ATI's technology for 2 or more same graphic cards on one MB).

To put it simple: all GeForce cards are from nVidia and all Radeon cards are from ATI
      :D
      yay; it was really simple indeed; I know I had some stupid questions but however it looks like, I understand some basic relations ;)

I said I didn't build any PC in last few years but it doesn't mean I don't know anything about hardware.. Thing is I don't know some "new" terms (SLI or CrossFire) because they didn't exist few years ago ;)

And I asked you something different: does it matter what graphic cards do I use (if they're the same) or do they have to support SLI (or CrossFire if I buy Radeon) somehow?
      If I got it, MB's support of SLI/CrossFire is enough.. correct?
    • Crozac
      Crozac
      Bronze
      Oh, sorry. I thought i answered it, but looks like i didn't. Its pretty late :D

Graphic cards have no need for support either SLI or CrossFire

It's all up to MB
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      thank you all for your great help :)

so, this is what I'd like to buy:

CPU: AMD Phenom X4 9850 Black Edition
      MB: GA-M57SLI-S4
      RAM: CORSAIR DDR2 2x2048MB 800 Mhz TWIN2X C5
      VGA: ASUS GeForce EN8600GT 512MB HTDP Silent PCX (2nd one in 08-09/2008)
      HDD: SAMSUNG 750GB SATA2 32MB - HD753LJ

alltogether it's for 530 euro buying it in local stores what is fair price :)

and btw: what kind of power supply would you recommend? I have bad experience with case & power supply all-in-one. Enermax are a bit above my budget so what do you think about Fortron 450W Saga 450P? (450W should be enough :) ) Or anything more silent?