Stevie8

• Stevie8
      Stevie8
      Bronze
      HI !
      I am 18 and I come from Romania. Discovered poker about 2 years ago and started to like it because of the combination of maths and psychology. As a beginner I started with a freeroll and earned my first 2.4 $. I was able to make a decent progress and reached up to 160 $, but unfortunately lost them afterwards on sportsbetting :(
      I came here because I'm seeking help. Despite having learned a lot about poker, I now struggle at low stakes and I wonder how could I have turned 2 $ into 160 $ having no knowledge, no experience and no explanation for my play :f_o: .
  • 13 replies
    • Stevie8
      Stevie8
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

I would like to earn some extra cash for personal necessities.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

Can't say for sure, but I can try to guess. I'm probably easy to bluff and I fail to meet mathematical standards which may affect my long term play.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

Basically playing tight aggressive means making a selection of hands preflop (playing only a few hands which are strong) and often bluffing on later streets if you don't hit anything and consider it is a good spot for it. Playing tight aggressive is the most profitable way of playing these days. Usually you don't like to face tight aggressive opponents and want to become one yourself.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

What about tilt? Do you adjust something against it? For example:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy the Course.
    • Stevie8
      Stevie8
      Bronze
      I don't have a problem with tilting. I used to tilt just like any beginner player, but now I now exactly when to stop to prevent unnecessary loses.
    • Stevie8
      Stevie8
      Bronze
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

First of all the BSS SHC only aims to give you a basic insight of the preflop play. In other words it's for the beginners. As you gain more experience, you will develop better skills and therefore you will play better. But the way you choose which hands to play preflop depends on many factors: how your opponents play(their type), yours stacksize(and their stacksizes also), etc. At a table with passive players or rocks for example you can play more hands, deviating from the SHC trying to steal their blinds when in proper position. On the other hand if there are LAG's at your table you should play even tighter.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

AA middle position

I used to play too loose preflop, but after working on my game I think I fixed that. But sometimes I still have this problem.

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

Equity: 46.32%
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Great to hear that you already have found a way how to fight against a tilt. It's huge problem for a lot of players, not only beginners but even advanced players. :)

You have very good points in your sentences and it's totally true. Whenever we feel being good enough by that time we will also loosen up our range. Start to adjust according the opponents and so on. From what we could start loosing up our range is from late position, when we have the position and power to do whatever we want. If we do great there we can start loosing up from other positions. Taking them step by step.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.
    • Stevie8
      Stevie8
      Bronze
      Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53?

preflop equity:

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    50.78%  50.40%   0.38% { KsQs }
      MP3    49.22%  48.84%   0.38% { 3d3c }

flop equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    26.46%  26.46%   0.00% { KsQs }
      MP3    73.54%  73.54%   0.00% { 3d3c }

as we can see, it went from a coinflip preflop to a situation in which we are far behind. Our only chances to improve are our flush draw outs and eventually a backdoor straight draw. But this only providing that our opponent doesn't complete a full house on later streets.

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?

No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

Before analysing our opponents I suggest taking a look at our odds.
      There are 0.91$ in the pot and we have to pay 0.22$ which gives us 4.13:1 pot odds. Our odds to hit the nut flush are about 4:1 so it looks like a profitable call. Considering that our opponent might still bet after we hit the nut flush(implied odds) that makes our call even more valuable. We can't consider any aces or jacks to help us on the river because there are so many draws on the board, so a top pair top kicker is not worth enough.
      Now we take a look at our opponent. He comes from the button where he probably has the widest range. He could easily be playing small suited connectors which also explains his check on the flop. He could also be playing a small pair which has improved into a set. Anyway, his raise on the turn definitely doesn't look like a bluff, but a strong hand (set or straight) which needs protection. According to the mathematics we could call here see if we improve. Otherwise we should fold.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

NL2 full house suckout
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress, keep going!
    • Stevie8
      Stevie8
      Bronze
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop.

77 from CO

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.

ATo NL5

Question 3: You are on the flop with KQ. The board cards are J, 9, 8, and your opponent holds 77. What is your equity in this spot?

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      MP3    58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

If you have interests you could try calculating the equity with a formula which you can use even on tables(either playing online or live poker):
      (Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity

About Question #3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you.
    • Stevie8
      Stevie8
      Bronze
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have based your decisions on the stats of your opponents.

AQ steal

KK multiway

Question 3: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (7-handed)

Stacks & Stats:
      UTG ($10)
      MP ($8)
      MP2 ($9)
      CO ($10)
      Hero($10)
      SB ($10) (17/13/2.6/24/1212) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      BB ($10) (27/9/2.0/29/333) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]

Preflop: Hero is BU with 6 , 7
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, SB calls $0.40, BB calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.20) 3 , 3 , T (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($1.20) J (3 players)
      SB bets $1.00, BB calls $1.00, Hero...

What action would you take, and why?

So we are up against a tight-aggressive player and a rather loose-passive one. SB's call preflop is interesting. He wouldn't play much hands from that position by just calling so he most probably holds a small pocket pair. BB's call seems to be routine for him as he gets good pot odds.
      SB decides to take the initiative on the turn. He is either trying to steal the pot after everyone showed weakness on the flop, or he has a medium made hand and tries to protect from another diamond. In this situation I think the best decision is to raise to about 3.5$ for the following reasons:
      -we are ahead almost always and can extract value at least from the calling station (BB)
      -we need to protect from a diamond on the river which would put our flush in jeopardy
      -after checking the flop SB might put us on a bluff and call

Question 4: Consider the following situation:

$10 NL Hold'em (8-handed)

Stacks & Stats
      UTG ($8)
      MP ($10)
      MP2 ($9)
      MP3 ($6)
      Hero ($10)
      BU ($10) (25/21/3.8/26/1250) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]
      SB ($10)
      BB ($10)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J , J
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, BU 3-bets to $1.30, 2 folds, Hero calls $1.30

Flop: ($2.75) 6 , 9 , T (2 players)
      Hero...

we find ourselves in a good spot here. our opponent might have QQ, KK or AA but the chance is very small. we are definitely above his range, considering the fact that he is also playing on the button. If HERO bets he might fold, but if HERO checks he will almost always place a c-bet. Therefore I believe the best line is check-raise and continue aggression on later streets if called and the board doesn't get too scary. If facing strong resistance a fold might be taken into consideration also.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #5 Done!

About Task #3
      It's a very close decision: does protection or pot control weigh heavier here? Do you want to protect against hands like 3x or A:dx and K:dx? Or do you want to control the pot size and try to induce a bluff on the river in case there is no T, no J and no additional ?

Raise/fold is out of question - with the given pot size and the good made hand you have, it can't even be considered.

In case you decide to go broke, you can't really be blamed either. It's not a sign of weakness that the rather tight small blind decides to bet into two people here, though. I would say a call is to be slightly favored, while the many outs against you are annoying. The big blind who calls rather loosely speaks in favor of a raise/broke again. Both options are finally considered equal, which shows - all things considered - how close and full of variance these spots really are.

About Task #4
      You've called pre-flop and then hit a good board. You basically have two choices now: either you assume that your opponent will go broke loosely or puts you on a bluff often and you thus check/raise - or you play check/call in the spirit of way ahead / way behind. The problem with the latter is that there are a lot of cards you don't want to see in the later course of the hand. All in all, it depends on your balancing as both lines make sense under certain circumstances.

A check/fold would be really pointless, of course. It's hard to say whether you should donk-bet here; donk/fold can be discarded as that would turn your hand into a pure bluff and your opponent would interpret this as weakness and start raising you out of flops with hands like AK/AQ/air. So, if you want to donk-bet, it has to be a donk/3-bet.

Good luck on tables and with the Course.
    • Stevie8
      Stevie8
      Bronze
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have either a) freeplay, b) slowplay, or c) multi-way pot situation.

AJ multiway SH

99 SH Cash game

Question 3: Consider the following situation:
      $25 NL Hold'em (10 handed)

Stacks & Stats
      UTG ($25)
      UTG+1 ($25) rock
      UTG+2 ($25)
      MP1 ($25)
      MP2 ($25) LAG
      MP3 ($25) maniac
      CO ($25)
      Hero BU ($25)
      SB ($25)
      BB ($25) calling station

Preflop: Hero is BU with Q , J
      5 folds, MP3 raises $1.00, CO calls $1.00, Hero calls $1.00, 1 fold, BB calls $1.00

Flop: ($4.10) 3 , J , A (4 players)
      BB checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($4.10) Q (4 players)
      BB bets $2.05, 2 folds, Hero...?

So we limp with a speculative hand hoping for a flush/straight draw, or why not a combo draw. The flop brings a middle pair, but which is rather weak against 3 opponents. We hit 2 pair on the turn after everyone agreed for a free card. The question is (and also our only concern) why would the calling station donkbet the turn against 3 opponents? This is for sure not a characteristic play for a player like him. But being a strange move has an advantage for us: we can put him on a small range. The Q :club: also brings some draws but we are almost 100% sure he's not holding a draw as he would check-call in this case. He definitely has a strong hand, but the question is "can we beat it" ? we are behind hands like AQ, AJ, 33, A3, JJ or KT, and ahead hands like J3 and Q3. If we were sure he was this kind of player(calling station), we could almost be sure this was range at that moment.
      Against this range we are behind and should make a frustrating laydown. We have 0 fold equity on the river if we try to bluff, but we also have serious reasons to consider we are already behind.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good Job! Homework #6 Done!

About Question #3:
      Two lines can quickly be discarded here: fold and raise/fold; your hand is simply too strong for those alternatives.

It's hard to assess whether you should put in a raise here. When a rather passive player decides to bet into three players while being out of position, it does look strong. It's more likely an indication of a made hand than that of a draw.

A raise naturally protects, but you run the risk of isolating yourself against very strong range. Which weaker hands could your opponent possibly continue playing here?

The deciding factor finally comes in the size of the pot. This tiny pot simply isn't worth putting yourself into a tough spot where you could potentially end up risking your entire stack. A raise would be overplayed here and pot control takes the precedent over protection.

Best of Luck on the tables and with the Course.