This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL4 FR Value bet with the 3rd best possible hand?

• Phoenix2104
      Phoenix2104
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Known players:
      UTG2:
      $9.05
      MP1:
      $5.39
      MP2:
      $1.44
      MP3:
      $9.93
      CO:
      $4.00
      BU:
      $4.31
      SB:
      $4.00
      BB (Hero):
      $0.94
      UTG1:
      $8.81

Preflop: Hero is BB with T, K.
      4 folds, MP3 calls $0.04, 2 folds, SB calls $0.02, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.12) 9, T, 9 (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.08, MP3 calls $0.08, SB folds.

I thought it was much more probable for my opponents to have overcards or a flush or straight draw than to have a 9 so I bet here for protection.

Turn: ($0.28) 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.16, MP3 calls $0.16.

I found it even less probable for my opponent to have a 9 now and I needn't worry about AT anymore, so I bet again to make him fold two overcards and perhaps to gain some value from a smaller pocket pair. Of course he couldn't have had TT+ because he would have raised pre-flop.

River: ($0.6) J (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.28,

Being almost certain that I had the best hand, I bet again in an attempt to maybe make him fold a Ten as it would have been much more probable for me to have a 9 (being in the BB), or perhaps get some value from a smaller pocket pair. Worst thing that could happen was to split the pot after all, I thought.

Results follow:

MP3 calls $0.28.

Final Pot: $1.16.

Hero shows a full-house, nines full of tens(Ts Kd).

MP3 shows a full-house, nines full of jacks(Jd Tc).

MP3 wins with a full-house, nines full of jacks(Jd Tc).

So, my questions are:
      1. Was the river bet too risky?
      2. Should I have been afraid of a possible 9 and just check/call all along?
      Thanks.
  • 1 reply
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hi,

I would be very uncomfortable check/x the River so I think the betting is fine there for thin value

To answer your other question about him having possible quads; I would never be playing passive right here unless he raises you which puts you in tough spots but it is hard to get away from as a MSS

Generally it is a mistake to get away with our stacks on your limits as people do random things

- Gerv