[NL20-NL50] NL25 FR: TT as overpair

• timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)
      UTG+2:
      $5.71
      MP1:
      $25
      CO:
      $39.46
      BB:
      $28.47
      Hero:
      $25.15
      MP3:
      $25
      BU:
      $5.51
      SB:
      $13.40
      MP2:
      $24.75

0.10/0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T:club: , T:heart:
      Hero calls $0.25, UTG+2 folds, MP1 raises to $1.25, 6 folds, Hero calls $1.00.

Flop: ($2.85) 3:diamond: , 8:diamond: , 9:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $2, MP1 raises to $6.00, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $10.85
  • 6 replies
    • ratex
      ratex
      Bronze
      Any stats about MP1??

He might have hit his set. I think it's a good fold.
      But without stats it's hard.
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Against a regular with solid stats, NH.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I would open raise pf.
      Flop is fine.
    • HoLs
      HoLs
      Bronze
      Thats the problem of limping in with 88-TT on early positions. If you get raised, you dont know if you're facing AA-88 or any other type of hand like AK-AJs, KQs.

The flop comes you bet and get reraised and you don't know where you're at specially on that board. He could easily have AK-AJ, KQ of diamonds and reraise you for his outs and free river in case you call flop and check the turn. Or he could simply be value betting his overpair or even set of 8s or 9s.

The situation ain't good so your fold is correct in my opinion. I don't play much full ring but with those hands I generally raise or in some tables fold in early position. I dont like limping for set value with those hands since you'll flop an overpair every now and then and have to play it out of position against a raiser. In your case, the flop had some draws and he reraised you giving you an easy fold.

But what if the flop comes 963 rainbow? You donk bet the flop and he flat calls it? Turn comes and you're situation will hardly improve. He could either be trapping you or floating for some overcards. You can get into though spots and lose alot of money while not wining much when you donk bet the flop. He will fold overcards most of the time, float flop rarely and fold turn if unimproved. Its unlickely that he'll be raising pre flop with some A9s with an early limper one of the few hands that you're ahead and can get payed.

So, in my opinion that makes 88-TT limping in early positions a -EV situation but I'm no expert full ring :)
    • finchybg
      finchybg
      Bronze
      Because of such hands, I've written on a sheet of paper in front of my monitor "Don't get involved with 77-1010"

If overpair, I make a bet on flop, and then go for pot control - if not possible like in this case I fold.

Well played IMO.
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      Even FR, if I was going to play TT, which I would, I would open raise with it. Don't do it unless you feel comfortable with doing that.