This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL5 SH, BB vs SB opencomplete

• DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Poker Stars $5.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

Hero (BB): $6.21
      UTG: $32.52
      MP: $12.96
      CO: $4.00
      BTN: $16.49
      SB: $4.34

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero is BB with 8 :club: T :spade:
      4 folds, SB calls $0.03, Hero raises to $0.20, SB calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.40) 9 :spade: 6 :diamond: 5 :heart: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.30, SB calls $0.30

Turn: ($1.00) K :heart: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

River: ($1.00) J :heart: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.72, Hero raises to $1.85, SB folds

Villain is 35/16 on 51 hands. 50% fold to cbet.

My standard play is to second barrel the K scarecard on turn. Here I tried something different. I don't feel he opencomplete/calls so many Kx, the draws didn't hit so when he tries to take the pot down on the river (or valuebets a lower pair) I can just raise him off it.

Would be interested in some thoughts on this line. I guess someone who was thinking about my range could call me, but then again, when does a thinking player take this line?
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Based on his limp and stack size he is a weak opponent, possibly a fishy player.

I like this line when we know he is:
      A) somewhat aggressive and likes to steal pots
      B) not a huge calling station (some fish will call you here with a 9x or other small pairs)

Alternatively, as you said, you can double and even sometime tripple barrel him off a similar range.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Thanks, I have problems knowing when to fire the 3rd barrel. I think I get scared he picked up a weird two-pair or something and will just call me down. Any hints?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello DaPhunk,

Easy and simple rule, don't try to overplay fishy players unless you have decent equity yourself or a made hand.

What we could play differently here is that we could easily CB just 1/2 pot size on the flop, no need to make it any bigger. If the guy calls you then he is willing to Call you anyways vs whatever bet.

Best Regards.