2013: Year of the PLOwnage... Back to NL

• holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      Hey ppl,

Figured I'd give blogging another shot after two drastically failed attempts. About me: I'm a 24 and currently making a living out of sports trading on betfair.

My poker career so far seems to be a never ending cycle of getting from nl2 to the point of taking nl25 shots when I stop, not play for a few months and start back at nl2 again. Ideally I'd like to make poker a profitable hobby so basically want to hit nl100ish and going along with the title also use it as an excuse to travel so plan on heading to some epts or those unibet open, chilipoker deepstack open etc. type tournaments and play some cash or small side event(s). I'd like to be halfway decent by the time that comes around tho so not just spewing money!

Started last week when deposited £100 (~$150-160) and decided to play a few k hands at nl2/nl4 to get back into it and get bankroll back up to 20bi for nl10...

So giraffes:

nl2:

Bit disappointed with this. Missed a lot of value and made a few spewy allins so defo could be at least 5/6 buy ins higher... But only getting back into it so expected to make some mistakes learnt from them though which is the main thing.

nl4:

Plays the same as NL2 so didn't see much point in wasting any more time here...

nl10:

[] volume
      [x] rungood

Red line tanks at the end because was on the phone :facepalm:

BR ~$240

Don't want to make a load of ambitious goals that i'll never make so some (hopefully) easily achievable ones between now and end of month:

[] Gold status
      [] 20k hands
      [] Attend 2 coachings
      [] Read 5 articles
      [] Watch 5 videos

Long term:
      [] NL100+
      [] Head to an ept. London would be cheating so Deauville?

Think that's everything, I'll try play 500 hands or so later tonight and update. Good luck!
  • 97 replies
    • fruktpuff
      fruktpuff
      Bronze
      Welcome back to blogging.

Oooh and EPT! Nice solid goal!

Are you playing FR or SH?

Also, you're playing cashgames to make enough money to play a large live tournament.. shouldn't it be better practice to earn the money to pay the buyin with playing online tournaments?

ANyway, will be following with interest!

And, nice start!

Regards,
      Richard
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      Hey

I'm playing sh. Don't think I've played fr since my sss days on everest 2/3 years ago!

Don't plan on playing the main event lol. That's waaaaaay to big a buyin! More looking to go for the experience and an excuse to travel. I'll play some cash games while I'm out there. Figure there'll be a good few tables running during such a big event. And might play some of the smaller side events ~£200 bi too.

No poker tonight so Ms Salpa instead:

• holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      Played about 500 hands so far today. Didn't run too well but can't complain after the last few hundred hands.

Couple of the more interesting hands from the session:

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.10(BB) Replayer
      SB ($8.41)
      BB ($10)
      UTG ($4.21)
      Hero ($12.92)
      BTN ($2.57)

Dealt to Hero J:club: J:spade:

UTG calls $0.10, Hero raises to $0.40, fold, SB calls $0.35, fold, fold

FLOP ($1) A:club: 4:club: T:club:

SB checks, Hero bets $0.60, SB raises to $1.50, Hero raises to $4.40,
      SB folds

Villain was a 53/21 fish. When he raises the flop here he almost never has it. Especially since I've been super aggro and barreling a lot so imo the strongest hand he can have here is Ax/Tx looking to protect. Plus fish like to slowplay the nuts. One thing I'm not sure about is my size...

SB ($15.19)
      Hero ($10.09)
      UTG ($12.91)
      CO ($4.35)
      BTN ($9.74)

Dealt to Hero Q:diamond: K:club:

fold, CO calls $0.10, fold, SB raises to $0.20, Hero raises to $0.60, fold, SB calls $0.40

FLOP ($1.30) 3:diamond: 8:heart: 5:diamond:

SB checks, Hero bets $0.80, SB calls $0.80

TURN ($2.90) 3:diamond: 8:heart: 5:diamond: 9:club:

SB checks, Hero bets $1.70, SB calls $1.70

RIVER ($6.30) 3:diamond: 8:heart: 5:diamond: 9:club: 2:heart:

SB checks, Hero bets $3.60,

SB folds

Biggest losing hands:

Hero ($12.93)
      BB ($9.37)
      UTG ($9.18)
      CO ($8.32)
      BTN ($3.33)

Dealt to Hero A:spade: A:club:

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.30, BB raises to $1, Hero raises to $3.50, BB calls $2.50

FLOP ($7) 9:spade: 9:diamond: Q:heart:

Hero bets $7, BB calls $5.87 (AI)

TURN ($18.74) 9:spade: 9:diamond: Q:heart: 5:heart:

RIVER ($18.74) 9:spade: 9:diamond: Q:heart: 5:heart: 6:diamond:

Hero shows A:spade: A:club:
      (Pre 83%, Flop 8.7%, Turn 4.5%)

BB shows Q:spade: Q:club:
      (Pre 17%, Flop 91.3%, Turn 95.5%)

Don't like my sizing maybe ~$2.50 would be better?

SB ($3.04)
      BB ($10.47)
      UTG ($10.14)
      UTG+1 ($9.80)
      Hero ($11.06)
      BTN ($5.43)

Dealt to Hero Q:club: A:club:

fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.30, BTN calls $0.30, fold, fold

FLOP ($0.75) A:heart: 9:diamond: 3:diamond:

Hero bets $0.50, BTN raises to $1.50, Hero raises to $6, BTN calls $3.63 (AI)

TURN ($11.01) A:heart: 9:diamond: 3:diamond: 6:diamond:

RIVER ($11.01) A:heart: 9:diamond: 3:diamond: 6:diamond: J:club:

BTN shows 6:club: 9:club:
      (Pre 33%, Flop 18.4%, Turn 81.8%)

Hero shows Q:club: A:club:
      (Pre 67%, Flop 81.6%, Turn 18.2%)

Don't think I could do much different. Got it in good so happy.

Plus another carbon copy of the one above.

Any comments?

• TiciBoy
      TiciBoy
      Bronze
      hey,

you said you use HEM1 + HMP on PKR. Do you still have installation files for HMP? The dl link in the thread seems to be down.

Thanks. :)

And GL with your poker adventures. ;)
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      Yep still have it I'll message you my skype
    • gxtwo
      gxtwo
      Bronze
      seen you posted in my blog a few days ago so came to have a look at yours

Got to NL10 fast enough, is that like less than 7khands? :s_cool:

What site(s) are you playing on?

seen you make a living from sports trading? ive never heard of it, how does it work? is it hard to learn?

GL at the tables! :s_thumbsup:
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gxtwo
      seen you posted in my blog a few days ago so came to have a look at yours

Got to NL10 fast enough, is that like less than 7khands? :s_cool:

What site(s) are you playing on?

seen you make a living from sports trading? ive never heard of it, how does it work? is it hard to learn?

GL at the tables! :s_thumbsup:
      Hey! Been a while since someones posted in here lol. To be fair donked around nl2/4 for ~1.5years so know how to beat those games comfortably lol.

Moving between nl10/20 atm mostly ongame and a tiny bit on stars because not tracked on ongame. Will probably move WPT/Europoker soon to get gold status back...

NL20 starts at ~3.5-4k hand mark, up about 1.5bi but running like shit. The 4bi hit at the end was all against the same guy lol:

A3cc v J9o allin on AJ9cc flop
      KTo v K2s allin on Kxxr flop 2 on Turn
      And two hands where fired three barrels w/tp for villain to hit gutshot on river

Ran like God on nl10(as you can see) so can't complain, its just variance! Play was +ev in the long run against this guy. Confident my A game can beat nl20 comfortably but been playing mostly B/C game so far...

Sports trading is easy once you get the hang of it, you can do it on nearly anything. Atm trading mostly on greyhounds and horses, but will do the odd football match if there's any value and bigger tennis tournaments. Just back high and lay low.

Any question lmk and can elaborate further!
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      For those that have read this you'll know I trade ft on betfair. And there's a trading seminar on later tonight thought some ppl might be interested. It's free obv.

Never dealt with the lad running it so no idea if he's any good but he's been doing coachings for pre race horse trading for a few years so must be doing something right, anyway here's the link:

Apologies if this breaks any rules - mods feel free to delete if it does and i'll edit out the title.

edited out link - seminar is finished. I'll keep updated for any future ones!
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      Soooo reading of all the challenges from people like shevtshenko, Pleno etc thought I'd jump on the bandwagon with one of my own. I signed up for PT4 trail the other day so going to try play 100k hands before the trail expires.

Why am I doing this?
      1. Have a reload bonus to clear on Betfair.

2. Want to (finally) cash in the raked hands race next month. It's happening again right?

3. Bored of going through the same nl2-5-10-20 and back to nl2-5 etc cycle and hoping this will give me the push to break out of it and finally get to nl30/50.

100k might not seem like a lot but considering I only play 4-6 tables, have a fulltime job (not 9-5 but still takes up a good bit of time), and a gf think it's going to be tough.

6 tabling I can get in ~400h/hr. So ~ 9h/day should be enough. During the last week I'll allow myself to go up to 8tables because I'll probably miss a few days here and there.

I'm going to start at nl10 and post updates everyday with graphs, hands etc.

To go:
      Days - 28
      Hands - 100,000
    • MasochisticDesire
      MasochisticDesire
      Bronze
      Volume challenge FTW.
      Good luck mate.

Always been entertained by the idea but tbh would prob go broke before hitting the volume :f_biggrin:

I'd be interested to sit in on one of your sessions sometime, skype me anytime im 'online.'

CRUSH DEM FOOLS!

MD
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      Played ~2.5k hands today. Didn't go so well unfortunately... Mix of running horribly/playing bad all day but somehow managed to be breakeven until the last <100 hands when dropped 5bi versus an 88/12 fish which pretty much sums up the session:

89<AJo allin on Q89r flop
      AA<96o allin pre
      AK<Q8o allin pre
      KQ<65dd allin on KKTdd flop
      J9 < 92s allin on J72r flop

Might play nl4 tomorrow to get confidence back up - motivation is pretty low after that ending. I'll see how I feel in the morning sure.

Cba to post graph, will post some in the future.

To go:
      Days - 27
      Hands - 97336
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MasochisticDesire
      Volume challenge FTW.
      Good luck mate.

Always been entertained by the idea but tbh would prob go broke before hitting the volume :f_biggrin:

I'd be interested to sit in on one of your sessions sometime, skype me anytime im 'online.'

CRUSH DEM FOOLS!

MD
      Cheers mate. It's a bank holiday here so I'll be out next few nights but should be around most of next week so can arrange a sweat if your online.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      i think this will be tough. you said 9h/day?
      you also know that continuing will get very hard sometimes right? :P

i am willing to throw in a small propbet that you can't make it, you might as well also get extra motivation from trying to prove me wrong :f_biggrin:
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tomaloc
      i think this will be tough. you said 9h/day?
      you also know that continuing will get very hard sometimes right? :P

i am willing to throw in a small propbet that you can't make it, you might as well also get extra motivation from trying to prove me wrong :f_biggrin:
      Lol yep. That's why I'll probably drop down a lot when motivation gets low...

How much are you willing to lay? I'll give 1:1 sure, happy to get some extra motivation!
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      This sounds hard to me, but I am sure you're up for being tough enough to take Tomaloc's bet from him! :D

Quite a challenge, good luck but make sure it stays fun yes?

Mal.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      conditions look fine :f_biggrin:

$10-$25, you choose
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      Go for $20? Want to be playing nl20 again ft next weekend so might as well make it 1bi!

Stupidly hungover so no updates :f_frown:

Probably heading out again tonight, I'll try get in a few hours but it might be tomorrow before I start playing again! Already off to a great start lol
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Subbed
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by holmeboy
      Go for $20? Want to be playing nl20 again ft next weekend so might as well make it 1bi!
      deal

GO