What should i play?

• NewKid354
      Hi all,

Firstly apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

I have just started playing poker again after taking a break whilst studying at university. I was never good before and haven't a huge amount of experience. However, I am keen to learn and want to become a better player.

Currently I play micros as my bankroll is pretty minimal. At the moment I am playing MTT on Pokerstars, buy ins $0.55, $1 or $2. The $2 is out of the recommended bankroll management level I know.

I have done ok since restarting, making the last 50 twice in tournaments with over 2000 entrants. However, I want to improve my consistency and hopefully develop a stack where I can go on and make a final table. I know that there is going to be variance and that I cant cash/win every tournament.

I am looking for tips on what games to play (prefer tournaments) and also how to improve and also build a bankroll.

Originally I started playing for fun but I have a huge competitive streak and don't want to play anything not to my best. Have read the articles on the site and on other forums and also 'Small stakes hold 'em' by malmuth and sklansky.

Apologies for the length of this and also the seeming ramble. I am basically looking for advice.

Thanks for all responses.
  • 4 replies
    • TinoLaan
      The $2 is out of the recommended bankroll management level I know.
      It's all about average buy-ins (ABI). As long as your ABI is within your bankroll, you should be perfectly fine :)

If you want to play MTTs, a good way to start building your BR is to play the 180 man tournaments. There are some pretty good videos on taking on these tournaments as well in the video section: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/#searchtext=180man&key=all&contenttype=0&gametype=8&tablesize=0&languages=en&levels=basic,bronze,silver,gold,platinum,diamond&lowerlimit=0&upperlimit=100&ob=date&od=desc&page=1&rpp=10

Those videos are quite good, though you need to be Silver in order to watch the second and third part. If you can make your way up to silver though, those videos are great :)

Good luck at the tables :)
    • StrategyLofthouse
      There are a few poker rooms that you can register with via pokerstrategy that have regular freerolls. they can only be played by players who register with the link so they are restricted.
      These are great tournaments to start off with.
      and there is a chance of winning a few dollars
    • FarligeJohn
      If your preferred game is MTT tuornaments, your stradegy should vary throughout the game, here I would recommend Harrington on hold 'em vol. I and II. I play the conservative-aggressive style and it has worked very well for me. Your beginning stradegy should be only to play the monsters, and rarely try to bluff because there's always someone who is willing to call you down to the river. in the middle stages you should loosen up as your opponents tighten their game. The general rule is to keep playing the opposite style of you opponent. Hope this helps, otherwise you can always contact me with questions regarding MTT tuornament, as they are my favourite games too :)

Victor Valentin
    • ExternalUseOnly
      Hey there,

What are you/What did you study at Uni?

Good advice so far in this thread. Another way to improve is just volume volume and more volume, it can be hard sometimes with big mtts to build a decent sample but the more you play the more you will get a feel for the different stages of the tournaments.

Also have you had a look at the tournament strategy boards? Here you can ask questions to regular MTT players and coaches as well as post hands for evaluation to help you spot any leaks, click here to find out more

Of course also there is the articles videos, and live coachings for you to get involved with too.

Come back and let us know when you ship something :)