NL SH Gold by benjo

• benjo
      benjo
      Black
      Hi there and welcome to my first coaching review.
      First of all sorry for not being there last week but we had big storm over here which killed my internet for almost a week.

So lets take a look at some hands of todays session..

http://www.pokerhand.org/?2716197

Here we are headsup on the flop against a fishy guy. He had an vpip of about 80 at this point. On the flop i made a rather questionable play given our oponent. We could easily just muck and wait for better spots to get paid of. Anyways... at this point villain already flatcalled like 3 or 4 continuation bets. So what does his minraise mean here.

a) hes got a monster (Overpair,J,77)

b) absolutely nothing.

We know he likes to see flops so hes calling us pre with a very wide range. Obviously not to many hands hit this board. On the other hand villain doenst like to fold to cbets. Therefore i hardly considered him doing this minraise with air since he cant really flatcall lots of hands here. His range is very polarized between monsters and air. So i went ahead and shoved, still having 6 outs against medium pairs (7s,88+) and a backdoor flushdraw against a trips not leaving me almost drawing dead against trips.
      I have to admit that i undererstimated his stacksize a bit and obviously the result does not approve my theory still i think its an ok play.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?2716239

In this hand we perform a heavy suckout on our opponent. Still i think my line here is perfectly fine. Villain played like 35/18 with an AF of ~3. Plus he succesfully floated me 2 times. Obviously in this spot he had a set and we got incredibly lucky but his range is far bigger here. He will probably play it the same with 66-99, any Ten and flushdraws.

Unfortunately this time i wound up loosing $140 but im looking forward to the next session :)
  • 16 replies
    • mintogo
      mintogo
      Bronze
      I think with ur session u made someone quit poker. (The player in the last hand)
    • benjo
      benjo
      Black
      NL SH Friday, June 13

We had a decent little session here , playing 4tables of $1/$2 on Stars.
      Unfortunately i had some problems with importing the HHs but at least it saved some of the intresting hands.

Hand #1:
      In this hand we pick up K :club: J :club: on the button which is a standard raise first in. A decent flop for us: 2nd nutflushdraw + overcards, so we do our standard continuation bet.
      The player in the BB checkraises us. Hes a tagish player. His raising size is kinda small here. In a heads up pot this could easily be a standard move against our cbet. 3handed i feel like he is way more likely to have a real hand. However the board doesnt really help to many hands in his range:
      A4s, 45s, 43s, 77, 44, small overpairs or a draw. Anyways given his small checkraise and our good odds i decided just to call in position and see a turn. Turncard is kinda intresting, it helps us in case we are up against overpairs on the flop oder the nutflushdraw. Villain bets close to pot here, obviously commiting himself. At this point i have to admit that i really thought he is on a draw. Good thing about it: Even if my read is wrong i still have 11 Outs (9clubs +2kings) and im a hitbox,so i suckout against his 43s.

Hand #2:
      Here we open 8 :heart: 8 :spade: utg and get called from the button. Flop comes down A :club: 6 :heart: T :spade: . Unless people know we are able of raising every pp and suited connecters from utg plus they are planing on playing back at us this board is very good for a continuation bet. Its A hi,which we are perfectly representing and its dry, so there are simply few hands connecting with this board.
      Unfortunately we got called ,but we hit our 2 outer on the turn. Given our thoughtprocess, villains most likely hand in this spot is probably an ace,sometimes a Ten sometimes air. So i just continue to bet. Rivercard is another ace which is pretty intresting. I opted to checkraise here because as i said its very likely for my opponent to have an ace here plus most random nl200 ppl will feel commited to bet their trips for value here if checked to them. However if i keep betting i will never get raised by an A2, because it aint more then a bluffcatcher here.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      wtf do you think villain laid down in hand 2? i'm really confused about his play :o. if he put us on a boat here, very nice read sir.
    • benjo
      benjo
      Black
      no, he snapfolded,so he did not have an ace. im pretty sure about that. probably a ten or he continued to float because if we continue to bet on the turn we are representing a very narrow range.

i havent seen anything else from him in this session. so cant really tell how likely it is, but i think there is around 0 chance he had an ace given the speed he folded ;)
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      Originally posted by benjo
      no, he snapfolded,so he did not have an ace. im pretty sure about that. probably a ten or he continued to float because if we continue to bet on the turn we are representing a very narrow range.

i havent seen anything else from him in this session. so cant really tell how likely it is, but i think there is around 0 chance he had an ace given the speed he folded ;)
      nah, i'm pretty sure a ten would check behind river. he doublefloated you :o, sick!
    • benjo
      benjo
      Black
      NL SH June, 26

This wasnt really an exciting session since i just did not get involved in to many spots. I wound up winning 1,5 stacks or so. (unfortunately my pt(2) refused to work correctly with stars so i just have a few handhistories :( )

However here is one of the more intresting hands:
      http://www.pokerhand.org/?2811196
      I open ATs first to act 5handed which should be pretty standard. HU to the flop. Board texture is pretty good for a cbet cause the board is very very dry. However villain could think the same and decide to float me here with pure air or just call cause he picked up a weak mid-, bottompair or picked up 2nd pair to the board with a low pp. Turncard gives us a nice combo draw and i decide to bet again in order to get him to fold air and low pairs.
      Unfortunately we are getting instant minraised. At this point im pretty sure villain has got a big hand or at least a hand he wants to go with. Therefore a shove isnt a good idea since i dont give myself to much foldequity. On the other hand im simply getting a bit more then 4-1 on my call which is pretty much enough in order to draw to my nutflush and wheel.
      Rivercard gives me a pair of tens but its pretty much a blank so i fold.

Anyways,there wont be any coaching by my part for the next 2 weeks since i have to go to the netherlands as a part of my "civilian service" -_-"
      cu later guys
    • atuerke
      atuerke
      Bronze
      July 4th

Just finished benjo's Gold Coaching :)
      I've been playing 4 tables of NL100 and I was totally carddead and never got action on my strong hands. Still you saw me taking down alot of small pots by being very aggressive.
      I tried to focus on using my "tighter" image being carddead for most of the session to steal as many blinds as I could manage.

Still I lost ~3 stacks, but there is nothing you can do, when people always outdraw you:

http://www.pokerhand.org/?2844123

I 3bet the flop immediatly as it is a very drawheavy board. On the Turn only T8 is complete now, so I decide to get it in there and he sucks out on me :(
    • benjo
      benjo
      Black
      NL SH July 17th
      Sup, everyone. Im finally back in good old germany after my "vacation" in the netherlands. Plus im finally finished with my "civilian service" and therefore free. ship it.
      Yesterday i started with a pretty decent session on Nl200 FTP.

Here are some of the session highlights.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?2910535

This was a very fortunate flip. However its a bit intresting since i had some history with this guy. He constantly reraised my cut-off opens from the button. In this hand he reraises me once again. I look down at my AKo and decide to 4bet smallish with the intention of getting it in. The good thing here is that it looked a lot like i was very frustraded and sort of desperate regarding villains reraises. I know in the end its just been a flip but villain instand shoved his 99 on my 4bet which shows me that he gave me absolute no credit for my 4 bet. Plus I think there was a good chance that he shoves weaker stuff like AXs my KQs etc...

http://www.pokerhand.org/?2910554

Another intresting hand. Here we are getting checkraised by a rather active villain. Given the speed and the amount he checkraised i really didnt "feel" it. I mean the board is very drawheavy and strong hands should usually raise more then 3x. Draws usually do it aswell because they wanna create foldequity. So i decided to call the flop with the intention of taking it away on the turn with a bet. However villain unfortunately decides to follow through on the turn. Anyways given my thoughts from the flop i decided its very unlikely he got lots of hands in his range he can continue with. Basically only the flush and a set. Both in my oppionion very unlikely. So i went ahead and raised. I basically commited half of my remaining stack but without a club i was still going to fold to a shove. Espacially cause i would be dead against the range of hands he can continue with (in my oppionion)

http://www.pokerhand.org/?2910551

Another very funny hand. I got a freeplay with a rather crappy hand. Flopping 2nd nuts however pretty much solves... The UTG limper minraises my flop bet. I kinda thought it would be likely he was slowplaying a bigpair or might have hit something like a set or a two pair. Since i obviously want to get all my money in i decided to reraise him right away on the flop.
      Funny thing, i think the first thing i said when i got minraised on the flop was "im gonna reraise cause i think he got aces" ;) As you can see he had it :>

So thats it, cu next week
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Deem all the good players is gone to the Fulltilt :D
      Second hand is interesting: 1-st and third one are standards.
      You both are 150BB deep. My first thought would be check behind on that flop, give up turn ui, but then on the other way your move is more effective.
    • benjo
      benjo
      Black
      NL SH August 22nd

Yea another session done. This time i broke about even. Im still running bad in my coaching sessions which is a bit frustrating. Anyways heres an intresting hand

http://www.pokerhand.org/?3081196

Villain running @ 48/16/0.6 on a small sample. River aggro inf however.
      Everything pretty standard to the turn. I continue to bet because the ace doesnt really hit him unless he made aces up. Hes more likely to have some sort of draw. Im pretty sure that hes gonna chase his draws, so i wanna charge him and continue to bet. River blanks and all of a sudden he leads out. I expected him to raise a strong hand on a previous street. Im pretty confident with my call here even though he showed up with 1 of the 3 possible hands making sense ( aces up / 5s full of aces). Most of the time itll be some sort of busted draw.
    • benjo
      benjo
      Black
      Octobre 16th

played 4 tables of nl200 sh on ftp. here are some intresting hands.

1)
      Party Poker, $1/$2 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
      LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

CO: $210
      BTN: $243.95
      SB: $220.20
      Hero (BB): $657.10
      UTG: $224.30

Pre-Flop: 2:club: 2:diamond: dealt to Hero (BB)
      3 folds, SB calls $1, Hero raises to $8, SB calls $6

Flop: ($16) 2:heart: 5:club: 4:spade: (2 Players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $11, SB calls $11

Turn: ($38) 6:heart: (2 Players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $24, SB calls $24

River: ($86) T:heart: (2 Players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

Results: $86 Pot ($3 Rake)
      SB showed and LOST (-$43 NET)
      Hero showed 2:club: 2:diamond: and WON $83 (+$40 NET)

villain showed up with AA. the question here is whether to bet bet the river or not. i chose not to because i just done see lots of worse hands paying of. its obviously unreasonable to put big pairs in villains range given how he played the hand. so the only worse hands paying off are basically 2pair hands. additionally we really dont want to get check raised here cause its not impossible that villain has a 3 in his hand. but yeah we had some discussion going on about this hand so feel free to comment

2)

CO: $215.95
      BTN: $223.60
      SB: $196.65
      Hero (BB): $525.45
      UTG: $544.05

Pre-Flop: 3:spade: K:spade: dealt to Hero (BB)
      3 folds, SB calls $1, Hero checks

Flop: ($4) 5:diamond: 9:spade: 6:spade: (2 Players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $3, SB calls $3

Turn: ($10) 2:spade: (2 Players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $7, SB calls $7

River: ($24) J:club: (2 Players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $17, SB raises to $44, Hero raises to $513.45 and is All-In, SB calls $140.65 and is All-In

Results: $393.30 Pot
      SB showed J:spade: 5:spade: and LOST (-$196.65 NET)
      Hero showed 3:spade: K:spade: and WON $719.10 (+$522.45 NET)

obviously its an option to raise pre against a weak open limp in the sb. i think i already marked the c/f button. flop is pretty standard. you always wanna bet here when sb open limps and checks. we turn the second nuts and obv. bet 4 value. on the river we get check raised. it would be a big mistake to not shove here. villains open limping range is pretty wide and pretty much includes all sort of suited stuff. plus its likely that he would raise pre with a suited ace.

3)
      Party Poker, $1/$2 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players

BB: $200
      UTG: $652.65
      MP: $658.50
      CO: $238
      Hero (BTN): $398.05
      SB: $449

Pre-Flop: K:diamond: K:spade: dealt to Hero (BTN)
      UTG raises to $6, MP calls $6, CO folds, Hero raises to $24, SB folds, BB calls $22, UTG calls $18, MP calls $18

Flop: ($97) 4:heart: 3:heart: 4:club: (4 Players)
      BB bets $34, UTG folds, MP calls $34, Hero raises to $374.05 and is All-In, BB calls $142 and is All-In, MP calls $340.05

Turn: ($1,021.10) A:club: (3 Players - 1 is All-In)

River: ($1,021.10) 2:club: (3 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: $1,021.10 Pot ($3 Rake)
      BB showed Q:club: Q:diamond: and LOST (-$200 NET)
      MP showed 3:club: 3:spade: and WON $1,018.10 (+$620.05 NET)
      Hero showed K:diamond: K:spade: and LOST (-$398.05 NET)

preflop pretty standard. bbs coldcall looks a bit weird here. yes sometimes hell have aces but most of the time he will have a smaller pair like 99-QQ. MP coldcalls twice here. plus hes just 100bb deep anyways. MP covers us,still the only possible holding beating us here is pretty much 33. sometimes maybe A4s or 54s,however he would probably raise the flop with a 4.he could also have smaller pairs and draws. due to the small donkbet he might decide to make a lose call. so would to do here?
      well we obviously wanna raise to get it in against BB and we also wanna protect against MP. if we raise we are commited anyways, so we shove.
      needles to say that mp shows up with the only reasonable holding beating us ;)
    • benjo
      benjo
      Black
      Octobre 23rd

had a nice session on nl200 sh @ ftp. in the end i won ~$380

here are the most intresting and important hands.

1)

Hero (BTN): $452
      SB: $80.70
      BB: $576.10
      UTG: $467.05
      MP: $435.65
      CO: $402

Pre-Flop: 9:club: Q:club: dealt to Hero (BTN)
      UTG calls $2, 2 folds, Hero raises to $9, 2 folds, UTG calls $7

Flop: ($21) T:spade: 8:club: 2:club: (2 Players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $14, UTG raises to $32, Hero calls $18

Turn: ($85) J:diamond: (2 Players)
      UTG bets $74, Hero raises to $194, UTG calls $120

River: ($473) A:spade: (2 Players)
      UTG bets $232.05 and is All-In, Hero calls $217 and is All-In

Results: $907 Pot
      Hero showed 9:club: Q:club: and WON $904 (+$452 NET)
      UTG showed A:club: 7:club: and WON $15.05 (-$436.95 NET)

we isolate an utg limper with Q9s utg. for me Q9s if definatley strong enough here. we hit a great flop for our hand and cbet. when checkraised we have to decide whether to raise or just call. the advantage about raising is that villain is not really representing a very strong hand here. he limp/called utg basically the most likely strong holdings are a set auf 2s or 8s but would he raise so small with those hands? this bet doesnt protect very good on a drawheavy board like that and checkraising to a higher amount would make it easier to get all the money in on later streets. the bad part about reraising on the flop is that we put us into a very tough spot when villain decides to shove cause we donna put in 200bb in a single raised pot on a draw. anyways i kinda put villain here on a draw himself or a bluff. so i decided to call ip and take it away on a turn very often with a bet. (if we dont improve) however we do hit one of our best outs. so from there its been kinda easy to play.
      obviously we got lucky cause we wouldve lost our entire stack on a club but im still confused about villains river play here. i mean i dont see how this shove can be for value. but i dont like it as a bluff either since we are repping more then just an overpair.

2)

Hero (BTN): $400
      SB: $219.40
      BB: $588.70
      UTG: $480.75
      CO: $402.95

Pre-Flop: Q:diamond: A:club: dealt to Hero (BTN)
      2 folds, Hero raises to $7, SB raises to $24, BB folds, Hero calls $17

Flop: ($50) Q:club: 2:diamond: 3:club: (2 Players)
      SB bets $32, Hero calls $32

Turn: ($114) T:spade: (2 Players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $55, SB calls $55

River: ($224) J:club: (2 Players)
      SB bets $108.40 and is All-In, Hero folds

Results: $224 Pot
      SB showed and WON $329.40 (+$218.40 NET)

here villain has reraised us quite a bit so we decide to make a stand in position with AQo. a reasonable holding in my oppinion. often times i think its to loose a limit like that to 4bet-shove or 4bet/call with a hand like that.
      anyways we flop tptk and decide to just call his cbet. the reasoning for that is that we give him a pretty wide range here and often times hell miss here. so we wanna give him some rope. protection is not to important here because if another club comes on the turn we would also pick up the nutfd and can still easily get the money in.
      on the turn i was a bit disapointed to see him checking i opted to make a small bet hoping he would make something dumb and c/r all in with worse.plus we get another bet of weaker made hands.
      on the river all of a sudden shoves right into us. reviewing the board here we have to admit that we dont beat a single hand of the top of his reraising range. TT/JJ/QQ/KK/AA AK, and also some other holdings like JT/QT/QJ have us beat. i rarely see him bluffing here because he called a bet on a turn and its rare that ppl do that in order to set up a strange bluff like that so he had to have some kind of hand there. and i dont think hes shoving stuff like KQ or 99 into but tries to see a free sd,therefore i decided to make a tough laydown ,getting really good odds.

3)

SB: $97.90
      Hero (BB): $472.90
      UTG: $813.90
      MP: $200
      CO: $488.05
      BTN: $658.05

Pre-Flop: Q:spade: A:heart: dealt to Hero (BB)
      2 folds, CO raises to $8, 2 folds, Hero calls $6

Flop: ($17) T:spade: T:heart: A:spade: (2 Players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $12, Hero calls $12

Turn: ($41) 8:spade: (2 Players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $32, Hero calls $32

River: ($105) Q:heart: (2 Players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $92.25, Hero folds

Results: $105 Pot
      CO showed and WON $194.25 (+$142.25 NET)

in this hand i was a bit lost tbh. i came to this table late in the session because another one broke up. i had no history with villain.i did not 3bet pre because it puts us into tough spots postflop very often since he can call us quite loose being 200bb deep. i c/c the flop which is pretty standard imo. c/c the turn again with a good chacne of being good and having hte fd.
      on the river i think we are never a head of his valuebetting range. i mean betting AKo of here would be very very thin. he would never bet AJ imo.so he has either a complete bluff or us beat. problem is that there are many hands in his openraising range which hit kinda crucial here. AA,AT,KT,QT,JT,T9,KJ,88 is possible--- sometimes we split against AQ but thats about it. i still dont know what to think about this hand tbh but im looking forward for some of your imput on this one ;)
      cu next week
    • JoJo0606
      JoJo0606
      Bronze
      Hey cool coaching today.

I think that last hand is ok to fold. There are too many better hands there and since you played it so pasivly you cant realy know if thats a 3rd barrel bluff or value bet.

I would still like a check/raise on the flop to define his range a little more but as played i think a fold is best.
    • nairoon
      nairoon
      Bronze
      no coaching today? :(
    • benjo
      benjo
      Black
      January 8th
      sup guys , im back ;)
      Just finished a 520hand session of Nl100 FTP. Wound up about even. Surpringsily being up $30 instead of down ;)
      Unfortunately there really werent to many big hands.Here are just the biggest ones with some small notes

1)
      Party Poker, $0.50/$1 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players

BB: $113.65
      Hero (UTG): $114.60
      MP: $101.65
      CO: $190.60
      BTN: $131
      SB: $206.80

Pre-Flop: K:club: K:spade: dealt to Hero (UTG)
      Hero raises to $3.50, MP folds, CO raises to $6, 3 folds, Hero raises to $19.50, CO calls $13.50

Flop: ($40.50) 5:heart: 3:heart: 3:club: (2 Players)
      Hero bets $20(small bet hoping to induce) , CO calls $20

Turn: ($80.50) 6:spade: (2 Players)
      Hero bets $75.10 and is All-In, CO calls $75.10

River: ($230.70) 8:diamond: (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: $230.70 Pot ($3 Rake)
      Hero showed K:club: K:spade: and WON $227.70 (+$113.10 NET)
      CO showed and LOST (-$114.60 NET)

2)
      Everything standard to the river. Board developed not so good for our Kings, BUT we can never fold on the river. If we c/c we allow villain to bet better hands and take free showdowns with worse,so we rather shove

BB: $121
      UTG: $30.35
      MP: $114.70
      CO: $87.45
      BTN: $58.90
      Hero (SB): $132.80

Pre-Flop: K:club: K:spade: dealt to Hero (SB)
      3 folds, BTN calls $1, Hero raises to $5, BB folds, BTN calls $4

Flop: ($11) 7:heart: 4:club: J:heart: (2 Players)
      Hero bets $7, BTN calls $7

Turn: ($25) 9:club: (2 Players)
      Hero bets $17, BTN calls $17

River: ($59) Q:heart: (2 Players)
      Hero bets $59, BTN calls $29.90 and is All-In

Results: $118.80 Pot
      BTN showed and LOST (-$58.90 NET)
      Hero showed K:club: K:spade: and WON $144.90 (+$86 NET)

3)
      Turnbet is kinda thin but ok. River i kinda saw it coming but we have to play it that way cause he could also have worse sets or twopairs and stuff...

MP: $100
      CO: $103.90
      BTN: $131.55
      SB: $99
      BB: $275.20
      Hero (UTG): $113.55

Pre-Flop: Q:club: Q:heart: dealt to Hero (UTG)
      Hero raises to $3.50, 2 folds, BTN calls $3.50, SB folds, BB calls $2.50

Flop: ($11) 7:spade: 4:club: 8:diamond: (3 Players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $7, BTN calls $7, BB folds

Turn: ($25) J:diamond: (2 Players)
      Hero bets $15, BTN calls $15

River: ($55) Q:spade: (2 Players)
      Hero bets $37, BTN raises to $106.05 and is All-In, Hero calls $51.05 and is All-In

Results: $231.10 Pot
      BTN showed and WON $246.10 (+$132.55 NET)
      Hero showed Q:club: Q:heart: and LOST (-$113.55 NET)
    • benjo
      benjo
      Black
      January 29th

Just finished a session of ~600 hands NL100 on stars. I won about 1,5 stacks.There havent been any bigger hands. The biggest one is the following where i made a bad riverdecision in my opinion..

Stars, $0.50/$1 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players

BTN: $335.40
      SB: $104.05
      Hero (BB): $101.50
      UTG: $99
      MP: $192.35
      CO: $91.30

Pre-Flop: K:diamond: Q:heart: dealt to Hero (BB)
      3 folds, BTN raises to $3, SB calls $2.50, Hero raises to $12, BTN calls $9, SB folds

Flop: ($27) A:diamond: Q:diamond: 5:heart: (2 Players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($27) 3:diamond: (2 Players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $17, Hero calls $17

River: ($61) J:spade: (2 Players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $34, Hero calls $34

In this hand i decided to go for the squeeze preflop cause BTN was pretty aggro,playing ~35/22. I expect to take it down a lot here. In this hand BTN pretty instantly coldcalled though.
      I flop 2nd pair with a backdoor flush and straight draw. I could obviously bet/fold here. Its the easiest line.
      However basically if we will only get called by better hands. If we check me might induce bluffs however and also control the size of the pot. I dont expect villain to bet KQ,JJ- type hands because it would be pretty much the same deal for him, being WA/WB.
      Flop goes checkcheck and we pickup the NutFD on the turn. Still a bet would rarely get called by worse so we cc again.
      River unfortuneately blanks and we cc. The problem here is that villain pretty much has an easy Valuebet with lots of aces in his range.I dont really expect him to bet KQ/KJ/TT for value. Plus if he has complete air he should usually just bet the flop. Thats why cf is probably better than cc. The main reason i called was his instant call pre which is often times a tell for NOT having a monster hand.Villain showed AA btw