[NL2-NL10] NL 100 - Set on drawheavy flop, 3-way pot

• IamPoZ
      IamPoZ
      Bronze
      Interesting hand from italian forums. I'd like to know the opinion of xarry and of other english collegues :)

best regards

Game, 8 Players
      LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

BB: $98
      Hero (UTG): $22.55
      UTG+1: $62.30
      MP1: $64
      MP2: $101.50
      CO: $66
      BTN: $19
      SB: $91.35

Pre-Flop: Q :spade: Q :club: dealt to Hero (UTG)
      Hero raises to $4, 5 folds, SB calls $3.50, BB calls $3

Flop: ($12) 8 :spade: T :spade: Q :heart: (3 Players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero...

a) push
      b) bet 8/10/12$

In other words: if we bet there's no way we can get out of the hand on the turn even with only 1 call, so does it makes sense giving 3.5~3 : 1 pot odds to BB (in case SB calls)?On the other hand overbetting (following 1,5 rule) can scare away many players.

Is protection the best way to maximize value in this hand?
  • 6 replies
    • LCBurrows
      LCBurrows
      Bronze
      i think you need to establish, in the context of your opinions of the other players, if you are going to lay it down on any turn, obviously Js is gonna be about the worst turn you can get, if it comes and someone has hit it they are likely to check you'll bet and be committed when they reraise. if you bet a lot of weak players will call anything up to pot bet with a flushdraw or open ender, then you really cant get away i dont think.

the other option is you push, so i think either way you are going to be going to the river and getting all your chips in or picking it up now, unless you really belive you'll throw it away if the Js comes.

maybe you could check there, someone may hit a decent, but behind, hand there and you'll double up.

i would say that if you don't think you can get away whatever the turn is push or check, if you might be able to maybe $8 is the best bet, pushes out bad hands and gives draws bad but tempting odds, they may think A or K is an out when is not.

im not sure if you were looking for anyone opinion but here is mine anyway :p i'm sure others will have better ideas.
    • awishformore
      awishformore
      Bronze
      I would play the normal line. 2/3 pot size bet. Even though the board is very draw-heavy, you will be ahead most of the time. Very easy standard play, in my opinion, not much to discuss.

On the other hand, if you would make the flop 3 spades, I would push right away.
      Bronze
      Don't think you need to protect too much here. I'd bet 2/3 pot since you have nuts and still many outs for table to double. But I don't think I'm capable of correctly judging this one, so I'll leave the topic unchecked for xylere to examine.
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      I would've also choose value bet of 2/3 before protection push. I think we are strong enough and this way villains wouldn't get good odds to make a call with OESD or with FD. On the other hand, someone holding a monster draw would already have bet instead of checked.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      i would push
      its easy, quick and profitable
      + im pushing really wide (any hand from UTG open range goes in) in this spot, therefore, i do the same with my strong made hands

and well, protection is also an issue here
    • IamPoZ
      IamPoZ
      Bronze
      Originally posted by awishformore
      I would play the normal line. 2/3 pot size bet. Even though the board is very draw-heavy, you will be ahead most of the time. Very easy standard play, in my opinion, not much to discuss.

On the other hand, if you would make the flop 3 spades, I would push right away.
      :D

I agree with xylere, I revised the hand in the same way on our board