[NL2-NL10] NL10: defending bb A10s vs btn

    • Yellowteea
      Yellowteea
      Bronze
      Joined: 04.02.2011 Posts: 21
      OOP: VPIP: 26, PFR: 24, 3B: 6, AF: 2.0, CBet: 33 FoldCBet: 0 Hands: 46

      Is it profitable to take this line? assuming we are flipping most of the time if get called.

      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

      Play hand

      €0.05/€0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

      Known players:
      7.79
      10.00
      10.00
      16.02
      10.00
      10.15


      Preflop: Hero is BB with A, T.
      2 folds, CO raises to €0.25, 2 folds, Hero calls €0.15.

      Flop: (€0.55) 4, 3, 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets €0.40, CO raises to €1.26, Hero raises to €9.75, CO calls €8.49.

      Turn: (€20.05) J (2 players)


      River: (€20.05) 5 (2 players)


      Final Pot: €20.05.
      Results follow:

      Hero shows a pair of fours(A T).
      CO shows a full-house, threes full of fours(3 3).

      CO wins with a full-house, threes full of fours(3 3).
  • 7 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Joined: 20.07.2008 Posts: 65,504
      Hello Yellowteea,

      The equity isn't going to be very good vs the raise there. We ain't even getting break-even equity assuming his range is stronger there. Vs even just TT+ range we are getting like 40% at the best. We need ~48% equity, maybe even towards 50% equity to make some profit. Which means we can't go broke here.

      Best Regards.
    • Yellowteea
      Yellowteea
      Bronze
      Joined: 04.02.2011 Posts: 21
      may i ask how are we calculating that we need ~48% equity?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Joined: 20.07.2008 Posts: 65,504
      Originally posted by Yellowteea
      may i ask how are we calculating that we need ~48% equity?
      Do you know how to calculate equity? Take a look into this article: link. And we can continue from there. :) Tell me if you need any help with it, I can show you how to calculate it later on. Try yourself.

      That might be also a good reason to start with beginner's course. ;)
    • Yellowteea
      Yellowteea
      Bronze
      Joined: 04.02.2011 Posts: 21
      After reading the article i couldnt yet understand the equity if we make a raise here,not calling the flop. After some calculating some possible variations found it eventually,big thanks :)

      As i understood it by the article we need more then 0.86/(0.55+1.26*2)=28% equity to make a profitable call on the flop.

      Since we dont have equity to go broke here assuming he is going to call with 33,44,A4,TT+ would it be better to call the flop ant c/fold river if we dont get any help?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Joined: 20.07.2008 Posts: 65,504
      Originally posted by Yellowteea
      After reading the article i couldnt yet understand the equity if we make a raise here,not calling the flop. After some calculating some possible variations found it eventually,big thanks :)

      As i understood it by the article we need more then 0.86/(0.55+1.26*2)=28% equity to make a profitable call on the flop.

      Since we dont have equity to go broke here assuming he is going to call with 33,44,A4,TT+ would it be better to call the flop ant c/fold river if we dont get any help?
      Don't really understand from where do you get those numbers in your calculations. :D Wanna explain?
    • Yellowteea
      Yellowteea
      Bronze
      Joined: 04.02.2011 Posts: 21
      We are talking here only about calling the flop :)
      $0.55 is the pot to the flop, $1.26 is my opponent bet, another $1.26=$0.4 from my first bet + $0.86 my investment if i decide to call.

      Win: $0.55 + $0.4 + $1.26 + $0.86=$3.07
      Investment: $0.86

      Equity = Investment / (Win+Investment)=0.86/3.07=0.28

      Correct me if i got something wrong :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Joined: 20.07.2008 Posts: 65,504
      Originally posted by Yellowteea
      We are talking here only about calling the flop :)
      $0.55 is the pot to the flop, $1.26 is my opponent bet, another $1.26=$0.4 from my first bet + $0.86 my investment if i decide to call.

      Win: $0.55 + $0.4 + $1.26 + $0.86=$3.07
      Investment: $0.86

      Equity = Investment / (Win+Investment)=0.86/3.07=0.28

      Correct me if i got something wrong :)
      If we are talking about calling then we should also talk about implied odds and not equity.