New to SSS, am I making mistakes?

• overson
      overson
      Bronze
      I started with $50 and now after about 6 hours of play on 4 to 6 tables which I can handle well, I am down to $30. Every time I go all in with AK i lose and every time I have a freeplay someone steals the blind.

I don't know if I should fold every hand in the small blind, so I sometimes call because I heard pros do that. I get committed fast and half to go all in when I know I lost. Usually when I get a good hand like 2 pair someone beats it with 3 of a kind. When I get a really great hand no one calls! What am I doing wrong?

To make this clear, someone at least clear up a few things please.
      1. do I fold good hands to min raise in position?
      2. do I let people steal my freeplay?
      3. can I fold more if I know I lost?
      4. How do I get more money when I get a good hand?
      5. do I ever play the small blind with cards not on the chart?

Thanks for the help, in advance.
  • 4 replies
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Stick 100% to the SHC, if you know your beat, FOLD.

1. You fold to a min raise if its not in the SHC.
      2. yes let people steal from you, only advanced players should resteal.
      3. If you know your beat, why invest chips?
      4. read all the available SSS articles, I think you should only be pushing on the flop anyway.
      5. Stick to the SHC, its been perfected to make money, why change it.

I have never used the SSS but these things seem pretty straight forward. #4 might not be 100% correct, but IMO I dont think a begginer should change anything it tells you in the articles.
    • overson
      overson
      Bronze
      Thanks for the reply. I'm playing at poker stars, maybe I should switch to a better site or move down to NL5, would that at least be positive EV?

1. Someone on the forum mentioned that a min raise is like limping so I shouldn't treat it like a raise.
      2. For now I will let them steal, but my mistake might have been calling it.
      3. I get committed fast.
      4. the articles say bet 2/3 of the pot, but sometimes I try to slow play.
      5. I'm already paying for the small blind, and sometimes its very likely no one will raise. It isn't clear in any articles what to do in the small blind.

Also sometimes I have the best on the flop but they call my bet and then they improve. In this difficult situation whats the best thing to do on the flop, turn, and river?

Thanks and I am going to stick to more folding especially when I don't hit top pair and folding instead of bluffing when i didn't raise pre-flop. But I am definitely unsure of pushing on the flop. Any further comments would be appreciated.
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Also sometimes I have the best on the flop but they call my bet and then they improve. In this difficult situation whats the best thing to do on the flop, turn, and river?
      I'm not 100% sure, but I think if you are betting half your stack on the flop, then you should push instead. I wouldn't suggest that a begginer SSS player slow plays. You have to protect your cards when infront in most cases. The best advice I can give you is to post lots of hands, visit coachings, and read the articles until you know them word for word.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      I play ever since the beginning on 0.05/0.10 (NL10) stakes. so you should play there.
      Going at higher limits will make you go broke in an instant.